MEN - Short Program | Page 9 | Golden Skate

MEN - Short Program

gold12345

Medalist
The horrible Nationals SP plus the short notice he had about competing here may have just been too much for Dornbush. I wouldn't be surprised if he was kind of lacking confidence here.

Gudrun

Rinkside
Dai doesn't play safe, he never does. He skates the way he likes to skate on a particular day ... he doesn't know for sure what he will do before he goes on the ice ... but I'm sure he'll show us a nice performance :))

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The horrible Nationals SP plus the short notice he had about competing here may have just been too much for Dornbush. I wouldn't be surprised if he was kind of lacking confidence here.

And surely, he probably felt some pressure because he knew there was some leapfrogging to get him to the competition.
I admire Dornbush but I think the USFSA probably should have not sent him. I got the feeling that Richard was ready to regroup for next season.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Dai doesn't play safe, he never does. He skates the way he likes to skate on a particular day ... he doesn't know for sure what he will do before he goes on the ice ... but I'm sure he'll show us a nice performance :))

Yep, I heard that the 4-3 Daisuke did at Japanese Nats was sort of decided on the fly as well...apparently even his coach didn't know that he was going to go for the 4-3.

jaylee

Medalist
The judges seem to like Richard somewhat. While he's way down there in TES (10th as of right now) he was 5th in PCS.

Well, he has a bit of homefield advantage (always a nice little boost), plus he skated in the second to last group. PCS always goes up in the later groups. Is it because they are better skaters and deserve higher components, or is it because judges expect to see better skating and are more willing to give out higher components? Combination of both?

The judges seem to like Richard somewhat. While he's way down there in TES (10th as of right now) he was 5th in PCS.
Well, his spins were great.

I think Doris jinxed him with her talk about what a horrible SP skater he is. (J/K!)

Gudrun

Rinkside
Yep, I heard that the 4-3 Daisuke did at Japanese Nats was sort of decided on the fly as well...apparently even his coach didn't know that he was going to go for the 4-3.

Yes, it must feel right for Dai ... but he's getting stronger and stronger on the ice, it's really incredible what this man can do :)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Ross was great, so happy for him. Machida was on tonight. Poor Ricky I hope he does better in the FS.
GO Dai!!!!

Nadine

Record Breaker
Excuses, excuses, excuses...

Real champions will almost always rise to the occasion, not choke, look at Evgeni Plushenko at 2012 Europeans, skating on one leg practically, yet at the age of 29 he managed to land all his jumps and win! :love:

No excuses for Ricky, or anybody else.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Sorry, but I just can't get into Ricky Dornbush, he reminds me too much of Timothy Goebel (without the quads) and hunch back. And I just noticed he fell on one of his jumps and maybe doubled another.

Still, I have no real complaint of him being sent here because imho the only real world class guy the USA has is Jeremy Abbott ~ huge chasm ~ then Adam Rippon, and to a lesser extent Ross Miner.

:laugh: Ah, and I bet Canada would be quite happy to have half the singles men and ladies skaters we have in the U.S. But, oh, I forgot, Patrick Chan 's talent more than makes up for at least half of our skaters, plus the rest of the best in the World as well, at least according to fs judges and powers that be apparently.

Patrick Chan ----- huuuuge chasm; another huuuuge chasm... no matter what country we are talking about, eh? :laugh:

jettasian

Match Penalty
Could be stingy....I thought Chan could score some 9s, but around mid 8 in everything...so not sure since I didn't see the skate.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Could be stingy....I thought Chan could score some 9s, but around mid 8 in everything...so not sure since I didn't see the skate.

I didn't see the skate either. But nobody got any generous PCS marks tonight. A few I feel kind of low from the way I know they usually skate.

Go Kevin go!