Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Ice Dance: Canadian

Custom Title
    I don't imagine Weaver and Poje will have any trouble with the Yankee Polka. Let's not forget that it isn't their first year together and they'll be performing a short dance, not an OSP or CD.

This year, I thought they had the best two programs and great costumes, and I feel they gained in international reputation. I expect higher marks for them next year.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I'm certainly expecting W&P to stay ahead of G&P--and I wonder how that will be going down in Scarborough.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I'm certainly expecting W&P to stay ahead of G&P--and I wonder how that will be going down in Scarborough.
    It will be interesting to see what GP events Skate Canada lobby for W/P and G/P and whether there is a head to head competition prior to Nationals. It will also be interesting to see whether G/P get a slot at Skate Canada. I am also sure that if Paul/Islam are healthy - there will be some noise from that camp as well. Unfortunately, I don't see a push for Ralph/Hill due to their coaching situation. I would prefer to have Ralph/Hill be coached by Wing/Lowe...my two cents...
    Last edited by heyhey; 04-08-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: grammar

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by slipslidin View Post
    I don't imagine Weaver and Poje will have any trouble with the Yankee Polka. Let's not forget that it isn't their first year together and they'll be performing a short dance, not an OSP or CD.

This year, I thought they had the best two programs and great costumes, and I feel they gained in international reputation. I expect higher marks for them next year.
    Why does everyone in this forum talk about international reputation? It really has no meaning. I expect W&P will get good marks next season because of the trememdous improvements they made this season in their technical ability.

No wonder people think this sport is fixed, when ardent ice-dance fans keep talking about "internationala reputation" as something that matters in the placements. If you don't' understand what's being judged, OK, that can be explained but please stop with this ridiculous notion that the skaters are getting their marks and placements based on their reputation. It's not happening, and hasn't been happening since CoP was introduced.

Custom Title
    Yes, Ralph and Hill are at a political disadvantage, but would Wing and Lowe be the answer? Wing and Lowe coach Orford and Williams, a worthy team that lost out big-time in the shennanigans at this year's Nationals, so I'm not sure they have the political clout necessary to help R/H.

By the way, I wish somebody would tell me whether O/W will be on the National Team this year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Why does everyone in this forum talk about international reputation? It really has no meaning. I expect W&P will get good marks next season because of the trememdous improvements they made this season in their technical ability.

No wonder people think this sport is fixed, when ardent ice-dance fans keep talking about "internationala reputation" as something that matters in the placements. If you don't' understand what's being judged, OK, that can be explained but please stop with this ridiculous notion that the skaters are getting their marks and placements based on their reputation. It's not happening, and hasn't been happening since CoP was introduced.
    Some of us think there's an elephant in the room.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by slipslidin View Post
    Some of us think there's an elephant in the room.
    I think it shows ignorance of the scoring, and is disrespectful of the talents and the abilities of the skaters. And you wonder why no one thinks this is a real sport.

To me, what's worse than that is the assumption that a skater's advancement in the sport is due to the political pull of that skater's coaches.

Worst of all would be if it is true.

Custom Title
    Well, that's one perspective.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    R&H had a great FD this year--I hope that some kind federation will invite them to their GP event this coming year!

Which is another question.

I'm assumiong V&M will of course want to do Skate Canada on the GP. What other 2 teams with Skate Canada the organization pick for the host spots?

And have Orford & Williams aged out of Juniors? (presuming that the ISU doesn't change the eligible ages again)?
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 04-08-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Custom Title
    I believe Nicole will be 20 in October and Thomas turns 21 this month.

Custom Title
    Crone & Poirier were also what Carol Lane calls "a home-grown team". She put these skaters together as children and developed them to elite international teams.

At Thornhill, we marvel at all of the Scarborough teams. They are all so well trained, with strong skating skills, good choreography, and beautiful packaging. They stand out even from the Mariposa teams, especially in the packaging. I have not been similarly impressed with dance teams from any other Canadian based skating school, including the BC teams. I was absolutely shocked that anyone thought that Orford Williams should have been ahead of Gilles & Poirier. O&W scored 10 points higher at Canadians than they did at Jr. Worlds so the judging for that team wasn't that out of whack at Canadians.

I think Crone & Poirier are one of the BEST arguments against "reputation judging". They entered their first GP event in Ottawa with a coach with no international reputation, having just come up from juniors and picked up the silver medal ahead of P&B, who really skating badly at that event. They were 4th in the CD, which is understandable since they were just up from juniors and not as strong in the CD's as the older, more experienced teams, and then skated lights out the rest of the event and won silver, ahead of B&S, P&B and other teams with more reputation and more experience. How did they manage to place 7th at 2010 Worlds if reputation is so important?

If reputation matters, why are the Shibutani's placed lower when they skate badly? If reputation matters, why did it take so long for P&B to win a medal? If reputation and politiks matter, why haven't the Russians managed to place a dance team on the podium since Dom/Shabs?
    Last edited by Dragonlady; 04-08-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    R&H had a great FD this year--I hope that some kind federation will invite them to their GP event this coming year!
    R&H will be in the top 24 WR so are entitled to 1 GP (16th now about 22nd after June)
    They are ranked 25 in Season's best, so will be top of the list for a 2nd GP, should there be any withdrawals.
    I would expect them to get 2 GP's in their own right, going by the number of withdrawals for injury last season!!

Custom Title
    Crone & Poirier were also what Carol Lane calls "a home-grown team". She put these skaters together as children and developed them to elite international teams.

At Thornhill, we marvel at all of the Scarborough teams. They are all so well trained, with strong skating skills, good choreography, and beautiful packaging. They stand out even from the Mariposa teams, especially in the packaging. I have not been similarly impressed with dance teams from any other Canadian based skating school, including the BC teams. I was absolutely shocked that anyone thought that Orford Williams should have been ahead of Gilles & Poirier. O&W scored 10 points higher at Canadians than they did at Jr. Worlds so the judging for that team wasn't that out of whack at Canadians.

I think Crone & Poirier are one of the BEST arguments against "reputation judging". They entered their first GP event in Ottawa with a coach with no international reputation, having just come up from juniors and picked up the silver medal ahead of P&B, who really skating badly at that event. They were 4th in the CD, which is understandable since they were just up from juniors and not as strong in the CD's as the older, more experienced teams, and then skated lights out the rest of the event and won silver, ahead of B&S, P&B and other teams with more reputation and more experience. How did they manage to place 7th at 2010 Worlds if reputation is so important?

If reputation matters, why are the Shibutani's placed lower when they skate badly? If reputation matters, why did it take so long for P&B to win a medal? If reputation and politiks matter, why haven't the Russians managed to place a dance team on the podium since Dom/Shabs?
    Crone and Poirier are history, a promising team that did not persist. And in my opinion never lived up to their billing.

Banned
    I agree its clear they quit after worlds last year i think Paul knew Vanessa had too many limitations as a skater to continue with her, Piper is much better technically right of the bat the twizzles are so much better and fast.

Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 ... LastLast