Anyone watch the Gala skate? | Golden Skate

Anyone watch the Gala skate?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I missed the beginning. Nathan Chen s a spitfire, I wonder if they showed Karen Chen in the beginning.

No, they didn't. They showed Nathan and also Gracie Gold, because they're the Junior Champions. Both amazing. I didn't realize Nathan was so young, and so small. Wow, he's got such talent! And Gracie also. Amazing control and finesse.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
And Scott said he expects gracie to make an "immediate impact" when she hits seniors next year. It would be something if she is the one to beat next year.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Gracie also impressed as being able to talk to an interviewer and juggle at the same time.

I wonder whether she can juggle while skating? ;)

I liked her choice of music; very appropriate for a teen ager in juniors, I thought.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/the-show-lyrics-lenka.html

The Show, by I think, Lenka

part of it is:

Yeah, I'm just a little bit caught in the middle
Life is a maze and love is a riddle
I don't know where to go, can't do it alone
I've tried and I don't know why

I'm just a little girl lost in the moment
I'm so scared but I don't show it
I can't figure it out, it's bringing me down
I know I've got to let it go and just enjoy the show
Just Enjoy the show

skateluvr

Record Breaker
If they gave points for juggling while skating under CoP she'd learn fast, lol. Oh, God, the news is making me terrified as usual...thank heaven for fs and f boards!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie seems to have a good head on her shoulders. She actually seems more mature them someone like Mirai. She's going to need that next season when so much is expected of her.

Yes, I was equally impressed by Gracie's choice of music. It had just the right zing for a young skater, yet it showed her ability to express subtleties in rhythm. Because she's not a little kid, and this is in its way her debut into senior ranks.

Not that we need to say anything more about the wonderfulness of Davis/White, but isn't their exhibition skate gorgeous? I could watch them for the whole two hours. The Shibutanis are splendid to behold also. But the couples routine that really laid me out was Evora/Ladwig's pairs exhibition. It was one of those moments when I felt I was seeing what skating really is for the first time.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
All three skates were wonderful.
Along with Nathan Chen and Gracie Gold, they were my highlights of the day.

Agnes Zawadzki's sit spin had a very interesting pretzelish position. I have to watch again to see how she gets into it.

I was sad that they didn't include Donlan & Speroff, and instead gifted us with the sight of the Denney girls Tebowing (not a surprise, aren't they from FL originally).

However, IN should be putting this on demand some time later this year. There were a number of quite good performances.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the exhibitions were being discussed real time in the nationals forum :)

Serious Business

Record Breaker
If they gave points for juggling while skating under CoP she'd learn fast, lol. Oh, God, the news is making me terrified as usual...thank heaven for fs and f boards!

I hope everything's OK! As for the COP awarding points for juggling, don't give the ISU any ideas! They already have plenty of level features that don't directly pertain to skating ability, or aesthetics, or audience enjoyment at all. Although, I think audiences would actually enjoy juggling on ice more than seeing yet another pairs lift with a skate grab.

I think Gracie should consider incorporating juggling to her exhibition routines, at least. Her current gala number, though, is actually miles better in concept, music and choreography than her competitive pieces. I hope to see better programs from her in coming seasons.

Additional thoughts on the gala:

Nathan Chen was ridiculously cute.

I gasped (not out loud, just in my head) when Sandra called Adam a "skater's skater". Maybe I'm misunderstanding the term, but I used to remember it being applied constantly to Yuka Sato and Kurt Browning based on their great edges and stroking. And while Rippon has a thousand great qualities, edging and stroking aren't among them.

Total Adele overload. I remember at least 3 uses of Adele. Someone skated to Adele's cover of Make You Feel My Love, Davis/White used Someone Like You, and Jeremy Abbott used Hometown Glory. I like Adele and all, but the only song of hers I liked here was Hometown Glory.

I was pleasantly surprised that Davis/White got the last spot, a reasonable acknowledgement of the fact that they are the US' leading skaters across all the disciplines (they are the reigning World Champions and undefeated in soooo long).

Sandra and Scott need to keep quiet while skaters are performing. It's not the competition any more, you don't have to critique them. Just let us enjoy the music.

It was a pretty great gala (at least what they showed). The only two performances that stood out as a bit lacking to me are the ones from the two top pairs teams. But I suppose that's just a symptom of how miserable the US pairs program is.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I suspect that they didn't show Donlan & Speroff because they looked better than the top 3 pair teams ;) , at least for line and polish. Conspiracy, conspiracy. It seems to be my day for conspiracy theories.

KKonas

Medalist
Yes, I was equally impressed by Gracie's choice of music. It had just the right zing for a young skater, yet it showed her ability to express subtleties in rhythm. Because she's not a little kid, and this is in its way her debut into senior ranks.

Not that we need to say anything more about the wonderfulness of Davis/White, but isn't their exhibition skate gorgeous? I could watch them for the whole two hours. The Shibutanis are splendid to behold also. But the couples routine that really laid mea out was Evora/Ladwig's pairs exhibition. It was one of those moments when I felt I was seeing what skating really is for the first time.

The Shibs, Davis & White and Evora & Ladwig were my three favorite performances as well. I hope we don't put too much pressure on Gracie this season. Nathan Chen is talented and as cute as can be but he is so tiny at 12, that he looks 9 and will eventually grow. I just can't get too excited about him yet.

verte76

On the Ice
I was impressed with Gracies choice of music as well. "The Show" is one of my favorite songs.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I suspect that they didn't show Donlan & Speroff because they looked better than the top 3 pair teams ;) , at least for line and polish. Conspiracy, conspiracy. It seems to be my day for conspiracy theories.

They didn't show Kriengkrairut and Giulietti-Schmitt, either. Which I wish NBC did, as I think they're rather superior to Hubbell and Donahue. However K/G-S were not going to show up the Shibutanis or Davis/White. I think NBC just decided to show only the pewter medalist in men's and women's, 'cause NBC thinks that's where the money is, never mind the fact that the organizers thought Davis/White were the biggest stars, and that ice dancing is, by far, the best discipline in US skating now.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I actually really loved Czisny and am surprised no one has mentioned her. I had no idea she could do a backward Charlotte spiral, and while it wasn't held out I was impressed. I wish she'd incorporate it into a program. I also thought moon river was a great choice for her. So lovely.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Scott and Sandy comment because NBC paid them to. It's not like they swooped in grabbed mics and started blabbing just because they were bored.

tulosai

Record Breaker
They didn't show Kriengkrairut and Giulietti-Schmitt, either. Which I wish NBC did, as I think they're rather superior to Hubbell and Donahue. However K/G-S were not going to show up the Shibutanis or Davis/White. I think NBC just decided to show only the pewter medalist in men's and women's, 'cause NBC thinks that's where the money is, never mind the fact that the organizers thought Davis/White were the biggest stars, and that ice dancing is, by far, the best discipline in US skating now.

I actually felt almost in pain when I was watching Hubble/Donahue. Something about them just irks me. It is difficult to explain.

I am glad they showed Caroline but join everyone who wishes they had showed Dolan/Speroff. Sigh.

verte76

On the Ice
I loved Alissa as well. Moon River was a great choice of music, I agree. My canary Fiona chirped away happily during the performances.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I actually really loved Czisny and am surprised no one has mentioned her. I had no idea she could do a backward Charlotte spiral, and while it wasn't held out I was impressed. I wish she'd incorporate it into a program. I also thought moon river was a great choice for her. So lovely.

I've loved this number all season. But I guess I've seen it a few times now and didn't feel the need to single it out. It was nice to see it performed perfectly again, though.

Scott and Sandy comment because NBC paid them to. It's not like they swooped in grabbed mics and started blabbing just because they were bored.

They should stick to commenting in between performances. Or, NBC could just not pay them to commentate at all during the gala (the 5th place network could use the cash). I've watched broadcasts of skating from all over the world, most commentators get that the gala performances don't need real time commentary. Only the particularly self-indulgent ones do.

verte76

On the Ice
I've loved this number all season. But I guess I've seen it a few times now and didn't feel the need to single it out. It was nice to see it performed perfectly again, though.

They should stick to commenting in between performances. Or, NBC could just not pay them to commentate at all during the gala (the 5th place network could use the cash). I've watched broadcasts of skating from all over the world, most commentators get that the gala performances don't need real time commentary. Only the particularly self-indulgent ones do.

Sometimes I wish they'd shut up too!