Patrick Chan Interview with Maclean's | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan Interview with Maclean's

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Questions to the OP, what kind of paper is this interview in, who is the author, her background, and what exactly are compression pants?

mmcdermott

On the Ice
Questions to the OP, what kind of paper is this interview in, who is the author, her background, and what exactly are compression pants?

I'm sorry, as a Canadian this is kind of :laugh: You've never heard of Maclean's ?!!?!? Of course, as an American you probably haven't :). It's like Time or Newsweek. I don't read it regularly so I can't say about the author ...

Interesting interview (so far ...). I wish people wouldn't go on about Kurt saying he was the best figure skater ever (and I think this is somewhat twisting what Kurt actually said, but I can't remember his exact words when it first came up...)

Last edited:

Dragonlady

Final Flight

MacLean's is the top Canadian news magaine similar to Newsweek or Time in the US. I'm not familiar with this particular writer but suffice it to say that if they're writing for MacLeans, they have decent credentials. This is a highly respected publication.

MacLeans is owned by the publishing division of Rogers Communications who also own the Toronto Blue Jays, the Toronto Raptors, the Toronto Maple Leafs, Rogers Cable, Sportsnet (Canadian Cable Sports Channel) and the CITY chain of television stations.

I wish people wouldn't go on about Kurt saying he was the best figure skater ever (and I think this is somewhat twisting what Kurt actually said, but I can't remember his exact words when it first came up...)

I don't remember the exact words either, but if it was something along the lines that "Patrick could become the best skater ever," or "By the time Patrick's skating career is complete he might well be acknowledged as the best ever" -- I don't think there would be much to take exception to.

It is amazing how natural this young man come across in his interviews.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
It is amazing how natural this young man come across in his interviews.

I have watched Patrick on and off the ice since he was 9 years old. He is a genuinely nice young man who is kind and considerate of those around him. No arrogance, no attitude, just fun-loving and honest. His parents have every reason to be proud, not just because he's World Champion.

veravina

Rinkside
I heard Kurt say that Patrick was the best skater he (Kurt) had ever seen. That's different than saying Patrick is the best skater ever - though I can see how commentators would rephrase it.

jettasian

Match Penalty
I heard Kurt say that Patrick was the best skater he (Kurt) had ever seen. That's different than saying Patrick is the best skater ever - though I can see how commentators would rephrase it.

Does it matter? I mean, that's Kurt's opinion. To him, Patrick's the best, whether it's skater ever or best skater he had ever seen. Who are we to agree or disagree with him? PJ Kwon has her list. I'm sure many people have their lists. So what's the big deal?

^ Well, I would think it was a big deal if Kurt Browning had said I was the best skater he had ever seen.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Especially considering that many people consider Kurt one of the best skaters of all time. He's definitely in my Top 2.

jettasian

Match Penalty
To Patrick, yeah. But I was referring to the exact words that Kurt may have said.

Especially considering that many people consider Kurt one of the best skaters of all time. He's definitely in my Top 2.

Well, Kurt can't said "I am the best skater of all time." Right?

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Great and informative interview. He confirmed my suspicions when he said he's been working extensively in modern dance. I did notice his movement and musicality becoming a lot more refined in the last few years. He is as blunt as ever when he says that he's now the one to beat. But it's only arrogance if you're wrong!

mmcdermott

On the Ice
That's what I thought it was too. I just don't want to see it get turned into major hype. Patrick has won one world championship, let's not get too excited :)

I had to giggle at that last question when she asks about Sochi and he says he has to make the team first. Take it one step at a time now! :cool:

jettasian

Match Penalty
I personally think Chan will be, regardless whatever medals he has won. Lysacke has Olympic gold, Chan doesn't. But if you ask people, who's better, Lysacke or Chan. Most will think Chan.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I'm sorry, as a Canadian this is kind of :laugh: You've never heard of Maclean's ?!!?!? Of course, as an American you probably haven't :). It's like Time or Newsweek. I don't read it regularly so I can't say about the author ...

Interesting interview (so far ...). I wish people wouldn't go on about Kurt saying he was the best figure skater ever (and I think this is somewhat twisting what Kurt actually said, but I can't remember his exact words when it first came up...)

I find it rather condescending-your reply. Why would I know of a publication like this? There are a million US large publications I don't know. We're just so parochial here south of the border.:p