Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Lysacek and show skating?

  1. #1
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,592

    Question Lysacek and show skating?

    DID he do ANY shows this season? I have seen some of the Disson shows but don't recall Evan doing anything, anywhere. He was not with the SOI 10 city tour was he? Where is Evan, and why such a low profile?

  2. #2
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    No he wasn't in Disson or SOI, he probably didn't committ to either because he thought he was skating at Skate America and Nationals.

  3. #3
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,592
    Toni, please refresh my memory as to exactly why he was not at SA and Nationals. These are competitions so he does not get money unless he places, right? No one gets an appearance fee for just showing up or do they? What did the gold medalists receive at Sa and nationals this season? Thanks if you know.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    No one gets an appearance fee for just showing up or do they?.
    Evan thought he deserved an appearance fee, it didn't materialize, so he skipped out.

    Supposedly. I think Evan got too fat to skate and made up this entire money excuse to save face at competition time.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,502
    In the good old golden days in the USA, skating stars used to get big fat bonuses to show up . AFAIK, Lysacek was negotiating his fees but at the end, it was not satisfactory. He blamed the USFSA for using his name and image before the deal was closed. I figure USFSA looked at the poor ticket sales and could not afford him. Trouble was the deal crumbled close to the competition date and was very disappointing for many fans. Lysacek was supposed to be well trained.

  6. #6
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    In the good old golden days in the USA, skating stars used to get big fat bonuses to show up . AFAIK, Lysacek was negotiating his fees but at the end, it was not satisfactory. He blamed the USFSA for using his name and image before the deal was closed. I figure USFSA looked at the poor ticket sales and could not afford him. Trouble was the deal crumbled close to the competition date and was very disappointing for many fans. Lysacek was supposed to be well trained.
    Actually HE never did. His new agency did. The agency that works mainly with rockstars... All Evan said was an agreement was not made and he was bummed because he was ready to go. Frank Carroll said at SA that it was all "news to him" and he had no clue as to what was going on.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    From Lysacek's twitter:

    on Jan.22,2012:

    Getting ready for my flight to Dubai. So excited. I've never been to the Middle East.


    on Jan.30,2012:

    I had an amazing time in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. I'm not great at taking photos, but I did capture a few good ones.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Actually HE never did. His new agency did. The agency that works mainly with rockstars... All Evan said was an agreement was not made and he was bummed because he was ready to go. Frank Carroll said at SA that it was all "news to him" and he had no clue as to what was going on.
    When one is represented by somebody else, it's still all about the person giving the mandate and it is his name, his responsibility, his career, his money minus a cut, etc. One doesn't take orders from the representative, whom one can fire.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 02-05-2012 at 01:43 AM.

  9. #9
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,333
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    In the good old golden days in the USA, skating stars used to get big fat bonuses to show up . AFAIK, Lysacek was negotiating his fees but at the end, it was not satisfactory. He blamed the USFSA for using his name and image before the deal was closed. I figure USFSA looked at the poor ticket sales and could not afford him. Trouble was the deal crumbled close to the competition date and was very disappointing for many fans. Lysacek was supposed to be well trained.
    The other theory is that it wasn't about appearance fees at all, but rather that the USFSA wanted a cut of Lysacek's endorsement money from other sources, as is usual for skating federations.

    The only thing that was announced by either side was that "it was about money."
    Last edited by Mathman; 02-05-2012 at 11:17 AM.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    908
    I wish Evan had continued competing following his OGM win. Now, the nay-sayers will never cease to speak badly about him and will further tarnish his reputation as an undeserving quad-less champion. It seemed to me that he was 1) Not fat at all 2)Well-trained 3)Eager to return to competition. Maybe the demons started haunting him ie his quad-less repertoire, a re-emerging Plushenko, and the rising quad Squads.

    Personally, he should retired. Unless, he is miraculously able to produce one quad in the SP and two quads in his LP in the fall.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    The other theory is that it wasn't about appearance fees at all, but rather that the USFSA wanted a cut of Lysacek's endorsement money from other sources, as is usual for skating federations.
    Except, when was the last time anyone saw Evan in a commercial?

  12. #12
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    68
    It has been established as this unfolded from folks who know that situation that the USFSA NEVER ASKED for any of Evan's money. That's absurb - they have no basis on which to do that and never would. Evan's new representation (and whomever said he controls that is quite right) asked for a very large appearance fee - clearly they do not understand the figure skating market or USFSA and the amounts of money that are possible. In recent years the USFSA has not paid appearance fees for anyone but even with that fact in place, Evan's agents asked for way more than they possibly could have paid or would have paid even in better years. I think there is a real lack of information and understanding there. The problem of course is that the person who pays the price for that is Evan.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    384
    Evan should say bye, bye to his clueless agents!!!

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandenburg View Post
    Evan's new representation (and whomever said he controls that is quite right) asked for a very large appearance fee -
    In recent years the USFSA has not paid appearance fees for anyone but even with that fact in place, Evan's agents asked for way more than they possibly could have paid or would have paid even in better years.
    But if that's the case, Evan could have agreed to skate anyway. Evan's agents cannot stop him from skating.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,052
    Anyone know what endorsements Evan still has?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •