MEN - Short Program | Page 14 | Golden Skate

MEN - Short Program

megrin

Rinkside
If anyone finds Misha Ge's performance, please please let me know! Daisuke's performance should be aired later, but I doubt if Misha's SP would be aired.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I was hoping Daisuke and Chan would be closer but I understand the difference if Daisuke UR the 4T, plus the fall. The scores overall are a bit inflated compared to Euros SP. I hope the men will bring their A game in the LP. just like in the GPF.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Wow Ross Miner is the highest ranking American right now in this competition. Somehow, I think Miner is going to slow-and-steady route to domination....Am I crazy for thinking this?

All he needs is to learn how to fall down on a quad, and he's there ;) This wasn't a good night for landing clean quads on the whole.

Nor was it a good night for Ricky Dornbush. Chris Caluza was robbed!

Tomorrow will be interesting because at altitude, it's really an endurance race. It will be interesting to see which skaters are really in condition and don't fold by the end of the program. Ross looked OK at the end of the SP. I'm hoping he will be able to pull up a spot or two.

Last edited:

skatinginbc

Medalist
I agree with the Universal Sports commentator that Dai had a better performance than Chan did. "That to me should win," said the commentator, "because his (Dai's) use of space when it comes down the way he performed and the way he used his body in spite of the fall--I understand they are going to take the points off that, so the technical element score is one thing, but still on top of that, it was more, it had excitement, it really fired, it didn't let down at all, and that's what I'm looking at." After the score showed up. He turned almost speechless: "Wow, er, the presentation score, er, 41.95, er, far below."

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
Sorry, I imagine that you might be turning pea-green if you know that Patrick has the highest PCS of the night (42.22). Dai has the second highest PCS (41.95). The only category in PCS that Dai got higher than Patrick was PE. Patrick's PE was 8.32. Dai's was 8.39.:biggrin:

I'm just wondering: Have you watched their SP performances yet? I haven't. So I can't judge them.

Yes, definitely, I watched the actual performances before commenting on them. No turning pea-green by this point. It's matter-of-fact that Pat will always be given highest scores in practically every category. But the way they didn't show Pat's fall on slo-mo, but made sure to highlight Adam's fall -- and also took no deductions for Pat (did he even get -GOE?). Dai definitely should have scored higher point total than he was given for his sp, and Dai IMO has better musicality and presentation than Patrick. Well, I guess Pat is on home ground here. PChid has the best of all worlds.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I agree with the Universal Sports commentator that Dai had a better performance than Chan did. "That to me should win," said the commentator, "because his (Dai's) use of space when it comes down the way he performed and the way he used his body in spite of the fall--I understand they are going to take the points off that, so the technical element score is one thing, but still on top of that, it was more, it had excitement, it really fired, it didn't let down at all, and that's what I'm looking at." After the score showed up. He turned almost speechless: "Wow, er, the presentation score, er, 41.95, er, far below."

You may agree with him but that's not how the program is scored. I listened to him and I'm speechless at his cluelessness. He completely ignored the noticeable UR and he called the PCS "presentation" marks, clearly as the deciding factor for the win. He obviously still lives in the 6.0 era. I'm amazed at how American commentators rally the public to boycott the system and the sport with their comments. Good job, by the look of the empty $9 seats.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I thou8ght Misha Gee in the past was actualy skating for Chia, obviously I was wrong!
Wow Mura :eek: I suppose he is not going to worlds :( , japan needs an exception for Nice, even without Oda it is insane how many could be going.
Daisuke :points:, the drama in his face, I love this program.Costume perfect! And his triple axels:rock:

Thanx for vids!

I didnt know 4cc has so few countries participating.

Artistry

On the Ice
The commentator expressed his informed opinion and emotional response. That's the job of a commentator. He doesn't live in the 6.0 era, he lives in the moment. Clearly, the moment, and indeed, the presentation, belonged to Dai this night, and the 2nd mark (is it ok with you if I call it that?) should have been higher than Chan, not lower. It's frustrating to see this on a consistent basis with one skater - if it does not reflect what happens on the ice.
Plus, pcs should have been down just for a lackluster performance, not to mention the ugly "non-fall".

wallylutz

Medalist
Clearly, the moment, and indeed, the presentation, belonged to Dai this night, and the 2nd mark (is it ok with you if I call it that?) should have been higher than Chan, not lower. It's frustrating to see this on a consistent basis with one skater - if it does not reflect what happens on the ice.
Plus, pcs should have been down just for a lackluster performance, not to mention the ugly "non-fall".

Nothing you have said justified your opinion. All we can read is your emotions and nothing but that with no rationalization. Why should it have been higher? You see, without rationalization, it's impossible to have a discussion and the 2nd mark is not an emotional response like you or the Universal sports commentator mistakenly thought it is because at least 40% of it is in fact a 2nd set of technical marks.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Nothing you have said justified your opinion. All we can read is your emotions and nothing but that with no rationalization. Why should it have been higher? You see, without rationalization, it's impossible to have a discussion and the 2nd mark is not an emotional response like you or the Universal sports commentator mistakenly thought it is because at least 40% of it is in fact a 2nd set of technical marks.

Presentation - Interpretation

It is first Daisuke and some km further the rest...
---

I saw PChan sp, he looks off from the starting position, is he sick or something?Other than that great skate but I still believe this sp has already being skated to the highest potential and needed to go earlier.
Btw, this is not his concern or fault but he should have had a fall deduction, because it was a fall, his body weight is transferred to both his hands and he needed the push to get straight up, I dont know in which side of the planet it doesnt look like a fall, cause on this side it is one.
Unexplicable like the non deduction in amodio lyrics last year.

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
I saw PChan sp, he looks off from the starting position, is he sick or something?Other than that great skate but I still believe this sp has already being skated to the highest potential and needed to go earlier.
Btw, this is not his concern or fault but he should have had a fall deduction, because it was a fall, his body weight is transferred to both his hands and he needed the push to get straight up, I dont know in which side of the planet it doesnt look like a fall, cause on this side it is one.
Unexplicable like the non deduction in amodio lyrics last year.

That's your opinion, not the universal truth. I do not disagree with your take but remember there are 3 people in the Technical panel and a different person may have a different take. Plus, these people are actually at the rink, thus they may see things more clearly live than judging based on a video clip from one angle. I think you need to give the panel of 3 people the benefits of the doubt since you are clearly not there in person.

As for Amodio's lyric deduction (or lack of), for the nth time, it was not taken because a majority of judges didn't vote to take a deduction. The former is decided by the majority of the Tech Panel and the latter, majority of judges, please try not to confuse the issue here and attempt to compare an apple with an orange.

Last edited: