Ladies' Short Program, Fri. 2/10 at 2:50 pm EST | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Ladies' Short Program, Fri. 2/10 at 2:50 pm EST

Nadine

Record Breaker
Since there's no thread for the Ladies FP tonight, I put my question here, thanks for anybody's answer in advance, much much appreciated by me: :)

I'm worried about the ladies, which start at 6PM PST (I won't be here until around 7-7:30PM). I don't mind missing the first two groups, but when will the last two groups begin for ladies tonight? There are 24 competitors all together. Hmm... :think: :confused2:

MissCleo

On the Ice
Since there's no thread for the Ladies FP tonight, I put my question here, thanks for anybody's answer in advance, much much appreciated by me: :)

I'm worried about the ladies, which start at 6PM PST (I won't be here until around 7-7:30PM). I don't mind missing the first two groups, but when will the last two groups begin for ladies tonight? There are 24 competitors all together. Hmm... :think: :confused2:

here's a link to the time schedule, i'm bad at time conversions so...
http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc2012/fc2012_Ladies_FS_TimeSchedule.pdf

burntBREAD

Medalist
Which error? Base value for 3F/3T is 9.40 and her score was 9.60.

She two-footed the 3T, she even stated that she did in her press conference. However, the judges seemed not to really notice. It was a great performance otherwise though, and two footing a 3-3 is still better (in most cases) than a 3-2.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
What sets Mao apart is artistry, line, beautiful positions, extension, lightness, lovely flow, musical movement. It's not that she has the most speed or best edges or most powerful stroking. It's her presentation and artistry that's exceptional, and she doesn't get enough credit for it IMO.

It's not that she doesn't get credit for it; it's that the system doesn't reward it - see Bobrova/Soloviev's PCS, for example, which are much higher despite many issues.

If Skate Canada would be smart, in their choice for the only spot to the world. They should think about sending the only Canadian who has never pop this season and has been sensational this year.

Skate Canada should send Kaetlyn Osmond instead of Phaneuf and Lacoste.

Osmond didn't meet the required minimum, so she wouldn't be eligible.

evangeline

Record Breaker
It's not that she doesn't get credit for it; it's that the system doesn't reward it - see Bobrova/Soloviev's PCS, for example, which are much higher despite many issues.

Actually, the system theoretically does reward those qualities (of course, that's not the same as saying the judges reward those qualities):

artistry, musical movement = "Expression of the music’s style, character, and rhythm," "Use of finesse to reflect the nuances of music," "Physical, emotional, and intellectual involvement," etc (IN, PE)

line, beautiful positions, extension = "Carriage," "Clarity of movement," etc (PE)

lightness, lovely flow = "Flow and effortless glide" (SS)

....but the less said about B/S's PCS, the better. As for Mao, I think she just needs to build up her consistency and reputation again (e.g. win Worlds), and get better choreography (i.e. ditch Tarasova) to see the PCS rise.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Fair enough, evangeline. I don't think the system rewards it enough to widen the PCS gap the way that people are hoping for.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
re: Asada

Well, for a long time, she WASN'T the best skating skills skater of the field. When she was with Tarasova, Kim and Rochette both eclipsed her there (Kostner has been ahead of her for quite some time). Having seen her and no one else at 4CC, I'd say her scores were fair.

I don't believe Rochette ever eclipsed Asada in skating skills. Mao's ability to change edge and direction and the turns she was able to do were always better than Rochette. Just compare their footwork sequences; Asada moved more effortlessly and she can do pieces of footwork that no other female in the World can. Mao's speed became worse under Tarasova, particularly during the 2009-2010 season, but I wouldn't say that ever dipped below Rochette either. Rochette perhaps used deeper edges in her stroking but regardless she still couldn't gain speed faster.

This season Asada's skating skills seem to be at their worst ever. The combination of trying to rebuild her technique and her mom's health issues have almost surely made it very difficult for her to focus and she's probably overthinking things that used to come naturally. I would say her basics are still the best in this competition but not by much. I'm fine with her leading the SP because Wagner got too much credit for the flawed 3-3 attempt and neither Wagner nor Murakami were magical in their performances. They should all be within a point of each other regardless of the order and they are.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Fair enough, evangeline. I don't think the system rewards it enough to widen the PCS gap the way that people are hoping for.

Tru dat. And I guess we all know by now that almost all categories of PCS mysteriously track the SS score, so it really doesn't matter anyway...

periperi

On the Ice
I don't believe Rochette ever eclipsed Asada in skating skills. Mao's ability to change edge and direction and the turns she was able to do were always better than Rochette. Just compare their footwork sequences; Asada moved more effortlessly and she can do pieces of footwork that no other female in the World can. Mao's speed became worse under Tarasova, particularly during the 2009-2010 season, but I wouldn't say that ever dipped below Rochette either. Rochette perhaps used deeper edges in her stroking but regardless she still couldn't gain speed faster.

This season Asada's skating skills seem to be at their worst ever. The combination of trying to rebuild her technique and her mom's health issues have almost surely made it very difficult for her to focus and she's probably overthinking things that used to come naturally. I would say her basics are still the best in this competition but not by much. I'm fine with her leading the SP because Wagner got too much credit for the flawed 3-3 attempt and neither Wagner nor Murakami were magical in their performances. They should all be within a point of each other regardless of the order and they are.

Completely disagree with this. Rochette was definitely way ahead of Asada in skating skills when they both competed. Rochette had better stroking, her blades are perfectly placed on the ice (notice how her arms barely move during her stroking), had deeper edges and was much faster and could definitely gain speed better. Asada used to drag her feet during her crossovers which I feel was what slowed her down so much. Her edges during her time with Tarasova also weren't as deep as they were when she was a junior and when she was under Rafael. It didn't really hit me until I saw a fancam on youtube how slow she was (you could see the entire ice rink so speed and ice coverage of the skaters in those vids was something you couldn't ignore) as out of all the girls I compared her to, she was easily one of the slowest there (it was the 4CC before the Olys).

That isn't true of Mao now though. Under Nobuo Sato she no longer drags her feet during her crossovers and her edges have never been deeper. Her skating skills as a whole have never been better in my eyes. I've read from several people who have seen her recently how impressed they are with her speed as of late. I simply don't see how you came to the conclusion that her basics are at their worst ever.

Last edited: