Christopher Caluza: The Super artist from the Philippines | Golden Skate

Christopher Caluza: The Super artist from the Philippines

christinaskater

Medalist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3L6go8ABHM

This guy is a super artist and a star! Amazing musicality! He needs to work on the jumps though!

Can't believe a guy from a tropical country like the Philippines can place 12th overall in an ISU Major Championships! So good on you Christopher and all the Filipinos.

Obviously he is Filipino-American from San Diego hehehe, but still he represented the Philippines really well. Can't wait for Melissa Bulanhagui to take her spot on the World stage!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Congratulations and wasn't there also Filipino-American ladies, and pairs who switched for competing in their home countries ?
although training in the US

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Melissa Bulanhagui for ladies (Is she able to compete internationally yet?)

And Kloe Bautista & Tyler Harris, recently, also one other pair

Have any dancers represented PHI yet?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I just remember the other pair, the Powers I think ?
with so many of these switching countries, wouldn't be surprised if the Philippines becomes a skating powerhouse in South east Asia - Pacific region

MagicFairy

On the Ice
I love Caluza´s FP at 4CC, its also great that Costiniano reached the Final!

With Melissa Bulanhagui, I think the Philippines could be really successful in a few years! :)

There was also a junior pair at the philippine nationals, i think there name is Powers. I thought they will go to Junior Worlds, but they are not on the entry list. Will they compete in any international competition this season?

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think they are waiting out their eligibility issues, (mandatory wait, release by USFS, whatever else?)

"Super artist" is not the way I think of him, but he was certainly one of the standout skaters of the men's comp. He is amazingly gutsy and ambitious for a skater who was almost unknown, and his programs were excellent. I thought his jumps were pretty darn good. He just made a lot of fans!

frauregina

Rinkside
Melissa said she's already under the Philippine Skating Union, but she's still a competitor for the USA under ISU.

Samantha Cabiles is a Filipino citizen already and she's just working on her papers to be under PSU and switch countries under ISU as well.

Woohoo! Go Team Philippines!

mskater93

Record Breaker
I believe Mel is in the process of getting her release from USFS and expects it to clear this summer.

TimDavid

Rinkside

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I share the ice with Chris at home from time to time, and one thing that comes across in his skating is his love for the sport. He's incredibly professional, but also very encouraging. I'm very proud, not only as a Filipino, but as someone who trains at home with him. Go Chris!

bibi24

Final Flight
nice to see Chris get more spotlight representing another country as opposed to U.S.