Anyone watch the Gala skate? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Anyone watch the Gala skate?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I loved Alissa as well. Moon River was a great choice of music, I agree. My canary Fiona chirped away happily during the performances.

Well, there you go, if Fiona the bird enjoyed it, it is a great choice of music for Alissa.:laugh:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
There is a poor quality video Of G Gold's LP, maybe someone has uploaded a better version, but they get taken down pretty quickly. They were smart to keep her in juniors and let he take the title. I am hoping for a program next year with more polish rhan her LP, which was technically so good. I hope the year brings her good luck, and that her body does not betray her, as so many teenagers.

Oreo

On the Ice
I missed the beginning. Nathan Chen s a spitfire, I wonder if they showed Karen Chen in the beginning.

It's a pity they didn't show Karen Chen (I was at the exhibitions in SJ) because she did a gorgeous exhibition to some Chinese music where she had a huge fan in each hand. The announcers also mentioned her grandparents had flown all the way from Taiwan especially to see her compete.

Everybody did well in the exhibitions, but I especially like Alissa and Evora and Ladwig's programs.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I enjoyed the Gala. Highlights for me were:

Mark and Amanda who I think are miles ahead of the other US pairs teams but alas
failed to deliver the technical requirements at Nationals.

Meryl, Charlie, Alex, Mai and Alissa IMO are in a class of their own, loved their performances.

The Jr. champs were delightful and Caroline's skating looked much better on TV than in the poor quality video that was posted in the Caroline thread.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
I enjoyed most of the numbers, including the little pairs skater Mary Beth Marley. She reminds me a lot of Katya Gordeeva at 16, but also her face makes me think of a young Julie Andrews! Quite cute.

KKonas

Medalist
I enjoyed most of the numbers, including the little pairs skater Mary Beth Marley. She reminds me a lot of Katya Gordeeva at 16, but also her face makes me think of a young Julie Andrews! Quite cute.

I first saw Gordeeva & Grinkov live when they won World Jrs. in Colo. Spgs in 1985. Marley has nowhere near the elegance of Gordeeva, and because of her stocky body build never will. Her air positions in lifts are terrible, but hopefully they may improve.

verte76

On the Ice
My canary did enjoy Alissa's music and program. She chirped away happily during the whole thing.

I first saw Gordeeva & Grinkov live when they won World Jrs. in Colo. Spgs in 1985. Marley has nowhere near the elegance of Gordeeva, and because of her stocky body build never will. Her air positions in lifts are terrible, but hopefully they may improve.

You saw them LIVE? You luckiest of ducks. Yeah, I expect that even to this day, there's no one like them. How nice that Katia's still skating. She gives us a picture of a complete spectrum of artistic accomplishment, from young prodigy to mature artist. Thereby making us all lucky ducks...but few are as lucky as you!

ETA: Frankly, KKonas, I think you should just start your own thread and tell us stories about what you've seen.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

yeah she is definitely stiff in the air, I chalk that up to inexperience (and fear!)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yeay for Mathman. Mary Beth is no longer a garden gnome. I dont know what the TV aspect ratio has done to her as I havent watched it yet but she was magnificent in person. Anyone says she is afraid is wrong-oh. They have come far and they are comming on fast. And the Rock looks great with the new hair style. There is one pairs lady that could stand to loose a few pounds but its not Mary Beth. She is what she is and what she is is great.
And they , I am told, have a great work ethic. I wish them all the best. And I cant wait to follow Karen Chen's progression.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I watched this in real time over in the US Nationals section, and was excited because I thought they would show Donlan & Speroff since they won the pewter medal, but alas they showed every other medalist except the pewter medalists in pairs & ice dance, yet NBC made the time to show Ashley Wagner's FS and Davis & White's FD again, go figure... They could've easily used those 8 minutes to show the two medalists that were left out, which I just named. BUT, on the bright side, IN *will* be showing the whole thing soon! :clap:

Regards pairs, I agree with the poster that stated Mary Beth Marley is no Ekaterina Gordeeva; the only thing they have in common is similar coloring and they both skate pairs (used to in Katia's case). But I think there is nothing wrong with that because Mary Beth and Rockne have similar builds, which complements each other; in fact it would look weird to see Rockne paired up with someone of Katia's somatype. He'll do, and has done, just fine with Mary Beth. They are more athletic skaters, in the same vein as Denney & Coughlin; it'll be interesting to see theses two fight it out for 1st & 2nd place over the coming years. :cool: