Pairs Short Program at 3:00pm EST | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Pairs Short Program at 3:00pm EST

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Amanda UR'd. Plus they do a 3T, and T/T fall on 3S. Fall worth 2.3. UR worth 1.9 Of course the fall gets -1 deduction, but still.

Steps only level 2. That is something fixable for E&L

M&B and D&C got level 4 on the steps! excellent.

Serious Business

Record Breaker

Amanda did get an UR call on her 3T. Plus, their straightline step sequence got level 2, whereas all the teams ahead of them (except for Sui/Han) got level 4. Throw in the -GOE and that about explains the TES difference. They did get a massive boost in PCS. And their overall score is still very competitive with the top teams.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Amanda UR'd. Plus they do a 3T, and T/T fall on 3S. Fall worth 2.3. UR worth 1.9 Of course the fall gets -1 deduction, but still.

Steps only level 2. That is something fixable for E&L

T/T's SBS jumps wound up a net 1.3 vs. E/L's 1.9. Where E/L lost out to them in base value is in the step levels and their twist lift level. But what really put T/T ahead is their GOE. T/T got no less than +1 GOE on all their elements except their pair spin and of course, the SBS jump. In fact, if the judges like their elements so much, why isn't their PCS higher? Are T/T really slow or something?

M&B and D&C got level 4 on the steps! excellent.

M/B, D/C AND E/L got level 4 on the steps sequence at US nationals. I don't know what made the difference here for E/L. I do know I really did not enjoy D/C's painfully slow step sequence.

burntBREAD

Medalist
T/T's SBS jumps wound up a net 1.3 vs. E/L's 1.9. Where E/L lost out to them in base value is in the step levels and their twist lift level. But what really put T/T ahead is their GOE. T/T got no less than +1 GOE on all their elements except their pair spin and of course, the SBS jump. In fact, if the judges like their elements so much, why isn't their PCS higher? Are T/T really slow or something?

I always hear commentators marveling at the speed at which T/T skate, so I can't be that. They, to me, are flawless aside from the jumps. They actually tick every box for PCS and they should be very, very high.

oleada

Record Breaker
I do not understand how judges could possibly give Sui/Han scores of 8.00 for skating skills. What a joke! Same for Denney and Coughlin - they were slow and rough.
Overall, I thought the PCS judging was reallly, really off tonight.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Judges tend to get really tired of a team where the side by side jumps are never completed. This certainly was true with Inoue & Baldwin. You could expect Baldwin to double or fall. Likewise you can expect Takahashi to fall. Perhaps it has an effect on one or more component marks.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Judges tend to get really tired of a team where the side by side jumps are never completed. This certainly was true with Inoue & Baldwin. You could expect Baldwin to double or fall. Likewise you can expect Takahashi to fall. Perhaps it has an effect on one or more component marks.

It's weird that this policy does not apply to singles at all. So E/L got the better of it by not falling and merely UR their SBS 3T. What a wacky calculus.

gold12345

Medalist
Evora/Ladwig really should have been top 3. Was her SBS jump really more underrotated than Narumi Takahashi's (which wasn't UR)? :rolleye: I would have to look at it again. And I wonder why they only got Level 2 on the step sequence.

I'm glad they got rewarded for PCS. They probably should have had the highest PCS, but I understand giving the clear 1st place team, S/H, the highest PCS. Still, I wish the judges would do a better job differentiating between teams. E/L should NOT have scored pretty much the same as the other Americans on the lift.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
She also screws up the 2A on a regular basis.

I don't think this is officially in COP anywhere (although I quit really following the Pairs rules some time ago), but pairs with big jumps routinely get more PCS respect than pairs who never complete their jumps, even if they end up with the same base value.

The usual PCS thing in dance & singles is speed. Pairs too, but John & Rena had good speed and good knees. But lousy jumps.

Evora & Ladwig

Gorgeous
She double footed her triple jump but everything else totally special
Best death spiral in the event
3tw clean
Great lift
huge double loop great landing
Amanda says she feels good!

60.75 new PB
in 5th

I haven't had a chance to read everything, but how exciting that Evora/Ladwig did well. I just love them to bits; I think they're my favorite American pair in years and have been since the 2010 Olympics.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The play by play is earlier in the thread. It was more the American teams skated the best I've seem them do, all getting personal bests. So it isn't so much that the Canadians skated badly. They had little errors. But this is the home rink for 2 of the American teams. And it's at altitude. It's no surprise the top 2 Americans did well. And the altitude may effect some of the other teams.

gold12345

Medalist
:eek:Ouch. What happened to all three Canadian teams? I didn't watch.

Duhamel/Radford were uncharacteristically messy. Lawrence/Swiegers were a little rough.

Dube/Wolfe had a poor catch on their triple twist, but they skated well otherwise. I thought they deserved a higher score and higher GOE for their jumps and throw, but the Lvl 1 pairs spin definitely didn't help. Plus, I sensed a bit of home cooking for the US teams in the early going. They weren't doing anyone else any favors.

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
She also screws up the 2A on a regular basis.

I don't think this is officially in COP anywhere (although I quit really following the Pairs rules some time ago), but pairs with big jumps routinely get more PCS respect than pairs who never complete their jumps, even if they end up with the same base value.

The usual PCS thing in dance & singles is speed. Pairs too, but John & Rena had good speed and good knees. But lousy jumps.

I see! I'll look for that in the future. These are things I really wish they would publish to help us fans out.

gold12345

Medalist
The judges have really been bunching the scores together in the Pairs SP this season. 2nd-8th are separated by only 6 pts. They pretty much just seem to want the LP to determine everything.

DianaSelene

Medalist
I do not understand how judges could possibly give Sui/Han scores of 8.00 for skating skills. What a joke! Same for Denney and Coughlin - they were slow and rough.
Overall, I thought the PCS judging was reallly, really off tonight.

Yeah, those scores are ridiculous. S/H got almost the same scores as B/L at europeans. And while I could agree with the technical score, how can Sui/Han get such high scores for skating skills? Except for the clean elements, speed, and ridiculous punching the air, the skating is very poor.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yeah, those scores are ridiculous. S/H got almost the same scores as B/L at europeans. And while I could agree with the technical score, how can Sui/Han get such high scores for skating skills? Except for the clean elements, speed, and ridiculous punching the air, the skating is very poor.

Do not get me started on that. Ridiculous doesn't even begin to describe it.

jcoates

Medalist
I'm actually rather excited about the LP tomorrow. Pairs has been my least favorite discipline over the last few years as usually only S/S and V/T really impressed me. Now there appears to be a really competent second tier of teams developing. Not world beaters yet by any means, but definitely improving noticeably.

Marley and Brubaker are being a bit underestimated in the comments here. They still have lots of progress and gelling to do, but Jenni and Todd are really bringing them along and infusing some their own best qualities and those of the Nicks method into their skating. Things like good deep knees, strong straight backs, good flow and speed, better unison and ice coverage. Their footwork sequence is terrific and full of energy. Also, the sbs 3Ts were very much in sync whereas many of the other teams were slightly out of sync (D/C in particular).

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Yeah, I think Mary Beth and Rockne have a lot of potential. They still have some growing to do and are a bit limited currently because Mary Beth looks about 13 and any type of really mature, romantic program would just long wrong. Maybe in a few seasons when they are ready, they can give Mary Beth a Michelle-esque makeover and start doing more senior level programs.

treeloving

Medalist
Seen it already. I love Sui/Han. They're very good pairs skaters, and two of the best performers in competitive skating right now. But the Chinese pairs program has come a long way down from Shen/Zhao, Pang/Tong and the Zhangs. It would have to for a team like Zhang and Wang to be bronze medalists at Chinese nationals.

I think the one who won bronze at Chinese national is Yu Xiaoyu - Jin Yang, who is quite elegant when you watch them live, not Zhang/Wang

I always hear commentators marveling at the speed at which T/T skate, so I can't be that. They, to me, are flawless aside from the jumps. They actually tick every box for PCS and they should be very, very high.

I agree, it seems they treat PCS here for presentation which as Serious Business pointed out it is totally different policy than single. I wonder why. :think:

Last edited: