Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Thread: Short Dance 5:30 PM EST

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    (My) Perfect world? Two for Canada, one for Russia, one for Germany.

World I can be excited about? Two for Russia, Two for Canada

World I think we'll get? Two for Russia, one of Canada, one for the USA

World that would be wonderfully confuddling? One for Germany, one for Canada, one for Japan/Russia, one for the USA

Any other possiblities would genuinely surprise me.

---
    So what is it: two for Browning, two for Orser, two for Stoijko. There's the three (twice). Unless you don't count Orser's first entrance.
    I'm assuming we're not counting Browning's first outing, or Elvis' last? (Did orser go in 80? can't remember).

Custom Title
    It's actually many more than six misses for Canada. By my count, the three skaters we're discussing missed out on gold seven times in six Olympics: 84 and 88 for Orser; 92 and 94 for Browning; and 94, 98 and 02 for Stojko (remember Elvis did win a World silver in the 02 cycle, so he was theoretically in the running for a bronze along with Goegbel, Eldridge, Weiss, Abt and Honda). Regarding Orser in 84, he came in as the reigning world bronze medallist so he was definite contender for the podium, though I don't think anyone imagined he's challenge Scott as strongly as he did in light of his porr histpry with figures to that point. Other Canadian men whose legacies have likely conrtibuted to the super push for Chan are of course Cranston who was co-favorite in 76 with Curry, and Buttle who could have placed better in Turin ahead of Lambiel and had he been totally clean and landed his quads, could have challenged Plushy IMO. Of course Chan blew up in Vancouver. So in reality, the only Olympics since 76 where Canada has not suffered major disappointment is 1980 when they had no real medal contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoates View Post
    It's actually many more than six misses for Canada. By my count, the three skaters we're discussing missed out on gold seven times in six Olympics: 84 and 88 for Orser; 92 and 94 for Browning; and 94, 98 and 02 for Stojko (remember Elvis did win a World silver in the 02 cycle, so he was theoretically in the running for a bronze along with Goegbel, Eldridge, Weiss, Abt and Honda). Regarding Orser in 84, he came in as the reigning world bronze medallist so he was definite contender for the podium, though I don't think anyone imagined he's challenge Scott as strongly as he did in light of his porr histpry with figures to that point. Other Canadian men whose legacies have likely conrtibuted to the super push for Chan are of course Cranston who was co-favorite in 76 with Curry, and Buttle who could have placed better in Turin ahead of Lambiel and had he been totally clean and landed his quads, could have challenged Plushy IMO. Of course Chan blew up in Vancouver. So in reality, the only Olympics since 76 where Canada has not suffered major disappointment is 1980 when they had no real medal contenders.
    Wow, I knew more than I thought, I thought about Toller but wasn't sure how much of a rival he was for gold, and I second guessed my memory of 02 and Elvis... all I remember is his groin injury and the media focussing on that... (and I'm embarassed to say I forgot Buttle *facepalm*)

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    This x 100.

And Scott has hip action? I've yet to see it. Look, no one in the world right now can portray "romance on ice" better than him, but sexy ain't in his wheelhouse.
    Oh, I definitely think he can do sexy (and he did in the Free Dance last season). This new program is cartoonish in its presentation, though, and disjointed on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    While I agree it wasn't the greatest short dance, I think keeping "Temptation" was the correct move - it sets the scene for the Rhumba beautifully, in a way that Hip Hip or Mujeur Latina wouldn't.
    I think they could have easily set the Rhumba(s) to those pieces of music. Other teams this season have been able to. There's no unifying meaning to this program with the 3 pieces of music so condensed. The almost existential story of desire and adultery, as seen through a modern view, has been lost. There isn't enough time to fit "Temptation" in and tell the story. They should have dropped it and focused on making the Short Dance entirely kinetic and vivacious.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    And they should drop that "let's rub noses like the Eskimoses" moments in the intro and one other spot.

I agree Tessa and Scott can do sexy, but this SD is somehow not setting for them, and now it is way overworked.

Custom Title
    Not counting Browning in 88, Buttle in 06 (I think his bronze is an achievement, not a miss), Chan in 2010 (injury derailed that train), Stoijko in 2002 (missing the top ten in Vancouver sealed that for me) and Cranston (don't know enough).

Custom Title
    Also, when are tech callers selected for these events? Because the Euros' SD also had some really tough calling too, particularly on the top teams. Given the way the GPF handed out levels like candy (world record for D/W's SD), I can imagine the ISU almost wanting to rein that in a little.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I imagine that there was a letter from the top.

The ISU dance technical committee is meeting at 4CC's, all the tech panel are ISU employees, so the management is breathing down their neck here. Toughness is just going to happen.

I warned y'all.

On the Ice
    Browning had a serious back injury in 92 that made him miss part of the season and Canadians. He really didn't have the training to come in and win a gold medal, not that you'd have known that from the media. There was little mention of the loss of training time and what it did to the athlete in those days. Cranston was mostly a gold medal favourite in the eyes of his fans - and I'm one of them - he was definitely in the hunt for medals but Curry was the favourite when favourites mattered. Stoijko wasn't expected to contend in 1994 although he too was expected to be on or near the podium. Orser was the one who was expected to win in 1988, but he lost to a once in a life time performance by a competitor - no shame in that.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16