All Things Ice Dance: Canadian | Page 13 | Golden Skate

All Things Ice Dance: Canadian

slipslidin

On the Ice
Yes, blue dog, I agree that Kharis deserves more attention. She projects an aura of sweetness and has a lovely smile. I hope her coaching team will give more thought to her costumes. They should remember that she was once nominated for worst costume of the season, and never let it happen again. I hope they will treat her as more than a foil to her partner.

Leg length doesn't matter, as long as they reach the ground.

Ravensque

On the Ice
Yes, blue dog, I agree that Kharis deserves more attention. She projects an aura of sweetness and has a lovely smile. I hope her coaching team will give more thought to her costumes. They should remember that she was once nominated for worst costume of the season, and never let it happen again. I hope they will treat her as more than a foil to her partner.

Leg length doesn't matter, as long as they reach the ground.

Kharis is a very lovely young woman and is very curvey in the right places....but I've been dismayed at her costuming as well. She needs to be highlighted much better. Both their dances this year were awsome and their improvement is impressive. They also have a very nice connection to each other.......something it seems is difficult to achieve and many of the higher placed teams do not have.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Yes, please..nothing too fluffy on Kharis.:mad: I think they should do well with a polka ( a real polka please ) . Her contagious smile will be a great asset in setting the tone.

W/P might look good going the military route ...or can-can (ish)..

V/M can do anything well , and when we see them on the ice ,I'm sure they'll be able to make us forget that Scott said he hates this choice..:laugh:

P/I..I don't know..we don't have the advantage of many years to look back on to judge. They've used her lovely floatyness to full advantage so far ( And who could blame them ? It is to die for .) But because they've been a more inward couple than an outward couple , they might need to do some work on character expression (apart from any physical strengthening) over the summer. Whatever they need , just please get it for them , no excuses.

O/W won't have a problem projecting ; W/L have been excellent at character pieces at all phases of their history ( just think of the charming "Log Driver's Waltz" they did for Hann-McCurdy & Correno )..so as long as they're working away on neatening up Thomas , I expect something nice from them.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Meryl did say when asked if she could change one thing about herself, what would it be, that she would ask for longer legs.

It's harder, but it can be done.

to get longer legs? I hear that's painful. ;) :biggrin:

IIRC I wasn't impressed with Meryl & Charlie's YP in 2008... but I could be mistaking their CD with thier OD, too... I've slept since then...

slipslidin

On the Ice
Ooooh, a whole season of Yankee polkas. My eyes! My ears! I'm not surprised you slept for four years.

ETA: This may be the year we learn to love the Short Dance.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ooooh, a whole season of Yankee polkas. My eyes! My ears! I'm not surprised you slept for four years.

ETA: This may be the year we learn to love the Short Dance.

actually the YP is my favorite of the CDs so I am very much looking forward to it...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And it will be so much more fun when we don't have to hear O Susanna every 4th or whatever it was cut. The skaters can pick their own music.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
And it will be so much more fun when we don't have to hear O Susanna every 4th or whatever it was cut. The skaters can pick their own music.

I liked the CD canned music for the YP

I think it'd be hysterical if a team came out for any of these SDs and used the canned CD music as thei music for the SD... just put it in a loop

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I worry about some of the canadian teamw w/r/t the Yankee Polka.

I think V/M will nail it. They've been seniors for 7 seasons now and have yet to encounter a style they can't do amazingly well. I expect this will be no exception.

I'm actually most excited for W/P, who I think are perfectly suited for this style. I hope they go for a full out traditional polka, because Kaitlyn has that sort of infectious enthusiasm that will fit perfectly with that style. Also, as far as I know, Andrew has experience with folk dancing, so that could really help bring an authentic quality to the piece. I remember how good they were just skating the YP as a CD a couple of years ago, so I can't wait to see what they do with this.

As for G/P, Mary Poppins, whatever the piece, is a good choice for them I think. They can use some of the theatrics to their advantage (they're both very expressive) to cover up some of their other flaws r/e technique. I expect them to play it way up, so much so that I hope the judges are able to see through the theatrics (sorry, I'm still bitter about the judging at nationals).

I think this will be fine for R/H as well. My problem with them has been that they tend to look a bit juniorish to me compared to the other teams, though they improved in leaps and bound in that respect this past season. I think this style will cover that up a bit, and Kharis especially skates with such joy and enthusiasm (she's like Weaver in that respect) that I think they can pull this off. I cringe, though, when I think of what she'll be wearing while doing it.

It's P/I that I worry about. After the year from hell, I'm not sure about how they'll look coming back. I'm not actually talking about their physical ability though. Alexandra already seemed much better in that respect at 4CC (where Mitchell was the one who struggled), and I'm sure their being smart about her re-hab. I'm more concerned about their confidence, which was decimated time and time again. They don't have experience with this type of extroverted style yet, though I feel they have excelled at forming a believable connection with each other as was required by Casablanca and their waltz/tango from last year, so it's hard to say how they'll cope with that. The truth is, they're wildcards, and they've only completed five actual comeptitions in the past two seasons, so it's impossible to guess how they'll handle the stress. They're still a newer team. I honestly believe these two are the best in the country after V/M and W/P, and I think they shoul be the ones who make it to Sochi. To do that, though, they're going to have to have a good season in 2012/2013. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I liked the CD canned music for the YP

I think it'd be hysterical if a team came out for any of these SDs and used the canned CD music as thei music for the SD... just put it in a loop

HAHAHA

This year, one of the ISI Freestyle 3 girls skated to the paso doble organ music as her free skate! I felt like doing the paso doble compulsory every time she'd practice her program.

slipslidin

On the Ice
In assessing the Canadian teams and the Yankee Polka, I think we need to remember that this will be a Short Dance. Much will depend on music choice, the short dance has produced some examples of the required rhythm imposed upon music that was never intended for it. IIRC the judges tend to be fairly resistant to this approach, although I found some of the'wangos' pretty entertaining. Right along with this we must consider choreography and costumes.

Our top two teams are among the top four in the world. Their choreographers are top notch, as are their costumes. I think we can reasonably expect to be diverted by their performances.

The teams below them breathe less rarified air. They might well fall short in any of these areas.

So I think it is hard to predict how they will fare. Will any of them start clutching at straws, like the Russian teams, and make some changes? Stay tuned.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
The Yankee Polka is the ultimate short skaters' dance. It is not a great dance for tall skaters. It's also very difficult and when it was a CD and not a SD, few teams performed it well. At 4CC in Hamilton, only the top 4 teams danced the polka. The rest did painfully awkward sequences.

Tonichelle, you are a glutton for punishment.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
YP may smile on shorter couples ( Rejoice, all you shorties !), but I imagine W/P, for example , will be able to execute it well..when you get up to the very top couples ( and we have 2 , lucky us !), their skill and polish have to be an equalizing factor, no matter what their height.

I'm curious to see which of our JR. teams will avail themselves of the blues/ hip-hop option . This could be fun...( or a complete disaster ):laugh:

slipslidin

On the Ice
Could a very good tall couple, beat a pretty good short one? Will the YP be the equalizer? Or will it be like it be like street fightin' were the big man figures to beat the small man? It will be a long hot summer before we find out.

blue dog

Record Breaker
YP may smile on shorter couples ( Rejoice, all you shorties !), but I imagine W/P, for example , will be able to execute it well..when you get up to the very top couples ( and we have 2 , lucky us !), their skill and polish have to be an equalizing factor, no matter what their height.

I'm curious to see which of our JR. teams will avail themselves of the blues/ hip-hop option . This could be fun...( or a complete disaster ):laugh:

I wonder how many of the juniors would choose the hip/hop option. Some may opt for the blues/swing.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I'm thinking I might enjoy all blues the most. There's quite a range of tempos, and it could make for a more cohesive dance. ( Says she who almost can't get enough of the blues ):rolleye:

blue dog

Record Breaker
I'm thinking I might enjoy all blues the most. There's quite a range of tempos, and it could make for a more cohesive dance. ( Says she who almost can't get enough of the blues ):rolleye:

I love the blues, too! I just hope some coaches/choreographers won't try to force certain rhythms into the SD. This year would be the perfect year to use Harlem Nocturne...not when the last time it was used by R/H.

slipslidin

On the Ice
I'm anticipating a great year for juniors. We have some very promising young teams and I spend hours hunched over my computer, watching them every chance I get.

How many will choose hip hop? I'm curious to see how they handle it.

I love the blues, and Blue dog, I don't believe any team would hesitate to use Harlem Nocturne because R/H used it in their latin progam last year.