Men's 2003 Grand Prix Final | Golden Skate

Men's 2003 Grand Prix Final

Who should have won the 2003 Grand Prix Men's final?

• Evgeny Plushenko

Votes: 33 44.0%
  • Emmanuel Sandhu

Votes: 40 53.3%
  • Other (Please, PLEASE explain a response to THIS one!! Hee hee)

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

Kasey

Medalist
Okay, since it's such a huge source of "conversation" in the Grand Prix forum, why not vote for it here? Who do YOU think should have won this year's Grand Prix final for the men? Plushenko, Sandhu, or "other" (Other being a euphamism for "all those other dudes who were unable to keep their tushies off the ice!")

Kasey

Spark

Rinkside
I didn't actually see Plushenko's skate because of the interruption, but judging by the reports I read the results seem fair. The rules state that a skater is only allowed two combinations. Perhaps after this season they should alter that rule so that in a situation like this, the first jump of an illegal third combination would be counted as a solo jump. But since the rules have been firmly in place all season, what were the judges supposed to do, give Plushenko credit for the third combo anyway?

Going by what I've seen of both men's programs, Sandhu with a quad and two triple axels should place ahead of Plushy with two quads and no credited triple axel.

mike79

On the Ice
Sandhu deserved it. Sorry about Plushenko, but it's his and Mishin's fault for not knowing the rules.

mpal2

Final Flight
Sandhu won.

Even though Evgeni did an illegal combo and didn't get credit, he still would have won if he bothered to put in the salchow at the end. He got complacent, forgot about the rules, left stuff out and lost fair and square.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
BIG Ditto with Mpal2...

Knowing and adhering to the rules seems like a really basic requirement for any competitor in a sport, much less at the elite level. No tears for Plushy over this one from my eyeballs.

DG

amazonprincess

Rinkside
Regardless of the rules, Emanuel was far more interesting to watch skate at the GPF. I think he deserves his gold.

CassidyL

Rinkside
Same feelings as Doggygirl here.

I can't imagine how anyone would think Plushy should have won since that would have involved some shady judging, and we all know how everyone feels about that.

mpal2 said:
Sandhu won.

Even though Evgeni did an illegal combo and didn't get credit, he still would have won if he bothered to put in the salchow at the end. He got complacent, forgot about the rules, left stuff out and lost fair and square.
I wonder if he got complacent or if he was just too tired to do that Salchow at the end. I didn't get to see Evgeny's performance, thanks to the orange alert -- like Joe said, what are we supposed to do, rush out and buy duck tape? -- but all of the men that I did see looked like they were about to pass out at the end of their programs, because of the altitude. Maybe it got to Engeny, too.

Mathman

mpal2

Final Flight
Either too tired or in too much pain from delaying knee surgery. I wasn't thinking about that when I typed the above statement. I'll let those who actually got to see the program let us know, but I still think he was surprised by the loss. Based on the interviews, I think he expected to still win after making mistakes or leaving jumps out.

falula

Spectator
amazonprincess, I could not agree more!
i was there and watched the whole event and Eman won fair and square. Emanual should have won even if Plushy hadn't added a combo. Eman just has such a amazing quality. and Plushy just sorta stands and poses IMO

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
falula said:
...and Plushy just sorta stands and poses IMO

Although Plushy is not my favorite skater, that is HARDLY an appropriate description of his skating. He's incredibly energetic and hardly maintains any single "pose" for more than a moment! :D

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Evgeni & Mike looked disappointed on the podium, but Sandhu deserved it! They were probably surprised that a substitute won, but he was good-otherwise he wouldn't have been there! I thought good for him! That's a big break for him!

Last edited:

mpal2

Final Flight
RealtorGal said:
Although Plushy is not my favorite skater, that is HARDLY an appropriate description of his skating. He's incredibly energetic and hardly maintains any single "pose" for more than a moment! :D

After trying to take some pictures of him during 2003 Worlds, I would have to agree that he hardly maintains a pose for more than a moment. IMO, he is one of the most difficult skaters if you're trying to get a decent picture. Plus, if you are facing the judges the only view you'll get of him is his backside. All of the skaters are somewhat judge centric, but he really took that to a new level. :laugh:

shine

Record Breaker
Plushenko had one more quad. So what? Even if he didn't do the axel combo Sandhu would still have deserved the gold. The judges totally robbed Emanuel in the TCS marks. No way he should be more than a point lower in almost ever TCS mark than Plushenko.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Under the old 6.0 system, Plushy would have probably won. I think most judges would not have placed Sandhu 1st. However, under CoP, the results where fair and square; considering the event was judged by CoP, I'd have to say Sandhu should have won.

curious

Final Flight
a thread to justify eman's technicality win. Plushenko had the best skate but noone here is going to recognize that because he is not your fave skater,that's okay the guy is going to win his third world title:D

Kasey

Medalist
Curious, I only started this thread because *I* was curious as to what the majority of people who saw the competition thought. It appears that the majority feels that Eman deserved the win, whether it is a "technicality" or not.

Sure, Plush may well win World's for a third time this year. Then again, Eman could win there also....or Klimkin....or Joubert....or some other unexpected person. Joubert's win today at Euro's certainly wasn't on a "technicality"....Plush IS beatable. Maybe it's due to the injury. Maybe he's been unchallenged at the top for too long. Maybe something totally different. But he ain't the same Plush of last year, or two years ago.

Kasey