All Things Ice Dance: Canadian | Page 21 | Golden Skate

All Things Ice Dance: Canadian

icefan1005

Rinkside
1. Define "passion" for me, someone.

2. How much technical excellence are you willing to sacrifice for it?

How can you have passion and fire when going from required element to required element? The best teams can do so, and they do so with a scorching vigour that blows my mind away. Since we're talking about Canadian ice dance, a demonstration.

Virtue/Moir 2010 OD, Olympic Games: What they do here is nothing short of sublime. Yeah, they're weaving together all these complex elements - the stunning curve lifts. The hand clappy-twizzles. But Tessa's dress movements would make any toreador tip his cap with respect. And this straight line step sequence is legendary. The raging bravado. The rising action. The pure catharsis. Look at Tessa's face at the end. She's practically breathing fire. And Scott? Sweet mother-of-Abraham-Lincoln, he's exhilarating. This is athleticism and passion and energy in one combustible ball.

Thinking about it especially in light of Haugnauer's recent statements) it seems like, for some people, the only legitimate personality for a female ice dancer to have IS the DIVA. Which is retrograde, sexist, and kinda boring

Rules, restrictions... these things don't hinder creativity. Isn't Shakespeare's language more awe-inspiring because of the gorgeous iambic pentameter? Aren't Seraut's paintings even more beautiful in light of the exacting scientific thought behind it. But not all writers are Shakespeare. Not all painters are Seraut. We don't say that ImaginaryPogue's writings lack creativity - it's not his fault, it's that dasterdly iambic pentameter he's writing in. So why do we say that here?

This was wonderfully written, IP. Great description.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
1. Define "passion" for me, someone.

2. How much technical excellence are you willing to sacrifice for it?

How can you have passion and fire when going from required element to required element? The best teams can do so, and they do so with a scorching vigour that blows my mind away. Since we're talking about Canadian ice dance, a demonstration.

Virtue/Moir 2010 OD, Olympic Games: What they do here is nothing short of sublime. Yeah, they're weaving together all these complex elements - the stunning curve lifts. The hand clappy-twizzles. But Tessa's dress movements would make any toreador tip his cap with respect. And this straight line step sequence is legendary. The raging bravado. The rising action. The pure catharsis. Look at Tessa's face at the end. She's practically breathing fire. And Scott? Sweet mother-of-Abraham-Lincoln, he's exhilarating. This is athleticism and passion and energy in one combustible ball.

Thinking about it especially in light of Haugnauer's recent statements) it seems like, for some people, the only legitimate personality for a female ice dancer to have IS the DIVA. Which is retrograde, sexist, and kinda boring

Rules, restrictions... these things don't hinder creativity. Isn't Shakespeare's language more awe-inspiring because of the gorgeous iambic pentameter? Aren't Seraut's paintings even more beautiful in light of the exacting scientific thought behind it. But not all writers are Shakespeare. Not all painters are Seraut. We don't say that ImaginaryPogue's writings lack creativity - it's not his fault, it's that dasterdly iambic pentameter he's writing in. So why do we say that here?[/QUOTE

+1 - When you see this OD at both the Olympics 2010 and then at Worlds - it is no doubt impressive - the whole package. And you can add me to the group of fans that does not miss the DIVA persona...you want DIVAs - then tune into reality TV...

Agreed, Pogue. Also, a diva doesn't have to be over-the-top. Tessa and Meryl are very bit as much a diva as Pasha and Anjelika. They are just more subtle about their diva-ness.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Bump de Bump de Bump...;)

Here's an article about Paul and Islam courtesy of icedance.com

http://ice-dance.com/news/general-articles-announcements/1364-a-summer-of-change-for-paul-islam

This sounds very hopeful to me..go, kids.. ( doris, now I really hope you get to go to LP )

I'm not sure what other Canadian teams are going, but some W&L couples have done it in the past , I think ?

I'm very curious about P/I's FD , since they mention it's "jazzy" . The score contains a great rendition of Jelly Roll Morton's "The Crave" and I can't see how a sophisticated choreographer ( such as Pasquale ) could resist using it ( makes me drool over what could be. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5AIp2Yc01M

wait a minute while I dig out my egret feather hair ornament...:biggrin:

And of course, there are these..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV23NagLoj4&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rndPz8GJpk&feature=relmfu

Last edited:

blue dog

Record Breaker
I do hope they make it to worlds this year. In my opinion, they're far stronger than many of the teams battling for the #3 spot in Canada.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I'm willing to wait and see how Gilles and Poirier do on the international scene, but would have liked to see Crone and Sorensen as well, if only because I thought they were intitled to have an opportunity.

Crone and Poirier seemed to be burdened with overblown expectations to the extent of making their international results seem unacceptable. Perhaps that disappointment led to their break-up, at least that's how it appeared to this outside observer.

Now, magically, those expectations seem to be transferred to Gilles and Poirier. I think this is unfortunate and liable to be detrimental to their career.

C&P had very good international results, though. They didn't just do well at Canadian nationals, they won multiple medals on the Grand Prix, went to the Olympics and won a medal at the Grand Prix Final. The only disappointing result they had was at Worlds 2011. It's unfortunate, because up until then they were really climbing the ranks and were regularly beating W&P. It's unfortunate that they split all of a sudden

Now Paul has to work back up the ranks with a new partner. It's going to take a couple of years for Piper to come up to his level, but she is working hard and they have great potential.

slipslidin

On the Ice
C&P had very good international results, though. They didn't just do well at Canadian nationals, they won multiple medals on the Grand Prix, went to the Olympics and won a medal at the Grand Prix Final. The only disappointing result they had was at Worlds 2011. It's unfortunate, because up until then they were really climbing the ranks and were regularly beating W&P. It's unfortunate that they split all of a sudden

Now Paul has to work back up the ranks with a new partner. It's going to take a couple of years for Piper to come up to his level, but she is working hard and they have great potential.

Crone and Poirier did have good international results, but my point was that they seemed to be disappointed with those results, and I thought inflated expectations might have been a contributing factor. They did beat Weaver and Poje at Nationals on two controversial occasions, but that is history.

Now, Giles and Poirier, like Chock and Bates in the US are starting from square one on the international scene. My money would be on Chock and Bates, however. They are both superior skaters.

Last edited:

slipslidin

On the Ice
And now, back to the future. That was a nice article on Paul and Islam, and I was happy to see they will be skating to the jazzy bits, for their free dance. It will be good to see them moving their feet and showing another side of their personalities. No word on the music for their short dance? Many of us have had high expectations for this team. Let's hope they get lots of competition and hard work before Canadians, and are able to show us what they can do, at last.

Has there been any word of R&H, or O&W? It sort of tickles me that P&I is the only one of these teams that has it's own thread on FSU. They seem to have faithful fans, based on their percieved potential.

I'm guessing that Ralph and Hill will be doing Thornhill again. Is anybody else doing Lake Placid? How about Salt Lake City? I'm dying here!

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Yes , where are the spies ? I'd like to know what some of our top Juniors have planned, too. C'mon in from the cold... the welcome mat is out.;)

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Now, Giles and Poirier, like Chock and Bates in the US are starting from square one on the international scene. My money would be on Chock and Bates, however. They are both superior skaters.

I was very disappointed in Chock & Bates. At one time I thought that Chock & Zuerlein would be huge stars. It didn't happen. Sadly, Evan Bates has managed to make Madison Chock boring. I liked both skaters better with their previous partners.

slipslidin

On the Ice
Yes, Dragonlady, I agree 1000%. But even though Evan Bates broke my heart,( I had Samuelson and Bates picked for future world champions) I must admit he's a fabuluous skater.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I think that Paul Poirier is one of the best young male partners in the World and he hates to lose. Champions hate to lose. It's something I've seen time and time again.

I was gob smacked when Paul & Vanessa split and was dis-inclined to think kindly of the new pairing but I find that Piper brings an energy and vitality to the partnership so that I liked them in spite of myself. I think they have a great deal of potential and I'm looking forward to seeing them compete this season.

blue dog

Record Breaker
I think that Paul Poirier is one of the best young male partners in the World and he hates to lose. Champions hate to lose. It's something I've seen time and time again.

I was gob smacked when Paul & Vanessa split and was dis-inclined to think kindly of the new pairing but I find that Piper brings an energy and vitality to the partnership so that I liked them in spite of myself. I think they have a great deal of potential and I'm looking forward to seeing them compete this season.

The difference between Piper and Vanessa is similar to the difference, if you will, of two famous singles skaters-- Kwan and Slutskaya. Vanessa was more like Kwan--her personality and style was more reserved. Piper is more like Slutskaya--more showbiz, more bubbly. Both are great, but total opposites. Paul should consider himself lucky, having found two good partners in one lifetime.

emdee

Final Flight
I like the pairing of Paul and Piper. However, her quality is nowhere near Vanessa's.

slipslidin

On the Ice
Leaving comparisons of Kwan and Slutskaya aside, I would like to say that there are presently many very fine skaters among male ice dancers. This has not always been the case. For many years, good partnering skills were sufficient. Even so, there are not enough men to go around, sadly.

My feeling is, that with current judging standards, A couple will not rise above the level of the weaker partner.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Leaving comparisons of Kwan and Slutskaya aside, I would like to say that there are presently many very fine skaters among male ice dancers. This has not always been the case. For many years, good partnering skills were sufficient. Even so, there are not enough men to go around, sadly.

My feeling is, that with current judging standards, A couple will not rise above the level of the weaker partner.

I agree. The days of one partner dragging another around the ice or one partner doing all of the fancy stuff and the other stroking along behind, are over. Vanessa is a better technical skater than Piper at this point, but I have seen how committed she is to bringing the level of her skating up to his. They have even said that it was good for them to sit out the season so they could work on these issues. I look forward to seeing their progress, hopefully at Thornhill this summer.

emdee

Final Flight
I too am hoping to go to Thornhill.

Piper has plenty of personality and I think she will bring out the best of Paul. They are so young and will likely only find success in the next quaddrenial after Sochi so time is on their side.

slipslidin

On the Ice
I wish I could go to Thornhill. Please try to get pictures, if you go.

Paul and Islam are planning to be there, and I'm anticipating something wonderful from Camerlengo, it sounds to me like a new direction for that couple. They have chemistry and are an ideal match physically. And I must add, they have the most sophisticated music choices every year.

I haven't heard whether Ralph and Hill will be there. They had a gem of a free dance last year, and hopefully they have struck the same vein of choreographic genious this year. I'm anxious to know.

No word, so far, of our "secret weapon" Orford and Williams, maybe they need some PR.

Last edited: