Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Pairs Short Program at 3:00pm EST

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Amanda UR'd. Plus they do a 3T, and T/T fall on 3S. Fall worth 2.3. UR worth 1.9 Of course the fall gets -1 deduction, but still.

Steps only level 2. That is something fixable for E&L

M&B and D&C got level 4 on the steps! excellent.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    Here are the [URL="http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc2012/fc2012_Pairs_SP_Scores.pdf"]protocols[/URL].
    Amanda did get an UR call on her 3T. Plus, their straightline step sequence got level 2, whereas all the teams ahead of them (except for Sui/Han) got level 4. Throw in the -GOE and that about explains the TES difference. They did get a massive boost in PCS. And their overall score is still very competitive with the top teams.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Amanda UR'd. Plus they do a 3T, and T/T fall on 3S. Fall worth 2.3. UR worth 1.9 Of course the fall gets -1 deduction, but still.

Steps only level 2. That is something fixable for E&L
    T/T's SBS jumps wound up a net 1.3 vs. E/L's 1.9. Where E/L lost out to them in base value is in the step levels and their twist lift level. But what really put T/T ahead is their GOE. T/T got no less than +1 GOE on all their elements except their pair spin and of course, the SBS jump. In fact, if the judges like their elements so much, why isn't their PCS higher? Are T/T really slow or something?

M&B and D&C got level 4 on the steps! excellent.
    M/B, D/C AND E/L got level 4 on the steps sequence at US nationals. I don't know what made the difference here for E/L. I do know I really did not enjoy D/C's painfully slow step sequence.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    T/T's SBS jumps wound up a net 1.3 vs. E/L's 1.9. Where E/L lost out to them in base value is in the step levels and their twist lift level. But what really put T/T ahead is their GOE. T/T got no less than +1 GOE on all their elements except their pair spin and of course, the SBS jump. In fact, if the judges like their elements so much, why isn't their PCS higher? Are T/T really slow or something?

I always hear commentators marveling at the speed at which T/T skate, so I can't be that. They, to me, are flawless aside from the jumps. They actually tick every box for PCS and they should be very, very high.

Custom Title
    I do not understand how judges could possibly give Sui/Han scores of 8.00 for skating skills. What a joke! Same for Denney and Coughlin - they were slow and rough.
    Overall, I thought the PCS judging was reallly, really off tonight.

Judges tend to get really tired of a team where the side by side jumps are never completed. This certainly was true with Inoue & Baldwin. You could expect Baldwin to double or fall. Likewise you can expect Takahashi to fall. Perhaps it has an effect on one or more component marks.

Judges tend to get really tired of a team where the side by side jumps are never completed. This certainly was true with Inoue & Baldwin. You could expect Baldwin to double or fall. Likewise you can expect Takahashi to fall. Perhaps it has an effect on one or more component marks.
    It's weird that this policy does not apply to singles at all. So E/L got the better of it by not falling and merely UR their SBS 3T. What a wacky calculus.

Custom Title
    Evora/Ladwig really should have been top 3. Was her SBS jump really more underrotated than Narumi Takahashi's (which wasn't UR)? I would have to look at it again. And I wonder why they only got Level 2 on the step sequence.

I'm glad they got rewarded for PCS. They probably should have had the highest PCS, but I understand giving the clear 1st place team, S/H, the highest PCS. Still, I wish the judges would do a better job differentiating between teams. E/L should NOT have scored pretty much the same as the other Americans on the lift.
    Last edited by gold12345; 02-11-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Custom Title
    Ouch. What happened to all three Canadian teams? I didn't watch.

She also screws up the 2A on a regular basis.

I don't think this is officially in COP anywhere (although I quit really following the Pairs rules some time ago), but pairs with big jumps routinely get more PCS respect than pairs who never complete their jumps, even if they end up with the same base value.

The usual PCS thing in dance & singles is speed. Pairs too, but John & Rena had good speed and good knees. But lousy jumps.

Custom Title
    Evora & Ladwig

Gorgeous
    She double footed her triple jump but everything else totally special
    Best death spiral in the event
    3tw clean
    Great lift
    huge double loop great landing
    Amanda says she feels good!

60.75 new PB
    in 5th
    I haven't had a chance to read everything, but how exciting that Evora/Ladwig did well. I just love them to bits; I think they're my favorite American pair in years and have been since the 2010 Olympics.

The play by play is earlier in the thread. It was more the American teams skated the best I've seem them do, all getting personal bests. So it isn't so much that the Canadians skated badly. They had little errors. But this is the home rink for 2 of the American teams. And it's at altitude. It's no surprise the top 2 Americans did well. And the altitude may effect some of the other teams.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Ouch. What happened to all three Canadian teams? I didn't watch.
    Duhamel/Radford were uncharacteristically messy. Lawrence/Swiegers were a little rough.

Dube/Wolfe had a poor catch on their triple twist, but they skated well otherwise. I thought they deserved a higher score and higher GOE for their jumps and throw, but the Lvl 1 pairs spin definitely didn't help. Plus, I sensed a bit of home cooking for the US teams in the early going. They weren't doing anyone else any favors.
    Last edited by gold12345; 02-11-2012 at 05:34 PM.

She also screws up the 2A on a regular basis.

I don't think this is officially in COP anywhere (although I quit really following the Pairs rules some time ago), but pairs with big jumps routinely get more PCS respect than pairs who never complete their jumps, even if they end up with the same base value.

The usual PCS thing in dance & singles is speed. Pairs too, but John & Rena had good speed and good knees. But lousy jumps.
    I see! I'll look for that in the future. These are things I really wish they would publish to help us fans out.

Custom Title
    The judges have really been bunching the scores together in the Pairs SP this season. 2nd-8th are separated by only 6 pts. They pretty much just seem to want the LP to determine everything.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast