What's Next For Mirai II | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What's Next For Mirai II

katymay

Medalist
I didn't interpret that guy's comment about Rachael as an insult to Rachael. I think he was trying to say that Mirai performed more poorly than Rachael who had more limited training resources (time, etc.) than she did. Well that's my personal interpretation. Who knows what he meant. If he did mean it that way, I would side with the guy more than I would with Mirai.

1)Twitter is evil.
2) Mirai and Frank are a bad combination. Mirai needs a coaching situation that is lighter, not more stressful, even if she fails to return to her former self. I do not think she responds well to Tiger Coach. I would suggest Toronto. (I would suggest Peter and Karen if Caroline were not already with them).
3) Mirai has lost the "joy" she used to skate with, and she needs to find someone who will restore this "joy", or, she should quit and perhaps go to college etc.. While elements are obviously important, judges are human, and skaters who appear as if they are happy to be performing are generally rewarded. I do not want to watch a skater who looks stressed, nervous and unhappy. Even though Rachel is a shadow of her former self, I enjoyed her performance at Nationals, because she seemed HAPPY on the ice. (And approps of nothing, Rachel's dress was the most beautiful skating dress I've ever seen....)

I so agree with you about Rachael's dress! It was inspired in its beauty and also in its interpretation of the music. And Rachael was a joy to watch because she seemed to be having such a good time.

I wish that for Mirai. I don't know if you're right about Carroll being the wrong coach for her. I think what's wrong is inside her. Is she afraid? Tired? I don't know if we can be sure. I hesitate to make statements about her parents, because we don't know what they have said to her or what action they have taken. These days, with what one hears about people out there, they might just not want to entrust their child to strangers. I know she's a legal adult in many ways, but maybe she's not one of the self-sufficient ones. Not everyone has the inner fortitude of a Michelle Kwan. When I was eighteen, I would have been a basket case if I had been sent out into the world on my own. College was tough enough.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just remember to keep this thread away from the privacy issues that closed the last thread! :)

I agree. One must also be careful of "validity" of comments made unless a reputable source/media outlet is clear.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
^^ The BEST way to do this is if you have a link to an article to back it up. Discussing her family life or her mental health with speculation and gossip is what got the other thread closed.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I so agree with you about Rachael's dress! It was inspired in its beauty and also in its interpretation of the music. And Rachael was a joy to watch because she seemed to be having such a good time.

I wish that for Mirai. I don't know if you're right about Carroll being the wrong coach for her. I think what's wrong is inside her. Is she afraid? Tired? I don't know if we can be sure. I hesitate to make statements about her parents, because we don't know what they have said to her or what action they have taken. These days, with what one hears about people out there, they might just not want to entrust their child to strangers. I know she's a legal adult in many ways, but maybe she's not one of the self-sufficient ones. Not everyone has the inner fortitude of a Michelle Kwan. When I was eighteen, I would have been a basket case if I had been sent out into the world on my own. College was tough enough.

I remember thinking I was a pretty mature 18 year old ... my first year in College showed otherwise. It wasn't a disaster but I made plenty of mistakes. Having all that freedom all of a sudden ... it definitely took me a while to get my act together. Who knows if for Mirai it would be good or bad but that's the whole point - who are we to know? I also agree with you that the problem is not with Frank but inside Mirai, although I bet the distance to the rink doesn't help. And yes, Frank is wise to throw the options out there but recognize that in the end it is Mirai and her family who have to decide and that in some situations it's probably best to step back and simply let them work though it, even if you might not agree with their final decision.

I just hope that whatever happens we get to see Mirai continue competing. Next year is a different year.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think we will see a new Mirai next year. With Ashley's success last night, Gracie and Agnes emerging, and of course Alissa, Mirai can no longer go into Nationals and skate "not to lose," as she has been able to in the past. Previous years it has been enough to stay on her feet, but these ladies are really going after their programs. I'm more optimistic for Mirai after 4CC just because she will have to really go after her jumps to compete so I really think that (a) we will see a much better Mirai next year or (b) she will retire.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not confident about Mirai when it comes to her jumps. The other ladies with maybe the exception of Alissa are better jumpers and that's not including the Juniors coming up. She seems to worry so much about her jumps that she skates slow and not with much energy because she wants to land them and is thinking too much instead of just skating.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1)Twitter is evil.
2) Mirai and Frank are a bad combination. Mirai needs a coaching situation that is lighter, not more stressful, even if she fails to return to her former self. I do not think she responds well to Tiger Coach. I would suggest Toronto. (I would suggest Peter and Karen if Caroline were not already with them).
3) Mirai has lost the "joy" she used to skate with, and she needs to find someone who will restore this "joy", or, she should quit and perhaps go to college etc.. While elements are obviously important, judges are human, and skaters who appear as if they are happy to be performing are generally rewarded. I do not want to watch a skater who looks stressed, nervous and unhappy. Even though Rachel is a shadow of her former self, I enjoyed her performance at Nationals, because she seemed HAPPY on the ice. (And approps of nothing, Rachel's dress was the most beautiful skating dress I've ever seen....)
Mirai had a coaching situation that was less stressful and lighter and it didn't work for her either. It was with her previous coach Charlene Wong. But Mirai left to go to someone who would push her more and was a lot tougher on her. That was Frank. Well that isn't working either. Could be her coaches are not the problem but Mirai herself is. She needs to find out what SHE wants and not what her parents or anyone else does.