Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 LastLast

Thread: All Things Ice Dance: Canadian

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    sf04..yep ! 7:15 am for you , 4:15 am for me. My coffee will be extra strong ...
    See you in the morning in the virtual world of Goldenskate then, Colleen,
    I am crossing my fingers for W/P to rock it from day one.
    Thanks for the heads-up!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    See you in the morning in the virtual world of Goldenskate then, Colleen,
    I am crossing my fingers for W/P to rock it from day one.
    Thanks for the heads-up!
    I'll be here as well. I'm literally counting the hours! Colleen, if I were you, I'd go for a triple espresso. They've gotten me through more all night study sessions than I'd care to admit, and quite a few figure skating competitions being live streamed at unholy hours as well. I have no doubt this will be worth it, though.

Custom Title
    ^^^
    Well, it is a good question. Maybe we could look at how many dance coaches over the years working in Canada (regardless of where they were born) had personal experience with, or exposure to, the very top levels of competition. One of Wilson/McCall's coaches (alongside Marijane Stong) was Bernard Ford, former multiple World champion who moved to Canada from the UK. Marina Zoueva first came to Ottawa and coached there, but really began building top teams when she worked with Shpilband...did they complement each other in some necessary way that allowed them both to achieve great success? They had extensive Russian training from Tchaikovskaya (Zoueva) and Pakhomova (Shpilband), Zoueva was 5th at senior Worlds, and Shpilband won junior Worlds. Zoueva's experience with G/G is relevant too, having been alongside them when they won an Oly gold. Carol Lane is a UK bronze medalist, her husband Jon was a World medalist and won bronze in the Olympics demo event for ice dance at Grenoble, her other co-coach Juris Rasgulajevs won gold at junior worlds.

We have many excellent developmental coaches in Canada (eg. Paul Macintosh, David Islam, etc.) but perhaps previous experience at a high international level is a key factor in taking teams to the very top in ice dance. Tracy Wilson, who has that experience, unfortunately is not coaching ice dance teams. Lane/Lane/Rasgulajevs have that experience, and are making good inroads on the world scene. It will be interesting to see what Dubreuil/Lauzon do as coaches, also Wing/Lowe who trained with Zoueva/Shpilband late in their career and were Olympic competitors.

Thoughts?

ETA: Beyond having had high-level international experience, extremely successful ice dance coaches have likely received their own training from former top coaches.
    Last edited by callalily; 10-05-2012 at 05:58 AM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf4AR...eature=g-all-u
    Scott Moir working out - from PJ Kwong

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    ^ Thanks, Macassar88.
    ETA: The Moir video is from summer 2012, per Kwong's caption.

And now this too:

Pj Kwong ‏@skatingpj
    I uploaded a @YouTube video http://youtu.be/HlLQ6kLZOus?a Maria Mountain of Revolution Sport Conditioning
    10:07 AM - 5 Oct 12
    http://twitter.com/skatingpj/status/254266589963239425
    ETA: The video is 5:54 in length.

I haven't had a chance to watch the vids yet, but Revolution is where Virtue/Moir go to work out in London, I believe?
    Last edited by golden411; 10-05-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    ^ Thanks, Macassar88.
    ETA: The Moir video is from summer 2012, per Kwong's caption.

And now this too:

Pj Kwong ‏@skatingpj
    I uploaded a @YouTube video http://youtu.be/HlLQ6kLZOus?a Maria Mountain of Revolution Sport Conditioning
    10:07 AM - 5 Oct 12
    http://twitter.com/skatingpj/status/254266589963239425
    ETA: The video is 5:54 in length.

I haven't had a chance to watch the vids yet, but Revolution is where Virtue/Moir go to work out in London, I believe?
    Yeah that's where they work out - twice a week

And here is Kwong's CBC blog today about V/M:
    Good news, bad news for Virtue and Moir
    By PJ Kwong
    Posted: Friday, October 5, 2012 | 03:49 PM
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...-and-moir.html

In light of Moir's injury, Kwong shares some of her summer reporting on their off-ice training regimen.

As an aside, I was quite interested and surprised to read that Virtue said, "We are restricted to being in the United States for 180 days per year."
    That limit -- not even half a year -- is lower than I ever would have guessed.
    I supposed that their travel to competitions and shows + summer vacation + weekends + other short trips to Canada for Skate Canada and/or promotional appearances add up to account for many of their non-US days.
    But they have an extra consideration for their training schedule that Davis/White and the Shibutanis do not have (although presumably Pechalat/Bourzat, Weaver/Poje, C/L, etc., do).
    Last edited by golden411; 10-05-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Other Canadian friends of mine have to limit their time in the States due to issues with their Ontario health plan? Could that be what this is about?

^ Oh, thanks, Doris. If that is the case, then it would be an issue only for Canadians (and I would be wrong about P/B and C/L).

Out of ignorance, I had jumped to the conclusion that it was a US regulation for non-US citizens without green cards.

Sorry for causing any confusion.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Paul & Islam EX from Nebelhorn
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGlL1hKBT6M&feature=plcp

I would think Tessa & Scott would have green cards by now...it isn't like there's any reason one would be denied them. So I'm guessing it's not wanting to cope with the wacko US medical system. And pay money for something they can buy more reasonably in Canada.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Paul & Islam EX from Nebelhorn
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGlL1hKBT6M&feature=plcp

I would think Tessa & Scott would have green cards by now...it isn't like there's any reason one would be denied them. So I'm guessing it's not wanting to cope with the wacko US medical system. And pay money for something they can buy more reasonably in Canada.
    Hi Doris - getting a green card is not as easy especially when you don't have a US employer....but I do agree that the medical insurance coverage in the US is definitely an issue for them since figure skating is such an expensive sport...my two cents...

Custom Title
    Thanks for the link, Doris. Alex's costume is from her Ontario days, I guess. I have often remarked, at the risk of being disowned by a family member, that I can't understand why that girl has to be dressed in empire waisted dresses made up in fabrics that are too stiff to drape properly. They are a bit like lamp shades, and not flattering to a very lovely looking girl.

Custom Title
    They dont have to buy medical insurance in Canada though they will have to pay for phsio.

Medalist
    I assume the 180 days has more to do with this:
    http://www.sportvisaamerica.com/
    a. Amateur Athletes Seeking Short Term Training or Tournament Participation:

Amateur athletes who want to attend short term training courses or summer programs can come to the U.S. as visitors. This is also true for amateur athletes who live outside the U.S. and want to come to compete in amateur tournaments or competitions.

If the amateur athlete comes from a country that participates in the visa waiver program (most of Western Europe and Japan), then he or she can come to the U.S. for up to 90 days without a visa to receive short term training in the U.S. or participate in tournaments. If the visa waiver is not available, the athlete must apply for a B-1/B-2 Visitor Visa from the U.S. consulate in his or her country of residence. This visa would allow the athlete to stay in the U.S. up to 180 days.

Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 LastLast