Page 15 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Ice Dance: Canadian

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Especially what they skated to when they were barely out of double runners in pre juvenile or whatever.

Rinkside

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I've moved on..but I thought I'd done that several posts ago...go figure..

So Piper Gilles just tweeted her and Paul's short dance:
    And Our new Shortdance is........Drum Roll Please............... Mary Poppins!!!!!!!!
    Is there Polka in Mary Poppins?

Step in Time maybe?

One of the songs that wasn't used in the movie was "North Pole Polka"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good-Time_Girl

It was about Polar Bears dancing the polka.

The costumes would clearly be a hoot, but I doubt that's what they are doing. None of the other songs strikes me as a polka beat.

■Overture - Orchestral medley of several of the songs from the film, including "Feed the Birds", "A Spoonful of Sugar", "Chim Chim Cher-ee" and "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".
    ■"Jolly Holiday" - A few bars of the song, played by Dick Van Dyke with his "one man band" gear.
    ■"Sister Suffragette" - Dick Van Dyke, Glynis Johns, Hermione Baddeley and Reta Shaw, with non-singing interruptions by Elsa Lanchester. Initially heard in an a cappella rendition by Johns, just prior to singing the full, orchestra-accompanied song with the house staff; and a music-only version in the "Step in Time" sequence.
    ■"The Life I Lead" - David Tomlinson (later reprised with Julie Andrews as "A British Bank" and with Dick Van Dyke as "A Man has Dreams".)
    ■"The Perfect Nanny" - Karen Dotrice and Matthew Garber
    ■"A Spoonful of Sugar" - Julie Andrews (the 2004 DVD release reveals that Andrews also performed the bird's whistling during this number)
    ■"Jolly Holiday" - Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews, with Thurl Ravenscroft, Marni Nixon, Paul Frees and others
    ■"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" - Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke with J. Pat O'Malley and others
    ■"Stay Awake" - Julie Andrews
    ■"I Love to Laugh" - Dick Van Dyke, Julie Andrews and Ed Wynn
    ■"Feed the Birds" - Julie Andrews (Walt Disney's favorite song from the score, and the leadoff melody in the overture)
    ■"Fidelity Fiduciary Bank" - Dick Van Dyke, David Tomlinson and others
    ■"Chim Chim Cher-ee" - Performed several times with different lyrics by Dick Van Dyke; also performed by Van Dyke with Julie Andrews, Karen Dotrice, and Matthew Garber (won the Academy Award for Best Original Song)
    ■"Step in Time" - Dick Van Dyke
    ■"A Man Has Dreams" - David Tomlinson and Dick Van Dyke. This is a slower-paced rendition of "The Life I Lead" which incorporates a modified version of "A Spoonful of Sugar".
    ■"Feed the Birds" - Orchestral and choral reprise, played over Mr. Banks's solitary walk to the bank at night.
    ■"Let's Go Fly a Kite" - Glynis Johns, David Tomlinson, Dick Van Dyke and others.
    ■Closing credits theme - Includes an instrumental reprise of "Spoonful of Sugar" followed by a choral reprise of "Let's Go Fly a Kite".
    The YP needs Yankee Polka
    Music - Polka 2/4
    Tempo - 60 measures of 2 beats per minute
    - 120 beats per minute

So your guess is as good as mine, which MP song they will use.

They did classic children's movies last year with Wonka, so this is kind of a repeat theme.

Actually I don't think it's a stretch for Step In Time or Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious to be used for the polka... I can actually see the pattern in both... it's just not your typical polka sound... If Harlem Nocturne can be approved for last season's SD, Mary Poppins can certainly work for the YP!
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 04-22-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by isabella duncan View Post
    Thank you for this insider info about the history of R/H! Very humourously done! Add my HA, HA, HA to Colleen's!
    Add a third HA HA HA! This made my day! Welcome OreoCookie! Please please post long and often, as they say!

I wonder if they'll go super voidy in the short dance though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    One of the songs that wasn't used in the movie was "North Pole Polka"

So your guess is as good as mine, which MP song they will use.

They did classic children's movies last year with Wonka, so this is kind of a repeat theme.

They'll want to start their first international season with a splash I'm sure!

I'm thinking maybe Step In Time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu23HHmOG48

Supercaliwhatsit is in ithyphallic rhythm, not polka rhythm.

(the thing one learns in a survey class of ancient poetry)

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    They'll want to start their first international season with a splash I'm sure!

I'm thinking maybe Step In Time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu23HHmOG48

Supercaliwhatsit is in ithyphallic rhythm, not polka rhythm.

(the thing one learns in a survey class of ancient poetry)
    I think the step pattern/CD still works within the music though

If they did Step in Time they could have chimney sweep costumes.

But if they did Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious they could spell it out with their arms during their twizzle sequence!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkHV6THFoDs

Custom Title
    I have seen R/H live and consider them a nice team. They had a very charming free dance, this year, which was actually scored sixth at Canadians, all spinning aside.
    They did a fine job at worlds.

They seem to have an energetic group of fans, who keep them in the forefront on this board, but of course, they have been around for a few years.
    Last edited by slipslidin; 04-22-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Custom Title
    isabella, I'd argue like you say, 1.93 doesn't present a full picture. But neither does your post. O/W were still juniors at Nationals, and they had to debut a new step pattern (they were doing the Cha cha as juniors) at Nationals. Additionally, the rules mean that O/W had less scoring potential than P/I or R/H at their later competitions. I'm fine with O/W being behind R/H and P/I in PCS (though I think P/I are more naturally talented than R/H).

Quote Originally Posted by isabella duncan View Post
    Further nit-picking actually shows that the 1.93 points between fourth and sixth places hide the fact that in terms of the SD Program Component Scores, R/H (27.92) had higher than both P/I (27.88) and O/W (25.25). Okay, R/H and P/I were this close but a judge actually gave O/W 5's, while R/H and P/I have all 6's and even 7's. In the FD, again, R/H had higher Program Component Scores (45.18) than P/I (44.03) and O/W (41.44). It was the judging panel, not the tech panel that in the end, placed R/H fourth, P/I fifth and O/W sixth.

All these three teams had their turn to compete internationally after Nationals: O/W at the JGF, I/P at 4CC and R/H at Worlds. Different competitions, different judging panels, different tech panels, true, but R/H had the best showing of them all. Being the runt in the strong Skate Canada Ice Dance presence in Nice, R/H did not do too badly, receiving a standing ovation after their FD.

It is my opinion that O/W would need to work harder still to really come close to where R/H and P/I are at this point in time. 1.98 points difference does not present the fuller picture.
    I would say that R&H's abilities are not all that common. They took a tango to France, as a team that hadn't had a lot of puffery done for them, and they got a standing ovation.

That's remarkable, and it indicates an important ability that is too often overlooked and undervalued. It cannot always be taught. In France, all of the last flight except one team got an enthusiastic standing ovation. That ability to draw the audience in is something that is a real help in boosting a team to elite status, and most of the top teams have it. It's one of the things that sets them apart.

Consider the Duchesnays, for example.

So I ask, do R&H have any mixed citizenship? I'm sure there are other countries who would love to have them, if Canada does not want them.

Page 15 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast