Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Which pair was America's best?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Tai and Randy! Tai and Randy! Tai and Randy! Two skating as one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63cmIfO-u6k

Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it, modern-day pairs skaters!
    Thanx MM, I had forgotten their awesome pull arabians-just great!

Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    I've been watching since 1991. In that period, 1991-2012, I think our best pair has been Meno & Sand. They had the best overall package of solid technical skills, strong pairs quality, and nice artistic skating. They always had good programs and a notable ability to connect with audiences. Jenni in particular was a very strong lady pairs skater--she had that special charisma. She really sold their programs and shone as a performer. Certainly, Meno & Sand were our most successful pair internationally: They won three World medals between 1994-1998. That's the most for any U.S. pair since Babilonia & Gardner (who also won three).

I also liked Kyoko Ina & Jason Dungjen. They were a very strong, athletic pair who broke up just as they were starting to make an impact on the international level. Personally I liked Kyoko better with Dungjen than with Zimmerman, because I thought their individual skating styles matched better than hers and Zimmerman's. (Although my husband liked her and Zimmerman more.)
    Anyone know why a team Ina/Dungjen split after coming in 4th at the Olympics? (or was it worlds?) I remember their skating and felt they'd be on the podium the next year. Zimmerman/Ina never were for my taste.
    Last edited by skateluvr; 02-11-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Custom Title
    The official line was that Jason wanted to turn pro and Kyoko did not. He was a tad older than her and it could be argued that he wanted to maximize his earning potential while still physically able. There was speculation that there was personal falling out. It worked out well in the end for both regardless. Jason married Yuka and even skated pairs with her very competently. They are of course premier coaches in the US now. (BTW, if they will ever expand their growing school to include elite pairs given their background). Kyoko and John took a while to gel, but the final result was quite good. They were also a fine pro team and still skate together in some shows.

Custom Title
    Yes, I think it worked out well for both Ina and Dungjen. Zimmerman is a wonderful partner, and Jason ended up with Yuka. I was always astonished that Yuka learned pairs skating virtually as an adult and did some of those lifts and things, some of which have an element of real danger. Does anyone know whether she had any pairs experience earlier in her life? Either way, her second skating career says something about her character and perseverance and also about Jason's coaching abilities. I think she also learned English rather late, and yet she's very fluent. She must be one of those people (like Gordeyeva, I suspect) who has an ear for language. I wonder whether Dungjen has learned Japanese.

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    The talk at the time presented a bit more of a one-sided situation, tho. Much was made of Ina reportedly pretty much dumping Dungen via answering machine message. But that could have been sensationalized partly or entirely, of course.

Custom Title
    Thank you, Mathman! What a treat to see pairs skating as it was meant to be skated. Tai & Randy were the team that made me love pairs. I have to say, tho' that whenever I watch tapes of Tai and Randy, I'm reminded of what happened at the Olympics in 1980. Tai and Randy were almost the same height (which of course contributed to those beautiful lines & the true image of 2 skating as 1) and altho' Tai was a perfectly normal weight for her height, it had to be quite a strain on Randy to be lifting her over his head, day after day. I'm saving this video in my youtube "library"...will play it whenever I'm depressed after watching a few of today's pairs skaters ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Tai and Randy! Tai and Randy! Tai and Randy! Two skating as one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63cmIfO-u6k

Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it, modern-day pairs skaters!

Quote Originally Posted by jcoates View Post
    (BTW, if they will ever expand their growing school to include elite pairs given their background). Kyoko and John took a while to gel, but the final result was quite good. They were also a fine pro team and still skate together in some shows.
    I too am hoping they take on a pair or two in the next few years but I doubt they are OPPOSED to the idea- probably waiting to be approached by the right one(s).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2