All Things Ice Dance: Canadian | Page 18 | Golden Skate

All Things Ice Dance: Canadian

slipslidin

On the Ice
It looks to me as though P&I need to work really hard to regain their form, PLUS catch up on the improvements they haven't been able to make in the past two seasons. I expect them to build speed and power at the DSC, and I do not want to see them sent to international competitions when they are not ready to compete. That strategy was a mystery to me last year, and I can't imagine what they gained from it. I had thought they might be third in Canada last year, and now they must really fight to save their career, even if the problems at Canadians don't persist.

Let's hope R&H continue to work hard and improve, and may the skating gods allow them two good programs and decent costumes.

And while we're about it, let's not forget O&W, another new team, but one that has contrived to make great improvements in the past two years. I fully expect that trend to continue. Some folks dismiss Wing and Lowe as unable to teach the basics, but I am not among them. The way O&W are handled this year will be a test of their coaching team's ability to handle a senior team.

I don't advocate dumping any team that competed at Nationals this year.

Last edited:

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I apologize if this has already been poseted and I just missed it, but W/P announced that their SD will be to the Sound of Music. We'll have to wait and see what cuts they use, but I think this could work well for them.

The program is apparently in honour of Andrew's grandma, who passed away a few days ago.

emdee

Final Flight
I was privileged to see Paul & Vanessa from a few feet away at the Ontario awards last year. They were so much better in person than on TV. They took my breath away.

That being said I can see that the dynamic between Piper & Paul is very vibrant and I can see why Carol Lane feels that is a good thing. I know Piper has a long way to go before she gets to Vanessa's quality and line but I am hopeful of a very bright future for these talented young people. I look forward to seeing them at Canadians and hopefully at worlds in 2013.

Macassar88

Medalist
I heard that Dubreuil and Lauzon are coaching Crone and Sorenson. Who else have they coached in the past?

Dragonlady

Final Flight
D&L coach the Hasegawas. I was really impressed with this team when I saw them two years ago at Thornhill. She's very tall and they have beautiful lines. I thought they would do better internationally, but maybe I was expecting too much too soon.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
D&L coach the Hasegawas. I was really impressed with this team when I saw them two years ago at Thornhill. She's very tall and they have beautiful lines. I thought they would do better internationally, but maybe I was expecting too much too soon.

I like the Hasegawas, too. They still need to work on getting even closer together when they skate (proximity), which will help Connor's posture (he tends to hunch over a bit, to be closer to Victoria).

jolen

Rinkside
I'll admit; I didn't jump on the Gilles/Poirier bandwagon right away, because I did favor Vanessa. I always thought she was the better of the two, and when Carol Lane was out giving interviews, saying Vanessa was nowhere near the skater Paul was, well, it left a sour taste in mouth (not exactly sour grapes).

To my certain knowledge, Carol Lane has never given any interviews saying that Vanessa was a lesser skater than Paul, nor has she ever thought this to be the case. Couples part for all sorts of reasons, not the least of which is that, as in other relationships, they grow up to be very different people, and that is just part of life.

Lane may have not overtly stated she thought less of Vanessa, but there were indirect snide remarks made about Vanessa and her ability. Lane also made comparisons to Piper, and to her being much more what Lane wanted for Paul.

csparkles - bluedog did not mention the partnership breaking up, but I would venture to say that most couples are not the same after having been together for a long time and are not the same people they were 5 or 10 years earlier. Not a reason for breaking up the partnership. In fact, if nurtured properly by a professional coach, the differences could actually be a strength.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I wonder whether there was a problem with which country they were to compete for?
Originally, it was said they would compete for Canada, which always seemed like kind of a nonstarter to me.

I thought Nikolaj would have a lot better chance trying for Olympics from Denmark, and figured Canada wasn't releasing Vanessa in time. And Denmark is another one of the tricky places to get citizenships, too, AFAIR?.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I had heard that Vanessa and Keifer Hubbell was a done deal but neither of them could get releases from their respective federations. If Canada was unwilling to release Vanessa in the first instance, it's unlikely they'd release her to skate for Denmark.

On one hand I can see why the federations are reluctant to lose a high-calibre skater but I would rather see these kids find partners and have the opportunity to compete.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Poor Venessa. I suppose a suitable male Dance partner is much harder to find than a female partner. She is too high calibre for Skate Canada to let go but they can't find her a Canadian partner. What a shame and what a waste of time and talent while other teams establish themselves.

eta. I wonder if Bryce Davison would consider Ice Dance?

Last edited:

slipslidin

On the Ice
It's a small planet, now. When you see three young women, all capable of being top ten in the world, but unable to find a partner in their own country. You can't help but wonder if the time has come to re-think the jingoism of the Olympic Ideal.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:disapp: Well, this is depressing..

In the midst of it all, I'll be waiting to see what the "more about Vanessa by next week " refers to.I may be guilty of wishful thinking , but I can't help hoping that's a hint that she's not finished yet.

I can hardly believe what the girl has been through to date ( Likewise Emily Samuelson in the US . If things don't work out for them , they should get together and write a juicy tell-all )

Or they could start making the round of shows together featuring a sort of sardonic number to Monty Python's " Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life." :rolleye:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Kieffer Hubbell made it sound like it was more his decision to compete for the USA, not Canada (and we all know that Crone won't be competing anywhere else due to her Olympian status and Skate Canada's policies).

That said, Crone's current Facebook poll: "Do you want to see Vanessa still skate?"

heyhey

On the Ice
Well it's apparent that Vanessa Crone is willing to relocate to continue her skating career. If Skate Canada had any class, they would release her

blue dog

Record Breaker
To my certain knowledge, Carol Lane has never given any interviews saying that Vanessa was a lesser skater than Paul, nor has she ever thought this to be the case. Couples part for all sorts of reasons, not the least of which is that, as in other relationships, they grow up to be very different people, and that is just part of life.

http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/586-piper-gilles-and-paul-poirier

I certainly hope that it wasn't Carol who led the writer to write the following about Vanessa:

Though many in the skating fraternity were of the opinion that Crone was not as good as her partner, her excellent physical condition made up for her lack of elegance.

Poor Venessa. I suppose a suitable male Dance partner is much harder to find than a female partner. She is too high calibre for Skate Canada to let go but they can't find her a Canadian partner. What a shame and what a waste of time and talent while other teams establish themselves.

eta. I wonder if Bryce Davison would consider Ice Dance?

Oddly, Vanessa has considered going into singles! She has as high as her double axel. If Lesley Hawker could learn triples, then higher-difficulty triples at a later age, who's to say Vanessa can't, if it came down to it?

Last edited:

blue dog

Record Breaker
:disapp: Well, this is depressing..

In the midst of it all, I'll be waiting to see what the "more about Vanessa by next week " refers to.I may be guilty of wishful thinking , but I can't help hoping that's a hint that she's not finished yet.

I can hardly believe what the girl has been through to date ( Likewise Emily Samuelson in the US . If things don't work out for them , they should get together and write a juicy tell-all )

Or they could start making the round of shows together featuring a sort of sardonic number to Monty Python's " Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life." :rolleye:

I think it's time, at least, for the ISU to add solo dance to the world championships. Look at all the amazing partnerless dancers we have:

Domnina
Khokhlova
Crone
Olson
Bonacorsi

Or, perhaps, they can make synchro skating an Olympic sport, and NEXXICE and the Haydenettes would surely love to have these ladies on their team.

ETA- Samuelson was incorrectly listed. As far as I know, she is still with Todd.

Last edited:

conga

On the Ice
I think it's time, at least, for the ISU to add solo dance to the world championships. Look at all the amazing partnerless dancers we have:

Samuelson
Domnina
Khokhlova
Crone
Olson
Bonacorsi

Or, perhaps, they can make synchro skating an Olympic sport, and NEXXICE and the Haydenettes would surely love to have these ladies on their team.

Neither Olson nor Bonacorsi are partnerless. Olson has reportedly been with Kieffer Hubbell since right after US Nationals and Bonacorsi has recently teamed up with Ian Lorello. I believe both teams are training in Detroit.

clairecloutier

Final Flight

Samuelson
Domnina
Khokhlova
Crone
Olson
Bonacorsi

Did Emily Samuelson/Todd Gilles end their partnership?