Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone watch the Gala skate?

Scott and Sandy comment because NBC paid them to. It's not like they swooped in grabbed mics and started blabbing just because they were bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    They didn't show Kriengkrairut and Giulietti-Schmitt, either. Which I wish NBC did, as I think they're rather superior to Hubbell and Donahue. However K/G-S were not going to show up the Shibutanis or Davis/White. I think NBC just decided to show only the pewter medalist in men's and women's, 'cause NBC thinks that's where the money is, never mind the fact that the organizers thought Davis/White were the biggest stars, and that ice dancing is, by far, the best discipline in US skating now.
    I actually felt almost in pain when I was watching Hubble/Donahue. Something about them just irks me. It is difficult to explain.

I am glad they showed Caroline but join everyone who wishes they had showed Dolan/Speroff. Sigh.

I loved Alissa as well. Moon River was a great choice of music, I agree. My canary Fiona chirped away happily during the performances.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I actually really loved Czisny and am surprised no one has mentioned her. I had no idea she could do a backward Charlotte spiral, and while it wasn't held out I was impressed. I wish she'd incorporate it into a program. I also thought moon river was a great choice for her. So lovely.
    I've loved this number all season. But I guess I've seen it a few times now and didn't feel the need to single it out. It was nice to see it performed perfectly again, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Scott and Sandy comment because NBC paid them to. It's not like they swooped in grabbed mics and started blabbing just because they were bored.
    They should stick to commenting in between performances. Or, NBC could just not pay them to commentate at all during the gala (the 5th place network could use the cash). I've watched broadcasts of skating from all over the world, most commentators get that the gala performances don't need real time commentary. Only the particularly self-indulgent ones do.

Anyone watch the Gala skate?

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    I've loved this number all season. But I guess I've seen it a few times now and didn't feel the need to single it out. It was nice to see it performed perfectly again, though.

They should stick to commenting in between performances. Or, NBC could just not pay them to commentate at all during the gala (the 5th place network could use the cash). I've watched broadcasts of skating from all over the world, most commentators get that the gala performances don't need real time commentary. Only the particularly self-indulgent ones do.
    Sometimes I wish they'd shut up too!

Quote Originally Posted by verte76 View Post
    I loved Alissa as well. Moon River was a great choice of music, I agree. My canary Fiona chirped away happily during the performances.
    Well, there you go, if Fiona the bird enjoyed it, it is a great choice of music for Alissa.

Hope some videos show up on Youtube!! Dying to see Gracie Gold..

There is a poor quality video Of G Gold's LP, maybe someone has uploaded a better version, but they get taken down pretty quickly. They were smart to keep her in juniors and let he take the title. I am hoping for a program next year with more polish rhan her LP, which was technically so good. I hope the year brings her good luck, and that her body does not betray her, as so many teenagers.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I missed the beginning. Nathan Chen s a spitfire, I wonder if they showed Karen Chen in the beginning.
    It's a pity they didn't show Karen Chen (I was at the exhibitions in SJ) because she did a gorgeous exhibition to some Chinese music where she had a huge fan in each hand. The announcers also mentioned her grandparents had flown all the way from Taiwan especially to see her compete.

Everybody did well in the exhibitions, but I especially like Alissa and Evora and Ladwig's programs.

I enjoyed the Gala. Highlights for me were:

Mark and Amanda who I think are miles ahead of the other US pairs teams but alas
    failed to deliver the technical requirements at Nationals.

Meryl, Charlie, Alex, Mai and Alissa IMO are in a class of their own, loved their performances.

The Jr. champs were delightful and Caroline's skating looked much better on TV than in the poor quality video that was posted in the Caroline thread.

Custom Title
    I enjoyed most of the numbers, including the little pairs skater Mary Beth Marley. She reminds me a lot of Katya Gordeeva at 16, but also her face makes me think of a young Julie Andrews! Quite cute.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jsteam4501s View Post
    I enjoyed most of the numbers, including the little pairs skater Mary Beth Marley. She reminds me a lot of Katya Gordeeva at 16, but also her face makes me think of a young Julie Andrews! Quite cute.
    I first saw Gordeeva & Grinkov live when they won World Jrs. in Colo. Spgs in 1985. Marley has nowhere near the elegance of Gordeeva, and because of her stocky body build never will. Her air positions in lifts are terrible, but hopefully they may improve.

My canary did enjoy Alissa's music and program. She chirped away happily during the whole thing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    I first saw Gordeeva & Grinkov live when they won World Jrs. in Colo. Spgs in 1985. Marley has nowhere near the elegance of Gordeeva, and because of her stocky body build never will. Her air positions in lifts are terrible, but hopefully they may improve.
    You saw them LIVE? You luckiest of ducks. Yeah, I expect that even to this day, there's no one like them. How nice that Katia's still skating. She gives us a picture of a complete spectrum of artistic accomplishment, from young prodigy to mature artist. Thereby making us all lucky ducks...but few are as lucky as you!

ETA: Frankly, KKonas, I think you should just start your own thread and tell us stories about what you've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    yeah she is definitely stiff in the air, I chalk that up to inexperience (and fear!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast