MEN - Short Program | Page 19 | Golden Skate

MEN - Short Program

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Five point lead can be made up with a strong FS no doubt.

The lead, in my view, is fairly represented in the TES: I think Patrick's lead reflects solid +GOE on the transitions into his elements, including the flawed quad. Daisuke left some points on the table with a UR on the quad, less GOE on combo and a level 2 spin.

As for PCS, I'm OK with it being about even. Probably Dai has solid performance, choreography, and interpretation while Patrick is strong in skating skills and transitions. I agree it wasn't the best performance ever by either, so 8s seem about right. (I think some stellar performances would the average in the 9s.

evangeline

Record Breaker
It's almost incredible, though I shouldn't be surprised, that the focus of arguments is on Chan's fall, even when there wasn't one while Dai had a a butt on the ice fall. When Chan falls, his PCS should severely reflect poor skating skills and serious interruption of the performance. When Dai falls, accolades pour in declaring the skate the the most exciting and heart appealing performance deserving the highest PCS possible. And he does receive high PCS at all his competitions, regardless of how many times he falls.

How is your first statement incredible?

Daisuke had something that looked suspiciously like a fall. It was declared a fall by the tech panel. Nobody disagrees.

Patrick had something that looked suspiciously like a fall. It was not declared a fall by the tech panel. Well, some people disagree about this, and so there is discussion. I fail to see how this counts as a double standard. And Patrick is not the only one to receive this kind of scrutiny when it comes to a tech panel call like this. IIRC, Sasha Cohen's 2006 Olympic LP also had an element that looked suspiciously like a fall (her second jumping pass, I believe), but it was not declared as such by the panel. On this board or another (I can't exactly remember) there was a lot of grumbling and debate about this as well, especially since Sasha won the silver medal.

As for your second point, straw man. I see no such accolades for Daisuke here. Saying that he deserved higher PCS than Patrick when BOTH had similar errors =/= saying that his was the "most exciting and heart appealing performance deserving the highest PCS possible"

seniorita

Record Breaker
Oh, that's unfair to Abbott! He doesn't want to look scared or terrifying. He wants to show his true enjoyment in skating which he really truly does. I do not agree to add such bullet point anywhere. It cannot cover all kinds of music and emotions. It can only represent for certain themes. "Look like fun" has such narrow range in terms of music choosing and programing.

When Abott skates to his potential he looks great, that was my point, when he skates with no confidence it shows all over. I spoke in jest but I meant they are enjoying being there, they like competing, they dont look scared or business as usual. Not that they jump up side down from joy. Best example: Yuna Worlds 2009 sp and Yuna TEB 2009 sp.

I m sorry this whole debate takes away what Mura did, 4-3, +Goe all over but lower pcs, in any case he was amazing.

And I didnt know Australia had a Fernadez too!:rock:

skatinginbc

Medalist
I have some questions: (1) Has anyone seen slow-motion footage of Patrick's 4T in that event? (2) If not, could it be possible that such footage is non-existent (e.g., poorly trained camera technician or unexpected technical difficulty) and therefore the technical panel had no way to review that particular element? I'm thinking: The panel might have judged it based on what they saw at first sight rather than on review.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
On this board or another (I can't exactly remember) there was a lot of grumbling and debate about this as well, especially since Sasha won the silver medal.

I think that, unless you were on SashaFans, every board discussed the almost fall ad nauseum.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I have some questions: (1) Has anyone seen slow-motion footage of Patrick's 4T in that event? (2) If not, could it be possible that such footage is non-existent (e.g., poorly trained camera technician or unexpected technical difficulty) and therefore the technical panel had no way to review that particular element? I'm thinking: The panel might have judged it based on what they saw at first sight rather than on review.

I was under the impression that the tech panel has different footage from the stuff that's shown on TV/audience feeds, and more of it too, from different angles and such. But I could be wrong.

I think that, unless you were on SashaFans, every board discussed the almost fall ad nauseum.

LOL. As a Michelle fan, the SashaFans board is a place where I dare not tread!

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I've just watched Mura and Machida's SPs. Impressed with Mura's technical ability. But, boy, he really has a badly choreographed program! What he was doing on ice had little to do with the music he skated to. No wonder he got such low PCS. I'm much more impressed with Machida's over all abilities. I like him very much. He has a trace of Kozuka in his movement but more open and energetic.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Misha Ge's costume reminds me of the movie Billy Elliot in final scenes where Billy is dancing to Swan Lake, I think?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Five point lead can be made up with a strong FS no doubt.

Not against Patrick Chan, with the way he gets scored. Takahashi needs to beat Patrick by 5.36 points in the LP in order to win this competition. That will never happen, unless Patrick suddenly pops jumps.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I've just watched Mura and Machida's SPs. Impressed with Mura's technical ability. But, boy, he really has a badly choreographed program! What he was doing on ice had little to do with the music he skated to. No wonder he got such low PCS. I'm much more impressed with Machida's over all abilities. I like him very much. He has a trace of Kozuka in his movement but more open and energetic.

I agree with your assessment of Mura and Machida! Really liked Machida's spark, but Mura's flaily-flaily Zamboni step sequence in his SP was especially like a compendium of every blah music-unrelated CoP step sequence ever.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Not against Patrick Chan, with the way he gets scored. Takahashi needs to beat Patrick by 5.36 points in the LP in order to win this competition. That will never happen, unless Patrick suddenly pops jumps.

Never say never, they say.

Onward to the FS tonight!

waltzjump

Rinkside
At 2007 Grand Prix Final Stéphane Lambiel had a similar touch-down with both hands on his triple axel, and he didn't get a fall deduction too. The runner-up was Daisuke Takahashi. The difference in total scores was less than one point, so, had the panel called the fall, Daisuke would have won.
Inconsistent tech panels are nothing new.

I don't like the way men's skating turned. By now there are more mistakes than in ladies. How many good short programs this season, so far? Europeans short was a mess, GPF very disappointng. A bit better for long programs, maybe.
It's awkard. So much talent, and a lot of unsatisfying performances.