Ladies' Short Program, Fri. 2/10 at 2:50 pm EST | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Ladies' Short Program, Fri. 2/10 at 2:50 pm EST

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I wonder if she did 3A and then 3F-3R, what would her solo triple be? Triple toe? She can do steps right before the toe jump with good GOE.

jaylee

Medalist
Kanako always had the blazing speed, without seeming to get much of a boost in the PCS internationally. I think the judges may prefer the speed with a bit more refined stroking.

I could understand that, but I still would've had her first here, followed by Ashley, then Mao.

Really impressed with Ashley's performance. Loved the arm movements during her final spread eagle, and great attempt at a 3/3--could be better, but at least she got it ratified.

pista04

On the Ice
Can't help but think what if Alissa had been here........The US could have very easily had two ladies in the top 3.

treeloving

Medalist
I disagree--I think Kanako got lowballed on PCS. Her speed was the top of all the ladies skaters, just phenomenal and it should have been rewarded. I didn't think there was anything especially lacking in Mao's or Ashley's speed, but when Kanako came on, she just flew. Skating at that speed is VERY difficult.

I haven't watch the video yet, but one thing I always notice is that Kanako has high speed because she always bend her back when she skate, may be that why she was not rewarded.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
wow. surprised by Ashely but deserved her place, she could peak at Worlds or next season
I would have had her PCS above Mao, love the arm movements and Mao was good not up to her very best
Zawadzki I was expecting that and poor Kanako undermarked.

looks like the Top 3 are clear

Last edited:

skatingfan04

Final Flight
:bang: Cynthia managed to be a complete disaster yet again. Honestly, Amelie better get that spot. Even with the pop, she out skated Cynthia tonight, as she has been all season (and part of last season). I think it's rediculous that this poor girl has to fight for a spot that she has rightfully earned over and over again.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Cynthia is a better skater, in terms of artistry and such, but she's proven time and time again this season that she can't keep it together when it comes to the jumps. There's a limit to the number of second chances she should be getting.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
:bang: Cynthia managed to be a complete disaster yet again. Honestly, Amelie better get that spot. Even with the pop, she out skated Cynthia tonight, as she has been all season (and part of last season). I think it's rediculous that this poor girl has to fight for a spot that she has rightfully earned over and over again.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Cynthia is a better skater, in terms of artistry and such, but she's proven time and time again this season that she can't keep it together when it comes to the jumps. There's a limit to the number of second chances she should be getting.

ikr, and what if Amelie outskates her again here, they'll assign them both to another competition to battle it out again? and another one ? until Phanuef defeats Lacoste. ridiculous
I would really be pissed by that time if I was Amelie, she could say that bluntly to her fed what they want.

claphappy

On the Ice

This is exactly how I feel (except I really don't have an opinion on either of them when it comes to artistry.)

tampro1

Rinkside
This one spot may determine the number of Canadian entries for the Olympics and I think Skate Canada has more faith in Phaneuf at her best or close to it but she's had problems all this season, prompting her to leave her long time coach to move to Toronto to train with Orser 6 weeks before the Nationals. Then she lost to Amelie due mainly to messing up the first jump of the SP combo. Skate Canada is basically in a dilemma and hoping for a clearer winner, especially in an International situation.

Maybe Canada should pic their team on results, not potential. That might make Phaneuf clean up her skating, toughen up and just plain skate better! Must be demoralizing for their National Champ who has defeated Phaneuf every time this year. Officials/experts seem to never let sport just play out.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Maybe Canada should pic their team on results, not potential. That might make Phaneuf clean up her skating, toughen up and just plain skate better! Must be demoralizing for their National Champ who has defeated Phaneuf every time this year. Officials/experts seem to never let sport just play out.

The thing is Amelie Lacoste has not exactly been shining, just better than Phaneuf recently. Phaneuf does have some good records, more experienced and liked by judges internationally. She also showed determination by leaving her mother figure of a coach recently and moved away from her comfort zone to Toronto to train with Orser, who is known for turning around some talents fast, almost miraculously but not that miraculouslly as to do it in weeks. At least Skate Canada didn't just pick her over Lacoste but is giving them both another chance to outshine the other convincingly. It's down to the wire tomorrow. They will have to make a decision, however difficult.

Of course there are down sides to this process, being criticized and hurting the two skaters' relationship and national team spirit among them. OTOH, the USFSA's system, last year and this, does not make any better sense or prove to serve them well.

lise

On the Ice
ikr, and what if Amelie outskates her again here, they'll assign them both to another competition to battle it out again? and another one ? until Phanuef defeats Lacoste. ridiculous
I would really be pissed by that time if I was Amelie, she could say that bluntly to her fed what they want.

Right, because even with her disaster of a skate, Cynthia still is .96 away from Amelie who missed her lutz combo all together. This speaks volumes to SC because it does show that the judges prefer Cynthia over Amelie. After watching both skaters, I still say send Cynthia. By the time Worlds rolls around. she will be better; it's been a short 8 weeks with Brian. If I were Amelie, I'd be ticked that Cynthia is that close in score even missing 2 jumps. At least Cynthia rotated the jumps fully and this time her spins were credited at a higher level than at Nats; because had her spins been credited at Nats, she would be the national champion.

I've been told by various sources tonight that SC really wants to send Cynthia to worlds as she is a safer bet; i can see why. As well, if Joannie comes back next season, which is a strong possibility, by that time Cynthia will be getting better results and may be even able to send 3 ladies to the Olympics, however, if Cynthia can't manage top 10 at Worlds this year, then I can see SC giving the spot to Joannie to regain the spots needed for the Olympics.

In my opinion, neither skated great tonight and by no means did Amelie really beat Cynthia i the short; they are virtually tied. The long will be a nail biter to say the least as they skate 1 right after the other. If Cynthia skates her long like she did at Nats, she will beat Amelie.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I said if. I understand why they want Phanuef as they think she is more experienced and has a better record internationally but the long hopefully will determine and will be the last one. If Lacoste Wins, hope she doesnt have to battle Phanuef again in some B competitions

tampro1

Rinkside
Right, because even with her disaster of a skate, Cynthia still is .96 away from Amelie who missed her lutz combo all together. This speaks volumes to SC because it does show that the judges prefer Cynthia over Amelie. After watching both skaters, I still say send Cynthia. By the time Worlds rolls around. she will be better; it's been a short 8 weeks with Brian. If I were Amelie, I'd be ticked that Cynthia is that close in score even missing 2 jumps. At least Cynthia rotated the jumps fully and this time her spins were credited at a higher level than at Nats; because had her spins been credited at Nats, she would be the national champion.

I've been told by various sources tonight that SC really wants to send Cynthia to worlds as she is a safer bet; i can see why. As well, if Joannie comes back next season, which is a strong possibility, by that time Cynthia will be getting better results and may be even able to send 3 ladies to the Olympics, however, if Cynthia can't manage top 10 at Worlds this year, then I can see SC giving the spot to Joannie to regain the spots needed for the Olympics.

In my opinion, neither skated great tonight and by no means did Amelie really beat Cynthia i the short; they are virtually tied. The long will be a nail biter to say the least as they skate 1 right after the other. If Cynthia skates her long like she did at Nats, she will beat Amelie.

No one is questioning who the judges prefer. But Cynthia has yet to beat Amelie this season. Poor Amelie...she thinks this is a sport. Sorry girl, it's not about what happens on the ice. :laugh:

I agree with Tempro1. Win or go home. This is making Skate Canada look like the French Federation.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I agree with Tempro1. Win or go home. This is making Skate Canada look like the French Federation.

I thought FF does what Russia does too, send the iffy skaters to Euros and the best goes to Worlds or Olys?Or no?
I remember only some drama in 2010 where they prediceded to send Ponsero to Euros and Amodio to Olympic Games.
On second thought that looks like Cyntia's and Lacoste situation, maybe I m just used to RF and FF deciding this way and the skaters know it too.

Right, because even with her disaster of a skate, Cynthia still is .96 away from Amelie who missed her lutz combo all together. This speaks volumes to SC because it does show that the judges prefer Cynthia over Amelie. After watching both skaters, I still say send Cynthia. By the time Worlds rolls around. she will be better; it's been a short 8 weeks with Brian. If I were Amelie, I'd be ticked that Cynthia is that close in score even missing 2 jumps.

That's what I thought at first, but then I remembered that popping is WORSE than falling.

For her 2a and solo triple, Amelie received 3.94 + .3 = 4.24
For her 2a and solo triple, Cynthia received 1.8 + 3.9 = 5.70

Cynthia's TES was .72 higher than Amelie's. She actually had a 4.7 advantage in base value, but had more -GOE. Cynthia's PCS advantage was only .32.

I like Amelie's skating, I hope she wins her spot - AGAIN - and has a great time at Worlds, with great skates. I do hope if she goes, someone prevails on her to switch her lutz for a 3sal or 3toe in the SP. She's not going to get high PCS ANYWAY (thank you Skate Canada, for heaps of scorn all season long), so she might as well attempt easier skills that she can do well.