Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Anyone watch the Gala skate?

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    OK, stiff maybe, but stocky??? That tiny little thing?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It's a matter of proportion rather than weight.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...0-26200144.jpg

She's a bit short in the neck, and a bit wide in the hips for a pairs girl. But she's also very young and that may change as she gets older-except sadly, as I can tell you from personal experience, the neck stays short.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 02-05-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Hmm... The stocky, wide-hipped MBM:
    http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=oLFB18kFJZ/

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

She's a bit short in the neck, and a bit wide in the hips for a pairs girl. But she's also very young and that may change as she gets older-except sadly, as I can tell you from personal experience, the neck stays short.
    tell me about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

Not the best angle. Here is a better one.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_BRUBAKER.jpg

But is it really fair to compare anyone to the incomparable Ms. G.?

Anyway, I like her spunk. This is favorite U.S. Pair at the moment.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Of course not.

re comparing any of the US pairs ladies to Katia Gordeeva.

Yeay for Mathman. Mary Beth is no longer a garden gnome. I dont know what the TV aspect ratio has done to her as I havent watched it yet but she was magnificent in person. Anyone says she is afraid is wrong-oh. They have come far and they are comming on fast. And the Rock looks great with the new hair style. There is one pairs lady that could stand to loose a few pounds but its not Mary Beth. She is what she is and what she is is great.
    And they , I am told, have a great work ethic. I wish them all the best. And I cant wait to follow Karen Chen's progression.

she was stiff and terrified looking in teh Gala broadcast IMO

Whippet Good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    she was stiff and terrified looking in teh Gala broadcast IMO
    Maybe because of the (lack of) lighting?

Custom Title
    I watched this in real time over in the US Nationals section, and was excited because I thought they would show Donlan & Speroff since they won the pewter medal, but alas they showed every other medalist except the pewter medalists in pairs & ice dance, yet NBC made the time to show Ashley Wagner's FS and Davis & White's FD again, go figure... They could've easily used those 8 minutes to show the two medalists that were left out, which I just named. BUT, on the bright side, IN *will* be showing the whole thing soon!

Regards pairs, I agree with the poster that stated Mary Beth Marley is no Ekaterina Gordeeva; the only thing they have in common is similar coloring and they both skate pairs (used to in Katia's case). But I think there is nothing wrong with that because Mary Beth and Rockne have similar builds, which complements each other; in fact it would look weird to see Rockne paired up with someone of Katia's somatype. He'll do, and has done, just fine with Mary Beth. They are more athletic skaters, in the same vein as Denney & Coughlin; it'll be interesting to see theses two fight it out for 1st & 2nd place over the coming years.

Custom Title
    IN now has up the *entire* Skating Spectacular on their site!

I just watched the whole thing, fastforwarding during some parts, but it was great. After watching it on IN, I now realize how much NBC left out. :(

And I'd like to give a shout out to TONIA KWIATKOWSKI & JOHNNY WEIR, they're absolutely wonderful together! Truthfully, on a scale of 1-10, they are a 11, with Sandra Bezic & Scott Hamilton a 1. I now have found my Dick Button (whom I've missed tremendously over the years) in Johnny Weir, and Tonia is like nobody else, just herself. They complement each other perfectly, and I hope they never leave IN. However, I think it would be to the viewer's advantage if they also commentated for NBC as well.

Okay, back to the skating, I enjoyed the little girl that won the Novice Ladies Title ~ her program reminded me a bit of LuLu's "Butterfly Lovers", and her Pearl Spin was fantastic!

Also, the Jr. Ice Dance Champions were a delight ~ they skated to "Proud Mary" and really got into it; and it's so good to finally see an ice dance pair that is the same height, the way it used to be, and hopefully will be again.

But the ones I have been waiting for didn't disappoint ~ Donlan & Speroff ~ close-ups of the both of them (you can really see the resemblance to Katia in Gretchen's face at the very beginning), with Johnny supplying some interesteing info. (he first met Andrew when he was 9 yrs. old & weighed 40 lbs., lol, Andrew that is). The pairs had just skated hours earlier, so I wasn't too surprised they were a little off; they missed grabbing each other's hand right before their throw 3S, and as a result Gretchen doubled her HUGE 3S and stepped out of it, but otherwise it was a FANTASTIC performance to "Time To Say Goodbye" (tied with Anissina & Peizerat as my favorite versions of this timeless classic piece of music).

I also enjoyed the info. Johnny & Tonia supplied during Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier's performance (the 2012 Jr. Pairs Champions btw). I didn't know that they used to skate together years ago, but then broke up and skated with different partners, finally getting back together this past year? and winning the Jr. Pairs Title! (:^) Seems Tonia was right on the money "you don't know what you have till it's gone", "but luckily they found each other again". So true; I see that not only in pairs, but ice dance as well. Jmho.

This one's a keeper. Just so happy that I can log onto IN whenever I want to and watch it again ad infinitum. I honestly enjoy it much much better than the television broadcast. (:^)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3