Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Patrick Chan Interview with Maclean's

Quote Originally Posted by veravina View Post
    I heard Kurt say that Patrick was the best skater he (Kurt) had ever seen. That's different than saying Patrick is the best skater ever - though I can see how commentators would rephrase it.
    That's what I thought it was too. I just don't want to see it get turned into major hype. Patrick has won one world championship, let's not get too excited

I had to giggle at that last question when she asks about Sochi and he says he has to make the team first. Take it one step at a time now!

Custom Title
    I don't think Kurt is just being modest. Actually Kurt is not alone in holding this opinion. Rod Black thinks so as well:
    http://www.tsn.ca/figure_skating/story/?id=309724

Banned
    I personally think Chan will be, regardless whatever medals he has won. Lysacke has Olympic gold, Chan doesn't. But if you ask people, who's better, Lysacke or Chan. Most will think Chan.

Quote Originally Posted by mmcdermott View Post
    I'm sorry, as a Canadian this is kind of You've never heard of Maclean's ?!!?!? Of course, as an American you probably haven't . It's like Time or Newsweek. I don't read it regularly so I can't say about the author ...

Interesting interview (so far ...). I wish people wouldn't go on about Kurt saying he was the best figure skater ever (and I think this is somewhat twisting what Kurt actually said, but I can't remember his exact words when it first came up...)
    I find it rather condescending-your reply. Why would I know of a publication like this? There are a million US large publications I don't know. We're just so parochial here south of the border.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    He is as blunt as ever when he says that he's now the one to beat. But it's only arrogance if you're wrong!
    Disagree. More like 'candid' and 'truthful' or 'politically incorrect' at worse.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Disagree. More like 'candid' and 'truthful' or 'politically incorrect' at worse.
    I agree with this. It is very clear that if Patrick does what he's done at 2012 Canadian Nationals, no one with two clean programs could beat Patrick, not Takahashi, not Abbott, not Kozuka, none.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I agree also, I never liked false modesty or pc words, and if you don't think you are the best you won't be the best anyway, Chan has champion mindset. If you skate like you have won already, you will win
    The opposite are Kozuka and Abott, in my opinion.
    Daisuke is already there as Chan, especially after Vancouver.
    Last edited by seniorita; 02-09-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Banned
    He is as blunt as ever when he says that he's now the one to beat. But it's only arrogance if you're wrong!
    Well, pretty much everyone believes that if he skates like he did at National, nobody can beat him. So why can't he say the same?

Custom Title
    You've taken his comments completely out of context and twisted them into something he didn't say. He said his goals changed after last years Worlds because up until he won Worlds and set the record for the highest score ever, there was always someone he wanted to do better than, someone he was aiming to knock off the podium, but at the beginning of this season, there was no one to look at and say "I want to knock him off the podium" because now the rest of the guys are looking at him and saying that about him because as World Champion and highest score ever, he's the one to beat.

Sounds a whole lot less arrogant when you put the entire comment into context.

Custom Title
    He's just keeping the same mindset as the first time at the Nationals as the Canadian Champion. He said then he didn't come to defend his title but to attack it. One wins by knocking off the top guy/gal, and now that's himself. So he wants to be better than himself at last Worlds. When you have a winning formula, keep it.

eta. I don't think Serious Business called Patrick arrogant, more like acknowledging his current status. Just how I read her post.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 02-09-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Especially considering that many people consider Kurt one of the best skaters of all time. He's definitely in my Top 2.
    Who's the other one? Patrick?

Wonder how many skaters have compression pants. They look like rocket science!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Wonder how many skaters have compression pants. They look like rocket science!
    It's really a simple idea but a matter of having them designed and manufactured. Enough athletes use them to make it a good enough market for their production. They might have originated as a medical device.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 02-09-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Seriour Business said that Patrick is not arrogant, being not wrong. Right? (Maybe "arrogant only if" wiuld make it more clear than "only arrogant if." )

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Seriour Business said that Patrick is not arrogant, being not wrong. Right? (Maybe "arrogant only if" wiuld make it more clear than "only arrogant if." )
    Right. If Patrick won, he is not arrogant. If he didn't win, the only thing left for him if he says this is arrogance. That's what I understood Serious Business' meaning.

However, to me, Patrick is telling the absolute truth. So it is not arrogance whether he wins or loses. If he wins, all things are in order. If he loses, it means that he didn't skate the best he could in order to beat the old-himself. So it's Patrick battling with old-Patrick.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Who's the other one? Patrick?
    Alexei Yagudin

I think Patrick could be Top 3 in the future but it's way too early to tell.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast