Pairs Short Program at 3:00pm EST | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Pairs Short Program at 3:00pm EST

Mao88

Record Breaker
Position After 6 Of 10

1. Caydee DENNEY/John COUGHLIN (USA) - 63.35 (TES: 35.55, PCS: 27.80)
2. Mary Beth MARLEY/Rockne BRUBAKER (USA) - 62.42 (TES: 34.96, PCS: 27.46)
3. Jessica DUBE/Sebastien WOLFE (CAN) - 57.68 (TES: 31.28, PCS: 26.40)
4. Meagan DUHAMEL/Eric RADFORD (CAN) - 57.53 (TES: 31.44, PCS: 26.09)
5. Huibo DONG/Yiming WU (CHN) - 49.52 (TES: 27.29, PCS: 22.23)
6. Yue ZHANG/Lei WANG (CHN) - 48.04 (TES: 24.41, PCS: 23.63)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Something you don't see often: 2 US teams at the top of any intermediate leader board

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Wait to see Sui/Han's quad twist.

Seen it already. I love Sui/Han. They're very good pairs skaters, and two of the best performers in competitive skating right now. But the Chinese pairs program has come a long way down from Shen/Zhao, Pang/Tong and the Zhangs. It would have to for a team like Zhang and Wang to be bronze medalists at Chinese nationals.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Seen it already. I love Sui/Han. They're very good pairs skaters, and two of the best performers in competitive skating right now. But the Chinese pairs program has come a long way down from Shen/Zhao, Pang/Tong and the Zhangs. It would have to for a team like Zhang and Wang to be bronze medalists at Chinese nationals.

The Chinese dont even have a pair capable of medalling at the World level anymore. The Zhangs are no longer a real threat, and Sui & Han have a long way to go still. Pang & Tong are getting old and dont seem to be competing much anymore.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Looks like it's scheduled to end at 4:45pm with three groups and an ice resurfacing.

Thanks, icemusings, I'm going to be late. :( But I want, I MUST watch the end of this, lol. :biggrin: Going to make some calls to my lovelies to tell them I will be a tad late, but will make up for it with a trip to Seattle's oldest toystore downtown, as well as a movie tomorrow. :love:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
im late Denney/Coughlin in 1st ? never expected that
they could stay 1st in sp unless Sui/Han mess up.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
The Chinese dont even have a pair capable of medalling at the World level anymore. The Zhangs are no longer a real threat, and Sui & Han have a long way to go still. Pang & Tong are getting old and dont seem to be competing much anymore.

Pairs power is back with Russia in full force. Russia has more podium-worthy pairs teams than they know what to do with.

Wait to see Sui/Han's quad twist.

Nadine, Pairs girls are of tiny bodies, biggest guts. Pairs guy are strong physically to be good chick hoisters but also need mental strength to deal with guilt and trauma of mishaps.

Best description of pairs skaters ever, both in terms of seriousness and in terms of humor. I don't know which I like better: of tiny bodies, biggest guts (totally true), or chick hoisters! (Not demeaning at all when said by someone who loves skating and skaters as much as you do.) I actually never thought about that last idea of yours, but it's true that guys have to be able to withstand the guilt and trauma of mishaps. They can't second-guess themselves, or they'd never be able to lift, carry, and throw their lady. (Who is often their girlfriend or wife.)

emma

Record Breaker
since you are discussing Chinese pairs.... Zhang(man) has an injury, right? And Pant/Tong, were they only planning worlds this year (somehow, I thought they would come to 4cc)...thanks in advance if you know the answer.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
since you are discussing Chinese pairs.... Zhang(man) has an injury, right? And Pant/Tong, were they only planning worlds this year (somehow, I thought they would come to 4cc)...thanks in advance if you know the answer.

I knew Pang/Tong weren't doing anything but Worlds.. I think I did hear about the injury to Hao Zhang at one point but I think it slipped my mind.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
didn't Pang/Tong retired ? so they are making a comeback for 2012 Worlds, how old are they now ?
It'll be tough for them to get Bronze again, they haven't competed internationally last season and will have to fight the spot again with K/S

Sui/Han are the best Chinese Pairs atm, they will age out at Junior Worlds this season.

evangeline

Record Breaker
didn't Pang/Tong retired ? so they are making a comeback for 2012 Worlds, how old are they now ?
It'll be tough for them to get Bronze again, they haven't competed internationally last season and will have to fight the spot again with K/S

P/T aren't exactly retired, I guess they're sort of like Michelle Kwan back in the day (except Michelle did Nationals too, in addition to Worlds). According to wikipedia, they're both 32 years old.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
32 years ? well I suppose Szolkowy is 34
they have retired and then came back many times
as I was certain they said last 2011 Worlds was their last. LOL

P/T didn't do quite well at Nationals and Z/Z are injured ?
Savchenko was a minor injury and Smirnov who's recent appendix taken out

Nadine

Record Breaker
OMG, there's that Chinese pair I was talking about, they're wearing "cowboy & cowgirl" type outfits. I LOVE this pair!!! :thumbsup: :love: :rock: