Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Patrick Chan Interview with Maclean's

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I find it rather condescending-your reply. Why would I know of a publication like this? There are a million US large publications I don't know. We're just so parochial here south of the border.
    Of course you wouldn't, that's why I said "Of course, as an American you probably haven't ". It's just one of those funny differences between countries, that's all. Don't take me so seriously It's all in jest!

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    You've taken his comments completely out of context and twisted them into something he didn't say. He said his goals changed after last years Worlds because up until he won Worlds and set the record for the highest score ever, there was always someone he wanted to do better than, someone he was aiming to knock off the podium, but at the beginning of this season, there was no one to look at and say "I want to knock him off the podium" because now the rest of the guys are looking at him and saying that about him because as World Champion and highest score ever, he's the one to beat.

Sounds a whole lot less arrogant when you put the entire comment into context.

you dont say..Plush was beating his own world record (total, sp and lp) throught the whole olympiad losing gold only two times, something I m sure Patrick is set up to do now each season, saying that after Yagudin there was none to chase, but somehow I remember a different drum from you

But as I said it would be ridiculous for Chan not to believe /say sth like that, since it is pretty much true. Although in just my opinion I want to see both him and Daisuke totally clean in sp and lp, skate to their full potential.
    Last edited by seniorita; 02-09-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeing787 View Post
    I don't think Kurt is just being modest. Actually Kurt is not alone in holding this opinion. Rod Black thinks so as well:
    http://www.tsn.ca/figure_skating/story/?id=309724
    Philippe Pelissier (skating coach and commentator) of France already declared Patrick Chan the best male skater in history. Kurt, of course, has been a long time fan of Patrick's skating, and is seeing even more potential.

Personally, I think Browning and Yagudin still have their years over Chan who needs more time to develop his artistry and versatility, to have a bigger and more varied repertoire, and to win more titles. But he is certainly among the best at his age, taking into consideration all aspects of figure skating. I don't think anyone has achieved his level in all areas of a program at 20 and now 21. (Of course, the sport progresses with time.) In fact, I think so far his biggest impact on the sport is combining quad jumps with exquisite and non stop footwork. This is one bar that has been permanently raised.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ^ Although...Kurt has seen a lot of them.
    but he admits he doesn't watch himself, so....

If we were to fairly compare these guys, we'd have to wait until Kurt retired fully from skating and Patrick hit whatever age Kurt retires at... comparing Pat's age now to what Kurt looked like at the same age - I think Patrick has him beat, based wholey on the choreography (I don't think Kurt's skating got interesting until Casablanca, even his exhibitions were subpar choreographically). Blade to ice, I still think Kurt had him beat. And Kurt's 3A is the best in the world IMO, so...
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 02-09-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Right. If Patrick won, he is not arrogant. If he didn't win, the only thing left for him if he says this is arrogance. That's what I understood Serious Business' meaning.
    I know people are sensitive because Patrick has been besieged by antifans all the time. But I was agreeing with Patrick. He's just saying what any reasonable observer of figure skating is saying now: he's the one to beat. I don't think Patrick is being arrogant at all. He is, by far, the best male singles skater in the world right now. It was absolutely true when he said it. Now it's possible he'll deteriorate as a skater at worlds and/or have a really bad day or two. But that doesn't negate the fact that when he said this, he was right.

To recap: I don't think what Patrick said was arrogant. That won't change even if he loses worlds. And I stand by my statement of him being "blunt". It is a blunt thing to say, and not just from a PR standpoint, he is directly acknowledging to himself and everybody else that he has the most to lose right now, since he is the frontrunner. It works for him and it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    but he admits he doesn't watch himself, so....

If we were to fairly compare these guys, we'd have to wait until Kurt retired fully from skating and Patrick hit whatever age Kurt retires at... comparing Pat's age now to what Kurt looked like at the same age - I think Patrick has him beat, based wholey on the choreography (I don't think Kurt's skating got interesting until Casablanca, even his exhibitions were subpar choreographically). Blade to ice, I still think Kurt had him beat. And Kurt's 3A is the best in the world IMO, so...
    I believe that Scott Hamilton said that Kurt was the best skater he ever saw.

And Marie Davis of Far Rckaway, New York, thinks that Scott is the best she has ever seen.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/292226.../#.TzQpk1F5nHg

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Alexei Yagudin
    Browning and Yagudin - can't argue with you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I believe that Scott Hamilton said that Kurt was the best skater he ever saw.

And Marie Davis of Far Rckaway, New York, thinks that Scott is the best she has ever seen.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/292226.../#.TzQpk1F5nHg
    I've seen Scott skate live TWICE... and he's the reason I'm a fan of the sport at all (he stole my heart at age four) it's just been the last, oh, ten years or so that I've said Kurt's the best SKATER ever... but best performer might still go to Scotty

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    While I prefer the skating of everybody from Browning to Yagudin to Chan to Takahashi, Plushenko, to me, is undeniably the greatest male skater ever. His sheer technical wizardry in jumps, his speed and command, and of course, his longevity in a sport that has become increasingly unfriendly to long careers. No one else comes close to his dominance and consistency.

Also, Chan is not going to overtake Browning in the greatness department unless he wins a few more World gold and/or the Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Chan is not going to overtake Browning in the greatness department unless he wins a few more World gold and/or the Olympics.
    Agree!

Custom Title
    Plushenko, to me, is undeniably the greatest male skater ever. His sheer technical wizardry in jumps, his speed and command, and of course, his longevity in a sport that has become increasingly unfriendly to long careers. No one else comes close to his dominance and consistency.
    Plushenko coulda been a contender but it is his lack of memorable programs that keeps him out of my top 5. I blame Mishin for this. When Yags and Plushenko were both young and neither had won Worlds yet, I always thought Plushenko would be the better skater because he has very dancey feet, but he was never given decent programs to skate. Jumping passes in front of the judges tables are not programs.

In order to make my short list, a skater has to not only be technically superior, but also skate programs that I want to watch over and over again. Yagudin meets the test, as does Kurt. Chan and Takahashi are headed in that direction. Yagudin: Lawrence of Arabia, Nutrocker, Winter, Man in the Iron Mask, Gladiator. And that's in just four years in his senior career.

Custom Title
    Also, Chan is not going to overtake Browning in the greatness department unless he wins a few more World gold and/or the Olympics.
    That's why I said he needed more time. But Kurt was talking about the best skater as his trained eyes told him, not about scores and titles. Kurt's unique ability to get into all kinds of characters in his performances, most of whom very entertaining, is unmatched. Patrick is able to get into the drama and emotion with his skating but he is not a natural actor. His artistry and expression is purer and true to skating. He's too good at being being his truthful self in real life so to be someone else is a skill he has to acquire, not an innate talent. He is learning though, as he aspires to be an entertainer as well.

As far as humour and entertainment value are concerned, Plushenko and Hamilton are not my cup of tea.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Browning had said Plushenko has great feet back in 2005 -2006 even if he didnt like him, one of things that I had bookmarked because I liked how he said his opinion, something that changed around 2010.
    What I like to watch on youtube or home is hardly what defines an athlete as greatest ever for the books. I m sure each one watches and finds memorable different programs from differents skaters. Btw the most watched skating video on YT apart from - anything of Yuna's of course- is Plushenko's sex bomb worlds 2001 with over 2 million views. I want to believe this is not supposed to be his best ever skate. Far behind PLu and Yag share the same almost views of their Olympic Lp. Stuff like that mean nothing. I never like greatest ever talks really.

Fifa made an online survey about who is the greatest footballer of all time at the end of the millenium, and Marandona won with 53.6% over Pele with 18.5%. But the survey on Fifa's magazine poll announced Pele the winner with 72.75 % to Maradona's 6%. It endeed up with the footballers taking double gold.
    Me I vote for Messi.
    Last edited by seniorita; 02-09-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Custom Title
    Right now Chan has no charisma or performance ability on the ice. Maybe he will have some by Sochi and deliver a great program that is also audience friendly. I admire his technical ambition and it's great for HIM that he is a does what's necessary for high PCS slave but as of yet has nothing memorable in the program department.

Custom Title
    Also I can't find a lot or really any where Plushenko did all his jumps in front of the judges!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast