All Things Ice Dance: Canadian | Page 14 | Golden Skate

All Things Ice Dance: Canadian

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I love the blues, too! I just hope some coaches/choreographers won't try to force certain rhythms into the SD. This year would be the perfect year to use Harlem Nocturne...not when the last time it was used by R/H.

you just can't let it go, eh? :laugh:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin: Just Can't Let It Go...sounds like something by Robert Cray..

And blue dog..I'm wondering what will happen to the uplifting rule if someone uses Johnny Winter..(coming in at the end of the bridge ...)

....Life don't mean a thing and I don't know what to do.

Money , you made me / Some very fast friends
Just like you made them / you're gonna break them in the end
Somebody's gotta suffer / Somebody sho' gotta feel some pain
If it's gonna rain down misery / Why does it all have to fall on me?

They'll have to allow for exceptions to the rule...:rolleye:

Last edited:

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I wish I actually knew what one of these SD's is supposed to look like. I'm having a hard time visualising it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I love Tessa and Scott's bubble:

“I always say I like feeling that we’re in this bubble on the ice,” Virtue says. “I like only connecting with Scott, like he is the only other person who exists and that is comforting to me. It is partly how I manage nerves, but it is also where we partly excel in our skating because we can forget everything else.”

“It is what we have found works best,” Moir says. “When we think about making the people in the audience happy, or trying to make them feel something, it kind of goes to waste. Usually we have our best skates when we just think about each other, and we just think about being in unison, and think about the program we’re trying to do.”

<snip>

“Instead we think about bringing people in,” Virtue says about their routines. “We’re inviting people into this little world in this moment, and we want people to share it with us, instead of reaching out to them.”

Whether or not they are a couple, when they are performing on ice, they are the perfect couple truly loving and at one with each other. It comes across because it is real and genuine. I am glad they know it works for them so they draw people in naturally, without trying to reach out to them. Trying is usually futile. Being leads to fulfillment. Their being themselves to each other is truly beautiful. Instead of the sad love of "you and me against the world", it's "you and me inviting and granting a privilege to the world".

Well, actually their connection comes across off ice too:

Moir says they are a “super team.” Virtue says she cheers everything Moir does, even knotting his necktie just right. But nothing feels forced or awkward. He talks, she watches him; he looks at her and she speaks. It is a connection most married couples never have. They look mostly at each other, not at the rest of the world. After fifteen years skating together, they belong to each other.

They always look at each other even when the other is speaking to other people. It seems natural and not put on. However they want to define the relationship, it is a very special connection. They really belong together. I wish them the very best in their professional and personal lives. And I thank them for the privilege of watching them.

Last edited:

callalily

On the Ice
I love Tessa and Scott's bubble:

Whether or not they are a couple, when they are performing on ice, they are the perfect couple truly loving and at one with each other. It comes across because it is real and genuine. I am glad they know it works for them so they draw people in naturally, without trying to reach out to them. Trying is usually futile. Being leads to fulfillment. Their being themselves to each other is truly beautiful. Instead of the sad love of "you and me against the world", it's "you and me inviting and granting a privilege to the world".

Well, actually their connection comes across off ice too:

They always look at each other even when the other is speaking to other people. It seems natural and not put on. However they want to define the relationship, it is a very special connection. They really belong together. I wish them the very best in their professional and personal lives. And I thank them for the privilege of watching them.

^
Whether they end up together (off-ice) or not, I also wish them the best. :) They have been through such struggles in the past with injury and surgery. Tessa seems to be healthy now, and I'm thrilled about that. They have a great, mutually supportive relationship.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vanessa CRONE has teamed with Nikolaj SORENSEN (DEN); they will debut internationally at the Lake Placid Dance competition (7/25-28) and will skate for Canada.

Sorensen last competed at Worlds 2011 with Canadian ice dancer Katelyn Good; they finished 14th in the qualifying round and did not make it to the SD. Their best Senior finish was 14th at 2010 Nebelhorn.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
In terms of eligibility, they are eligible. Sorensen has already had the time off necessary to compete for another country. It's doubtful he'd get Canadian citizenship in time. More generally, unlikely. Should be interesting to see if they get a GP spot (they should, based on the same rules that will allow G/P one)

I wonder who'll be their coaches? Good/Sorensen worked with Dubreuil/Lauzon.

Anyway, I'm glad Crone will be back and wish this new team all the best.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
In terms of eligibility, they are eligible. Sorensen has already had the time off necessary to compete for another country. It's doubtful he'd get Canadian citizenship in time. More generally, unlikely. Should be interesting to see if they get a GP spot (they should, based on the same rules that will allow G/P one)

I wonder who'll be their coaches? Good/Sorensen worked with Dubreuil/Lauzon.

Anyway, I'm glad Crone will be back and wish this new team all the best.

His citizenship issue is the reason for my question, if by chance they are good enough to be one of the three Canadian teams to go.

PatC

Rinkside
Sounds promising, and I'm glad they're going to D&L. It should make for some interesting competition at Cdn Nats this year.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So, like Jessica Dubé, Venessa has to partner with and train a much lower level male. Let's hope they are a good match and she is what he needs to manifest his talents quickly into high level skills.

Re. residency and citizenship, It helps that he has already been skating for Canada.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Wow ! I was taking a nap when someone called to tell me this..I wondered if I was dreaming..:laugh:

I'm very happy Vanessa has found a partner ! What a disappointing time she's been through. I hope this works out well for her . Just from a quick glance I only saw one clip of Goode / Sorensen , and he definitely needed some shaping up..but it was from 2009 , so looks could be a bit deceptive.

Also while it may be good news for them re: the GP , won't that make P/I's GP prospects all the more desperate ?