Ladies' Short Program, Fri. 2/10 at 2:50 pm EST | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ladies' Short Program, Fri. 2/10 at 2:50 pm EST

emma

Record Breaker
Totally impressed with both...I was particularly impressed with Kanako's centering of her spins...seemed spot on and fast to me.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Haruka botches it. *sadtrombone* Made almost every awful mistake she could've.

If I were a judge, I might've had Murakami higher. But I can see the case for her PCS. For all her speed, her stroking and movement is still pretty rough. Ashley, on the other hand, skated with command and possibly more speed than she has in the past.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
i'm hoping Cynthia skates great today! Keeping fingers crossed!!

Chances are she will, at least better than Amelie. They are both very determined, but Amelie's goal was to be the Canadian Champion, taking the trip to Worlds for granted, whereas Phaneuf's mind has been firmly on the World Championships, taking Canadian title for granted. Most likely they will both get their wishes. That's how our minds usually work. Be careful what you wish for.

I'll observe with keen interest.

lise

On the Ice
Thanks Skate Figuring! I like both Amelie and Cynthi, but prefer Cynthia because she really does draw people in.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Ashley was great! Exactly what she needed to do here. She's never been scored that high and to be so close to Mao is great. Hopefully she can keep this up in the long, I'm worried with the altitude but I guess everyone will have that challenge as well. She skated like the US Champ and she got the score to show for it. Great job!

I thought Ashley also had great command of the ice. Never had been a fan before, but she could just change my mind.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Lol I'm sooo happy for Ashley I feel like crying & singing & dancing with joy and wild abandon! :party2:

Seriously, I've always said I felt she should've won 2008 Nationals (the best Nationals ever for Ladies imho; everybody skated their best & Mirai won). I just love everything she does, she's got it all, spins, jumps, artistry, presentation, speed, total command & confidence now (her hands didn't shake once!).

My favorite program of Ashley's though is the "Somewhere in Time" one by Rachmaninoff "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini"....ahhh....choreography, costume, everything just exquisite. If she ever reprises an old program I wish it to be this one. :love:

This makes up for the horrible dream I had this morning about G&S and Rockne getting into a plane crash (most likely due to my having watched "Final Destination" several nights ago).

:cool:GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AGNES & CAROLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rock:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thanks Skate Figuring! I like both Amelie and Cynthi, but prefer Cynthia because she really does draw people in.

I wasn't making a promise. :laugh: But that's how it usually works out, sometimes in a convoluted way. However, timing is tricky. We'll have to see how it plays out, whether they both get the results of their determined effort and wishes this year.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
:disapp: Skate fans are just as prone to prejudging skaters based on their past performances. Ashley was great. Better than ever. I'd still have given it to Kanako, but I'm not a trained judge and I'm not there in person.

evangeline

Record Breaker
One judge out of 9 is from USA. Hardly conducive to controlling the kitchen, unless you subscribe to conspiracy theory.

No, I was referring to hometown (ish) girl skating, large enthusiastic audience response, subconsciously influencing judges to mark higher (e.g. Alissa Czisny at Skate America 2011). Although perhaps home cooking is the incorrect term--home ice advantage is the right one, I think? That's what it's called in hockey, at least.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I didn't care so much for Mao's performance today, with her arm movements somewhat unnatural and rushed at times. Really like Murakami. So glad she recovered from her medical conditions yesterday and was able to put on a great performance. :thumbsup: