Page 51 of 62 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Ice Dance: Canadian

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    slipsidin, I totally agree with your caveat.

I interpreted Virtue's words to mean that V/M have managed to incorporate the required polka pattern within the waltzing for which the Hopkins music was intended.

If I had not subsequently read comments from others on GS, the alternative meaning that they incorporated polka music into the Hopkins composition would never have even entered my mind.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I sincerely doubt that even hating polka as much as they do that V&M would want to miss all the key points for timing (8 potential points off the base score and then incur an additional -2 for wrong tempo of the piece as it would 3/4 time rather than 2/4 time)

Even V&M would not want to spot the field 10 points.

Doris, I would love to go back and take a closer look at your detailed discussion of timing deductions.
    I do recall seeing that you recently wrote at length and with care about teams failing to get maximum points because of timing and music errors.
    But do you remember where? Sorry that I don't remember.
    I looked back a little bit in this thread, but couldn't find your analysis. Was it in a different thread?
    Thanks as always for your help!

ETA:

And looking back at PJ Kwong's tweets, I think that she and I both have a lot to learn from Doris.

Barb Chapman ‏@BarbChapman1
    @skatingpj just one piece of music for SD or another piece for YP forT/S?
    3:04 PM - 6 Sep 12

Pj Kwong ‏@skatingpj
    @BarbChapman1 I am not sure I understand your question? #cbcskates
    4:14 PM - 6 Sep 12

That seemed to be their entire "conversation" regarding this question. I don't see any additional tweets from Kwong re music for the polka.
    Last edited by golden411; 09-08-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Text version of some (but not all) of the Virtue/Moir Q & A with the media at HP Camp:
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/figure...ing-champions?

[Published today, but content is from Sep 6. Includes a little chunk at the top from Moir that is not in Kwong's video version, I believe.]

ETA:
    BTW, had never seen this signage immortalizing Ilderton's well-known pride in V/M before:
    http://twitter.com/RyanatLFPress/sta...35498430427136
    Last edited by golden411; 09-08-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Video: Brief comments from Virtue/Moir about Carmen to Kwong

Cross-posting from the Ice Dance and Carmen thread (and Photos of V/M thread):

Pj Kwong ‏@skatingpj
    I uploaded a @YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipzpb...ure=youtu.be&a Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir talk Carmen at HPC
    5:54 AM - 10 Sep 12

The video is only 1:18 in length.
    V/M talk about their contemporary/modern version of Carmen, with their story line relying more on body movements than on facial expressions.

(Mods, hope that my triple-posting is acceptable in light of high interest in this program.)

Paul & Islam SD Salt Lake Senior B
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPkw1...ature=youtu.be

Paul & Islam FD Salt Lake Senior B
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6d0F-06y3M

These just surfaced. There are no vids of Gilles & Poirier as yet.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Paul & Islam SD Salt Lake Senior B
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPkw1...ature=youtu.be

Paul & Islam FD Salt Lake Senior B
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6d0F-06y3M

These just surfaced. There are no vids of Gilles & Poirier as yet.
    I found them!:

G/P SD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_OYUTAOSJ0&feature=plcp

G/P FD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PecjVS9nI9s&feature=plcp

Thank you, herios!

Custom Title
    Just to let everyone know, Nebelhorn Trophy just finished. Paul/Islam wound up 5th (5th in the SD, 4th in the FD), which I think was a good result for them in a tougher field than Salt Lake City. Ralph/Hill ended up 7th, abut 7 points behing P/I overall. Congrats to both teams!

Ice-dance.com had a gallery from the event:
    http://photography.ice-dance.com/2012-13/12Neb/

On an unrelated note, a huge congratulations to Kaetlyn Osmond, who won GOLD in the ladies event with an impressive array of triples (including a clean triple triple) and a FS score somewhere in the neighbourhood of 114 point!

More good news for Canadian dance fans: both R&H and P&I got the minimum TES for Worlds and 4CC's in the FD.

SD no, requirement is TES=29.
    5 Alexandra PAUL / Mitchell ISLAM CAN 54.50 28.00 26.50 6.64 6.39 6.68 6.75 6.64 0.00 #9
    7 Kharis RALPH / Asher HILL CAN 53.79 27.00 26.79 6.71 6.50 6.71 6.64 6.86 0.00 #15
    For both, that is enough for 4CC's, though ( > 18)

Paul & Islam already had what they needed in the SD from the Salt Lake Senior B

FD requirement is TES=39
    4 Alexandra PAUL / Mitchell ISLAM CAN 83.42 41.62 41.80 6.96 6.71 7.11 7.18 7.07 0.00 #13
    7 Kharis RALPH / Asher HILL CAN 76.63 40.02 38.61 6.50 6.25 6.46 6.54 6.54 2.00 #10
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 09-29-2012 at 11:32 AM.

On the Ice
    Not bad results for the Canadian teams - I hope it's not too much longer a wait for video of all four programs (and the evening's gala, in P/I's case). Seems as though P/I had a few more technical issues than at SLC, but R/H's results don't surprise me too much since this was really their first outing of the year, and they'll likely be sharper in a few weeks at Skate Canada. I'm also very eager to finally see the latter's free dance!

And congratulations to Kaetlyn! What a fabulous senior international debut!

Custom Title
    And the good news keeps on coming :D Andreanne Poulin & Marc-Andre Servant (last years jr. champs) won a bronze at their JGP this year, their second of the season, and did so by seriously improving on their previous season's best. This puts them in the running to make the final, along with Edwards & Pang (who have two bronzes) and quite possibly Bent & MacKeen as well (who have one bronze, and are competing again next week). Dalmer and Firus were 6th.

Custom Title
    VERY unlikely for Poulin/Servant to make the final. Only BENT / MACKEEN have a decent shot, and they would have to win at least silver in Croatia.

Here's why:

Already in the final
    ALDRIDGE / EATON and PAPADAKIS / CIZERON with 30 points
    likely in the final
    YANOVSKAYA / MOZGOV with 26 points

In Croatia:
    KOSIGINA / MOROSHKIN with 13 points are likely to win (total 28 points)
    silver is up for grabs between BENT / MacKEEN and ZENKOVA / SINITSYN

If B/McK win silver, they'd have 24 points; if Z/S win silver, they'd have 26 points.

In GERMANY, STEPANOVA / BUKIN are pretty much guaranteed the gold medal, for 30 points. It won't matter who else medals in Germany, because only Morozova/Zhirnov have enough points (9) to matter and they'd still have only 22 points with a silver.

SO---you'd have

Aldridge/Eaton 30
    Stepanova/Bukin 30
    Papadakis/Cizeron 30
    Kosigina/Moroshkin 28
    Yanovskaya/Mosgov 26

leaving one spot open.

If Bent/MacKeen win silver in Croatia, they'd be in with 24 points, else Zenkova/Sinitsin with 26 points.

Both Edwards/Pang and Poulin/Servant with 22 points (2 bronze each) are behind Koch/Nuchtern who have silver and 4th.

It's worth remembering that by listing all JGP competitors as substitutes at almost every event that the federations have left themselves a big opening to move teams around. The Chemnitz field is so weak (and the Zagreb field so comparatively strong), it would not surprise me to see changes

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    It's worth remembering that by listing all JGP competitors as substitutes at almost every event that the federations have left themselves a big opening to move teams around. The Chemnitz field is so weak (and the Zagreb field so comparatively strong), it would not surprise me to see changes
    My apologies. I made that comment under the impression that there were 8 spots to the JGP final, not 6. Did there ever used to be 8? Because I could have sworn there were at one point.

Page 51 of 62 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast