Men's LP | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Men's LP

tampro1

Rinkside
Congrate to Ross!

I can't wait for the vid of the Philippine guy

Christopher Coluza skated well. I'm glad he's skating for the Philippines. Even though he was kinda robbed in the SP. He really skated did himself proud in the LP. He would never beat Dornbush skating for the US. I loved his expression when his scores came up.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Even Patrick (who trains there and is very well conditioned), as he himself pointed out, said that he was out of breath like most people after competing. I wonder if there is a ventilation problem in the arena tonight. Or perhaps the ventilation problem was already there, but got exacerbated by audience number (which is the highest so far in this 4CC). I really hope the organizers/arena operators look into it.

Protocols are out! http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc2012/fc2012_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

Daisuke did not get an UR call on his 4T (and it did look clean to me on replay, but it was really tough to tell with the two-footing messing it up). He did get an UR call on his 3A, however. Daisuke also managed to escape the edge call he sometimes gets on the lutz.

Adam got an outright downgrade on his 4S, ouch! Add the -1 from the fall on top of everything else, the entire move was worth 1.10 points.

Ross Miner got an edge call on his 3flip. This seems new to me. I am suspicious, and will have to check the tapes later.

Dornbush didn't even manage to fall on a quad. His planned quad turned into a 3toe, and he fell on that.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Protocols are up.

1. Chan decimated the field. His BV dwarfed everyone else's TES, so basically all those positive GOEs he got (on everything but the second lutz) were just gravy. He got a level four for the footwork - the first time in an LP since including two quads. One 10 in PCS (interpretation). And he left points on the table by omitting a third combination.

2. Dai actually beat Chan on GOEs for the levelled footwork, but fell behind on everything else.

3. Misha Ge actually outscored Chan on the choreographed step sequence. Basically, making a lot of faces worked. But over half the positive GOE he earned was based on that one element.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Takahashi looks pretty weak to me now. If Abbott skates as well as he did at Nationals he should easily beat Takahashi for the silver at Worlds IMO.

tampro1

Rinkside
Don't get me wrong...I'm an Adam Rippon fan. But he really needs more speed and freedom. He skates cautiously. Maybe that's the way he's being coached to make his jumps more secure? I thought he'd be faster when I saw him in person at US Nationals. But nope, he skates slow and has small jumps. I was in the 7th row and could literally see his facial expressions going into his jumps. He was totally thinking rather than just being free and letting it rip. I still enjoyed his skating.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Misha Ge actually outscored Chan on the choreographed step sequence. Basically, making a lot of faces worked. But over half the positive GOE he earned was based on that one element.

:eek::rofl:

But really, I found Misha Ge's head-and-arms-flinging extremely problematic. To begin with, he did it nonstop throughout both step sequences. There were no dynamics, no buildup, no tension, no finesse, no art and no musicality to it. After the first few beats, the rest of the flailing failed to express anything other than a lack of imagination and the paranoia that anyone might have missed his initial conniption. It was outright vulgar. That the judges chose to reward it is worrying. I hope this doesn't become a trend, though I rather suspect it will.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Protocols are up.

1. Chan decimated the field. His BV dwarfed everyone else's TES, so basically all those positive GOEs he got (on everything but the second lutz) were just gravy. He got a level four for the footwork - the first time in an LP since including two quads. One 10 in PCS (interpretation). And he left points on the table by omitting a third combination.

2. Dai actually beat Chan on GOEs for the levelled footwork, but fell behind on everything else.

3. Misha Ge actually outscored Chan on the choreographed step sequence. Basically, making a lot of faces worked. But over half the positive GOE he earned was based on that one element.

I think Patrick's problem is that his program is full of footwork like moves that the judges might have difficulty to see where the footwork sequence begins or end:)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Hey, I like Ross and have since last season when all the newcomer talk was of Dornbush. Go Miner! Congrats!

Ross definitely should have won the Silver at Nationals last year and placed much higher at Worlds. He was better than Dornbush on both occasions, ESPECIALLY at Worlds. It's too bad that his Long Program this year isn't very good. Ross is a consistent and technically sound skater who listens to the music. I hope he gets better choreography next season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Ross has almost reached his program's potential. Unless he adds quad jump next year, he's not going far from here.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I knew Patrick missed his last combo and this is confirmed by the protocol. That means there can be improvement for more points at Worlds. Good for him to have something to work on.

At this event, highest BV + highest GOE made for exceedingly high TES and Total score. :thumbsup:

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France

Dai beat Chan on the spins...but he shouldn't have (if we agree with these GOE's) because his Level 2 Camel-change-camel spin was called as a Level 3.

Dai's 3Axel should not have been called < either. Who the hell was the tech panel here? They sucked.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Patrick skated this program better at Canadian nationals, where he made almost no perceptible mistakes. There, he doubled the 3toe in his planned 4t/3t, which he grafted to his 3f later in the program, with a bit of a tight landing on the 3t. Other than that, totally clean.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Also, LOL...Misha Ge - choreographic step sequence master. :laugh:

Actually, I do really appreciate the attempt. That kind of verve is what skating needs more of. People just need to realize when too much is too much.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick skated this program better at Canadian nationals, where he made almost no perceptible mistakes. There, he doubled the 3toe in his planned 4t/3t, which he grafted to his 3f later in the program, with a bit of a tight landing on the 3t. Other than that, totally clean.

Yes, but that was lowland among huge supportive home crowds and this is high altitude among semi home crowds. Also there was much more pressure here with much tougher competition and being in a must win position. He would have lost all momentum and incurred much disdain to lose at his home rink right before Worlds. This is a huge accomplishment, skating an extremely demanding program at high altitude with high stakes to win convincingly and cleanly. Kudos!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So totally missed the LP tonight, but it looks like my assessment of Ross Miner's "slow-and-steady" path to the top was right? ;)