What's Next For Mirai II | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What's Next For Mirai II

Jtsmith12

On the Ice
People keep saying that they hope "this" motivates Mirai or "that" motivates her. But the thing is she came in 4th at the Olympics, came in 1st in the Sp at the 2010 worlds, droped to 7th overall at those worlds, missed out on two world teams, and finished 7th at Nats, watching Caroline Zhang improve so much and finish 4th at Nats. Heck the state of U.S ladies skating should motivate her.Now if that's not motivating her than I don't know what will. I just don't think Mirai's heart is in skating anymore. Maybe she should take next season off go to college and figure out what she really wants to do. My personal opinion is think Mirai is scared of going back to worlds. People know she's the most talented American Lady and with that bring expections. How many of you thought that at nats Mirai would be on the podium ? I know I did. How may of you thought that after the sp at 2010 worlds she would be on the podium or maybe even win it ? I know I did . It seems like whenever someone expects Mirai to do well she crumbles and my guess is she's afraid of crumbling at worlds again.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sometimes it's not enough of a catalyst to just fall a bit in the standings- sometimes the bottom has to drop out for one to finally realize the status quo is not working and to seek change. I think that's just what happened to Nagasu at Nats with the 7th place (this is someone good enough to WIN the event handily!) and missing not only Worlds, but also 4CCs this time around. I mean, next season she'll have to do the qualifying circuit all over again if I'm not mistaken. For a skater of her caliber, you know, that's just...wow.

This is why I say that she must make the decision that is right for HER- and whether that's picking things back up again or quitting skating altogether, I hope she can be happy with it. But somehow I get the feeling this is not the way she wants to go out. Perhaps she has some Rachel Flatt in her somewhere.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I mean, next season she'll have to do the qualifying circuit all over again if I'm not mistaken. For a skater of her caliber, you know, that's just...wow.
That will depend on IF she gets GPs in the fall and how the dates line up to Regionals and Sectionals.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I think the bigger issue is that these suggestions require a lot of sacrifice from her and her family and provide no guarantee that her results will improve substantially. Yes, she win get more training time and perhaps better training mindset because she won't be sitting in a car for hours. But some of her problems aren't going to be resolved with a shorter commute: questionable music selection and choreography, 3/3's (which she never attempted with any regularity), and competitive fire. The question, to me, becomes: do we accept she has been surpassed by superior skaters such as Alyssa and that her days of being America's best skater are over? Or do we put more pressure on Mirai and her family to achieve results that require tremendous sacrifice but are not likely to improve her standing significantly.

Someone also brought up the fact that sending Mirai off would be like sending her to college, and it isn't exactly the same. College provides so much support through your peers, counselors, etc. while skating in a rink far from home doesn't provide nearly the intellectual enrichment or social opportunities.

I'm not saying that Mirai SHOULD go live near Frank though. She has to do whats best for her. But I think if she doesn't; she should find a coach closer to where she lives. The four hour trip just doesn't seem like the best of ideas. Getting rid of it leaves not only more time for Mirai to train; but it also leaves Mirai and (her mother if that's who drives her) more time to do other things with their lives....And as for sacrificing thats what they are already doing. But it seems to me the status quo isn't working; and they are already spending a lot of money; if your going to spend the money might as well put yourself in a situation to get the best advantage. Heck leaving Frank and going with another coach might be cheaper too.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Frank is surprisingly not as expensive as I thought. On the rink website they mention the coaching fees.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Just read about a bestseller called Tiger Mom something about being n Asian Mom. It does not sound like they want to let their little girl go. I hope Mirai remembers Plushenko moved 1,000 miles away at 10 years old. Are we talking a move from LA to Palm Springs? I don't get why they do not want to push her a little since they have sacrificed a lot of money to get her to elite level. Frank is a proven coach, and he'd make sure she was with a great family. I totally don't get this. It's time for her to go to college, or start growing up. I wonder how many sibs there are here. Is she from LA? There is always East West. Caroline is inspirational, they both are Asian, they are probabaly friends from doing shows etc.. Kwan's picture must be all over the rink with world medals. I think Mirai or her parents have blown it for her this year. She was on track for Sochi two years ago, and her training time decreased.

And I like the purple hat- a cap maybe for Romeo and Juliet. (Another silly music selection, LOL)

We miss the Mirai we know is a world champion. If she does read these threads, go for it Mirai. If you can. Blessings on you.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm not saying that Mirai SHOULD go live near Frank though. She has to do whats best for her. But I think if she doesn't; she should find a coach closer to where she lives. The four hour trip just doesn't seem like the best of ideas. Getting rid of it leaves not only more time for Mirai to train; but it also leaves Mirai and (her mother if that's who drives her) more time to do other things with their lives....And as for sacrificing thats what they are already doing. But it seems to me the status quo isn't working; and they are already spending a lot of money; if your going to spend the money might as well put yourself in a situation to get the best advantage. Heck leaving Frank and going with another coach might be cheaper too.

I agree with what you're saying. Ideally she should train near wherever she lives and this coaching situation isn't ideal. But it is what works for the Nagasu family. The mom wants Mirai to live with them, and we don't know all the reasons behind that. Certainly just because someone CAN move away from home at 18 doesn't mean they SHOULD. Frank is entitled to his opinion, but his job is to produce champions with someone as talented as Mirai, not necessarily do what is best for the Nagasu's as a family. Ten years from now, when Mirai may possibly not have any involvement with the skating community whatsoever, it's her family who will be there for her.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think Mirai or her parents have blown it for her this year.

This seems like an unfair thing to say IMO. The family bends over backwards to further her skating career. Just because they don't do EVERYthing people on this board suggest doesn't mean they are to blame. Mirai faces significantly more pressure and expectation than your typical kid who goes off to college so there is probably a lot of comfort that comes from being around your loved ones during your down time, instead of some stranger family.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I agree that the old Mirai would be right up there, but what do you consider "right up there"? I don't think she would be satisfied if she changed up her routine, costing her family tens of thousands of dollars, just to finish 4th place like Caroline. And let's remember that Caroline has improved but has not regained the difficult jump combinations that she did as a junior. So I guess what I'm saying is that, yes, if Mirai skated how she did at the 2010 Olympics on a regular basis she would be in the mix in every competition she entered. But that skater, with a different body and the right age to take advantage of the cutesy choreography that worked so well for her, is not Mirai now.

Mirai is just 18. She still has plenty of time to get her mojo back. She skated well at 4CCs last year and she is capable of skating even better than she did at the Olympics. She has not reached her full potential. Perhaps she never will but I'm not quite ready to give up on a teenager. Czisny is not a kid, nor is Kostner and they've both improved dramatically in their 20's. Mirai still has time. If she's got the drive, the heart, the desire she can do it. But she's got to want to do it. It's up to her now.

Jtsmith12

On the Ice
Someone said this to Mirai on Twitter: low blow. “@DeBausch: @mirai_nagasu How about you? You couldn't beat @RachaelFlatt Stanford+Skating!! #doubleSMH #thinkbeforeyoutweet #4CC” and than Mirai said "Too bad i used my ninja skills and flew over that insult". #bazinga
http://twitter.com/mirai_nagasu

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ that was in response to her complaining that the bottom ladies at #4CC were barely scoring 90 points- TOTAL.

(regardless of what you think of her, that is a valid point IMHO)

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Someone said this to Mirai on Twitter: low blow. “@DeBausch: @mirai_nagasu How about you? You couldn't beat @RachaelFlatt Stanford+Skating!! #doubleSMH #thinkbeforeyoutweet #4CC” and than Mirai said "Too bad i used my ninja skills and flew over that insult". #bazinga
Low blow! :eek:
^ that was in response to her complaining that the bottom ladies at #4CC were barely scoring 90 points- TOTAL.

(regardless of what you think of her, that is a valid point IMHO)

She didn't even mention Rachael for that guy to respond in such a way. Just wow.

herro

On the Ice
Well I thought it was incredibly rude of Mirai to make that kind of comment about the 4cc girls, given her recent performances.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

Well I thought it was incredibly rude of Mirai to make that kind of comment about the 4cc girls, given her recent performances.

It doesn't excuse that guy's crack about Rachael.

herro

On the Ice
It doesn't excuse that guy's crack about Rachael.

I didn't interpret that guy's comment about Rachael as an insult to Rachael. I think he was trying to say that Mirai performed more poorly than Rachael who had more limited training resources (time, etc.) than she did. Well that's my personal interpretation. Who knows what he meant. If he did mean it that way, I would side with the guy more than I would with Mirai.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

I didn't interpret that guy's comment about Rachael as an insult to Rachael. I think he was trying to say that Mirai performed more poorly than Rachael who had more limited training resources (time, etc.) than she did. Well that's my personal interpretation. Who knows what he meant. If he did mean it that way, I would side with the guy more than I would with Mirai.

I still think he could have made his point in a more mature manner without insulting Mirai by invoking Rachael's name.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

Yeah I guess so... I definitely see your point though.

Please don't think I approve of Mirai's remarks though. Perhaps it was best she kept her thoughts to herself as she is still a competitive skater-and one who failed to make the World team (again) let alone 4CCs. She may have thought twice about it-I no longer see that tweet on her sight. Peter Murray tweeted to to her that Dick Button should give her a 'spanking' for that remark.

herro

On the Ice
Please don't think I approve of Mirai's remarks though. Perhaps it was best she kept her thoughts to herself as she is still a competitive skater-and one who failed to make the World team (again) let alone 4CCs. She may have thought twice about it-I no longer see that tweet on her sight. Peter Murray tweeted to to her that Dick Button should give her a 'spanking' for that remark.

Yea. Ugh I wish Mirai would just deliver... although that spanking comment made me laugh.