Page 54 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 LastLast

Thread: All Things Ice Dance: Canadian

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Northern Dancers, I think R&H should be looking for a change of direction for sure. They might consider Shpilband since he hasn't got a top Canadian team at this time, AFAIR.

Custom Title
    R/H: I thought the first 30 seconds worked like gangbusters, but the rest was pretty deplorable.

P/I: Anyone else getting slightly bored by their lifts? They don't do much in the way of new ones and the ones they do are very much in the level four warehouse of generic ice dance lifts. It's rather disappointing - their beauty and expressive capabilities are gorgeous (especially from her - she sold the "Tonight" program very effectively). Makes me angry all over again at how the GP entries were chosen (and, additionally, at the ISU for removing a dozen places).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Northern Dancers, I think R&H should be looking for a change of direction for sure. They might consider Shpilband since he hasn't got a top Canadian team at this time, AFAIR.
    Shpilband is interesting from a technical perspective....but I think they need to find another choreographer. To be honest, I wasn't that thrilled with Chock/Bates program. If they want to stay in the GTA, perhaps KW is a good place for technical help and training space, or Montreal with D/L which could also include choreography. David Wilson has done a beautiful job with ice dance programs. I'm not sure he has choreographed any this season. He's an idea. He's in Toronto at the Cricket, I believe.

Custom Title
    Just watched R/H's FD...all I can say is can Tracey Wilson have an intervention for this team with Skate Canada...from the music cuts, to all the movements being rushed, the lifts being mini knock-off's of V/M's lifts...etc...Ms. Carol Lane I am looking at you. Personally I would love to see them go to Dubreuil/Lauzon just to see Marie-France bring out Kharis' personality on the ice...this team has potential but this FD is not the right vehicle...I know it's early in the season and a program will evolve over a season...but with those music cuts - I don't think that even Kurt Browning would be able to salvage it....

ETA: Watched the FD for a second time and I think my main problem with this FD is that you don't see Kharis and Asher skating really - like IP mentioned the first 30 seconds is original then afterwards you feel like the choreography is jammed from parts D/W, V/M and W/P and ughh - I don't know..technically not bad but it's not working for me...off to bed...
    Last edited by heyhey; 10-03-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Custom Title
    I know I'm flogging a dead horse, but, in my opinion, there are three Canadian teams who finished very close at nationals and another that should have been in a similar range. I thought, at that time, that if one of those teams wants to succeed, they should leave Canada. One of them has done so. It may not be too late for the others. Why is it that our dance teams need to escape to find success? Are they being stifled? Is it too small a pond? I honestly don't think that Tracy Wilson, or David Wilson can save them.

But on a brighter note, this is the first year I can recall that R/H can take the ice in both SD and FD, and nobody can say, "Ye Gods! What are they wearing?"
    Last edited by slipslidin; 10-04-2012 at 01:15 AM.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I thought ( and guess I still do ) , that R/H's SD looked fun and promising at Thornhill , but the fact that I don't see a lot of improvement here makes me nervous..will they get it cleaned up ? Can-can may be wildly exuberant , but it shouldn't really be wild . High kicks need straight knees and pointed toes , and splits ( like a lot of things ) should not be attempted unless you can actually do them. ( On a side note, this goes for G/P's upright split lift, too . Piper's wrenched supporting knee doesn't create an attractive line ).

So..a cute SD, but it'll need a lot of work to achieve the crispness and polish it demands , and I begin to have doubts ...I know they've started out rough in past seasons.. but from what I've seen, both P/I and O/W look far more ready at this stage, and it won't do to get behind in the 3-5 race.

I can only echo what has been said already about R/H's FD ..bit of a hot mess.This is not a worthy follow-up to their tango.( Don't wait your turn , kids.)

P/I also need to work their polka , but I have to say, I feel much more confident that they'll get the guidance they need...TBH, I think polka works best done to a real polka , but I don't think theirs is all that unworkable, with yet more drilling.

I'm not too worried about their lifts right now , they've got a lot to do to put last year behind them, and I think we'll see the lifts evolve as the rest becomes more second nature.

O/W won't hit those international judges 'til late in the GP , so I guess all they can do in the meantime is polish, polish, polish.

G/P as I said ( I guess on the competition thread) , you can see an improvement over last year, and I must say it was a relief to see that there was not a great difference in their marks and P/I's at SLC.

But like R/H's choreo ,I felt G/P's FD was a collection of tricks and highlights ( as many as time will allow ) squeezed in without much regard to music , and devoid of meaning. There were some very nice positions hit here and there , but to me, that doesn't constitute a program..earns a big ho-hum from me.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Glad that V/M sound confident that Moir will be able to compete at Skate Canada. Hope that he is feeling better soon.

Meanwhile, in answer to a query today, Kwong had very positive comments about their new programs.

Craig Drebit ‏@CraigDrebit
    @skatingpj Good to know! Have you seen V/M's new programs?
    8:38 AM - 4 Oct 12

Pj Kwong ‏@skatingpj
    @CraigDrebit I saw their SD - DIVINE! Have heard FD is glorious too! #cbcskates
    8:40 AM - 4 Oct 12

And the tiniest of silver linings to V/M's withdrawal from Finlandia:
    SC FB announcement has a nice photo (maybe new from 2012 HP Camp?) of them in their grey SC jackets.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5677038&type=1

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    I thought ( and guess I still do ) , that R/H's SD looked fun and promising at Thornhill , but the fact that I don't see a lot of improvement here makes me nervous..will they get it cleaned up ? Can-can may be wildly exuberant , but it shouldn't really be wild . High kicks need straight knees and pointed toes , and splits ( like a lot of things ) should not be attempted unless you can actually do them. ( On a side note, this goes for G/P's upright split lift, too . Piper's wrenched supporting knee doesn't create an attractive line ).

So..a cute SD, but it'll need a lot of work to achieve the crispness and polish it demands , and I begin to have doubts ...I know they've started out rough in past seasons.. but from what I've seen, both P/I and O/W look far more ready at this stage, and it won't do to get behind in the 3-5 race.

I can only echo what has been said already about R/H's FD ..bit of a hot mess.This is not a worthy follow-up to their tango.( Don't wait your turn , kids.)

P/I also need to work their polka , but I have to say, I feel much more confident that they'll get the guidance they need...TBH, I think polka works best done to a real polka , but I don't think theirs is all that unworkable, with yet more drilling.

I'm not too worried about their lifts right now , they've got a lot to do to put last year behind them, and I think we'll see the lifts evolve as the rest becomes more second nature.

O/W won't hit those international judges 'til late in the GP , so I guess all they can do in the meantime is polish, polish, polish.

G/P as I said ( I guess on the competition thread) , you can see an improvement over last year, and I must say it was a relief to see that there was not a great difference in their marks and P/I's at SLC.

But like R/H's choreo ,I felt G/P's FD was a collection of tricks and highlights ( as many as time will allow ) squeezed in without much regard to music , and devoid of meaning. There were some very nice positions hit here and there , but to me, that doesn't constitute a program..earns a big ho-hum from me.

ITA. With all of it.

Also breathing a sigh of relief for V/M right now. Glad to hear the injury isn't too serious. With Skate Canada only a few weeks away, I think it was very wise of them not to risk making it worse. Thank heavens, because when I read about their withdrawl this morning I nearly fell off of my chair. The worst case scenario popped into my head. Wishing Scott a speedy recovery.

Still, should be a good weekend. I'm super, super excited to see W/P's material. The SD goes tomorrow at Onredj Nepala, and the FD on Saturday. I must say, I'm looking forward to both programs. The SD sounds lovely (I'm a sucker for the Sound of Music), and I'm intrigued by the FD. It's a risk, to be sure, but given how well they handelled Je Suis Malade (which was itself much more like a "contemporary" program than most), as well as the way that they skated some of the more "modern" dance-like components of this season's Stars on Ice (like the boy's group routine with the spotlights, which looked very much like a contemporary piece choreographed on the floor, and which Andrew was superb in), I think it's one that might really pay off for them. I believe there is a live stream to the competiton, and I'll post a link if I can get my hands on one.

There's a link in the Ondrej Nepala thread , and it works beautifully..(saw a bit of the men today ). The SD comes at 4am tomorrow for me ( PDT) .. and I will be there.. .. W/P will be the 6th couple to skate.

Custom Title
    I've had high hopes for several dance teams, this year, and so far I've been a teeny bit underwhelmed by the reality. Weaver and Poje, it's up to you now. Hope you bring it!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    There's a link in the Ondrej Nepala thread , and it works beautifully..(saw a bit of the men today ). The SD comes at 4am tomorrow for me ( PDT) .. and I will be there.. .. W/P will be the 6th couple to skate.
    That would be 7am eastern, correct? I'm out in Ontario, and I absolutely refuse to miss it!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by slipslidin View Post
    I know I'm flogging a dead horse, but, in my opinion, there are three Canadian teams who finished very close at nationals and another that should have been in a similar range. I thought, at that time, that if one of those teams wants to succeed, they should leave Canada. One of them has done so. It may not be too late for the others. Why is it that our dance teams need to escape to find success? Are they being stifled? Is it too small a pond? I honestly don't think that Tracy Wilson, or David Wilson can save them.
    With the success of Zoueva/Shpilband's students over the last few years, and now the emergence of Krylova/Camerlengo as another hot coaching team, it's no wonder teams are drawn to Detroit - it's the mecca at the moment for ice dance (in a few years who knows - these things ebb and flow). But right now the top four teams at last year's Worlds are there, and it helps to train alongside the best. Could be very good for P/I.

Nonetheless, Carol Lane has had significant success with C/P and seemingly now with G/P. Maybe the environment is just not the best fit for R/H for some reason.

Custom Title
    YB (yeah but), I wasn't just talking about Detroit, The Duchesnays actually left to skate for France, thereby making a career for themselves, D/L left to train with Zazoui or might have been left by the wayside. Wing and Lowe did finish their amateur career under the guidance of Marina Zoueva, as did McCurdy and Correno. And of course, Bourne and Kraatz ran the gamut of Russian coaches, in their quest for success. My hat is off to the teams who have the confidence and ambition to step up to the big leagues.

I can't help noting that both Carol Lane teams you mention include Paul Poirier. My contention is that the ranks of world-class teams are full of excellent male skaters and it remains to be seen if Paul is so fabulous that he'll rise to the top with whatever partner.
    Last edited by slipslidin; 10-04-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slipslidin View Post
    YB (yeah but), I wasn't just talking about Detroit, The Duchesnays actually left to skate for France, thereby making a career for themselves,
    Kharis is Filipina. We'd love to have her and Asher

sf04..yep ! 7:15 am for you , 4:15 am for me. My coffee will be extra strong ...

Page 54 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 LastLast