Short Dance 5:30 PM EST | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Short Dance 5:30 PM EST

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The problem with Paul and Islam is that they skated slow, and their rhumba steps were flawed enough that they were visible to me, not just to Judy Blumberg.

Hubbells were sloppy and fast. Fast wins. And it did in 6.0 too (Grishuk & Platov)

sfgirl

On the Ice
thanks for explaining scores! Gosh, I'm out of breath - what a final flight! Clearly, the altitude is cruel, and maybe the callers are tough too, but that was a heck of a lot of fun to watch. It is just so amazing to me how talented these dancers are - and V/M and D/W (Not suggesting anything with that order, btw) are just remarkable athletes and performers. Wow. I really can't wait for sea level (I'm assuming Nice is sea level) at worlds. This is like a great teaser/pre-view.

I wonder if V&M come in second at Worlds, if they will leave competitive skating. I get the feeling that if D&W come in second they are determined to continue on to the Olympics. I like both teams very much, and all four seem like lovely people.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
The problem with Paul and Islam is that they skated slow, and their rhumba steps were flawed enough that they were visible to me, not just to Judy Blumberg.

Hubbells were sloppy and fast. Fast wins. And it did in 6.0 too (Grishuk & Platov)

Oh my goodness, yes, it certainly did. Fast (even if sloppy).

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
In terms of V/M's short program, yes, the reworking of the ending lift is not a good idea, however, it may work better when it is not being done in hi-altitude. If they were short of breath, having to do that physical effort at the end would be quite challenging. However, I was totally mesmerized by the flow in the Rhumba ... they looked like they were floating across the ice and everything was in control, and those edges - !

W/P - ick to the animal print, and ick to the cut on the dress, but, they do sell the idea very well. The Shibs - beautiful, and far more impressed than I've ever been by them. I agree that they will have to be careful with choreo, however, other brother and sister teams have done very well and these two are extremely talented and simply very effective in terms of connecting with the audience. V/M, D/W, W/P - all look very mature and polished, and it will be interesting to see how the Shibs score when they have a patina of maturity laid overtop of their skill and talent ...

Yeah, the transitions in the beginning of Temptation to the Rhumba really make the dance for V/M. I wish they fixed the timing of the lift. They've tinkered with this program way too much.

Agreed about the Shibs. They will be dancers challenging an all-time list in a couple years.

emma

Record Breaker
CrisCayote - thanks for sharing your rinkside thoughts! I hope you enjoyed it, and your comments are really appreciated.

veravina

Rinkside
I'm reading comments in another thread that D&W were also off in the twizzles but still got level 4 for them.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Unison isn't a level thing, it's a GOE thing, and likely why D/W had a lower GOE on their twizzles than V/M. It's not that Tessa was "off." It's that she was off in a manner that lost them a feature.

veravina

Rinkside
Unison isn't a level thing, it's a GOE thing, and likely why D/W had a lower GOE on their twizzles than V/M. It's not that Tessa was "off." It's that she was off in a manner that lost them a feature.

Thanks. I've never understood the twizzle thing.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
I wonder if V&M come in second at Worlds, if they will leave competitive skating. I get the feeling that if D&W come in second they are determined to continue on to the Olympics. I like both teams very much, and all four seem like lovely people.

Oh, I think D/W will continue to Sochi regardless. They want that OGM and they want it bad, and so far it seems like the only team who can snatch it out of their hands is V/M.

I don't see V/M leaving competitive skating before Sochi unless Tessa's injury flairs up to the point where it's just not worth it. Certainly losing to D/W time after time would probably demotivate them a bit as well, although I would say that Scott didn't look the least bit defeated in the K&C, lol. Tessa, not quite so determined but she's still very strong and focused.

I don't think the Shibs are really going to start getting really top scores until they become National champs, which clearly isn't going to be until D/W decide to retire if this current streak keeps up. I would say that the Shibs would do well to pace themselves and develop their core skills, because their time to really shine will be once D/W and V/M leave competitive ice dancing.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
In an icenetwork article, Scott mentions that they'll be skating in their hometown next season (London). As ever a team/skater retired in the penultimate year of the quad?

re: Twizzles, here's the level four rule

Different entry edge and different direction of
rotation of the two Twizzles

AND
At least 4 rotations in each of the two Twizzles
AND
OPTION 1
3 different Additional Features from 3
different Groups
OPTION 2
2 different Additional Features from
different Groups

THE GROUPS ARE

Group A (upper body and hands):
ƒ elbow(s) at least at level with or higher than the level of the shoulders (hand(s) could be above the head, at the same level as the head, or
lower than the head);
ƒ significant continuous motion of arms;
ƒ core of body is shifted off vertical axis;
ƒ hands clasped behind back and extended away from the body;
ƒ straight arms clasped in front and extended away from the body (between the waist and chest level and lower that the level of shoulders);
ƒ executing Twizzles with the head bent all the back with the face to the ceiling.

Group B (skating leg and free leg):
ƒ free leg crossed behind above the knee;
ƒ free leg extended to the side or backward at least 45 degree angle from the vertical;
ƒ sit position (at least 90 degrees between the thigh and shin of the skating leg);
ƒ changing the level of the skating leg (knee) with a continuous motion;
ƒ Coupée in front or behind with free foot at least at the top of the calf and hip in fully open position;
ƒ Attitude front, behind or to the side in at least 45 degrees, with free leg bent or extended;
ƒ holding the blade or boot of the free foot.

Group C:
ƒ both partners perform a third Twizzle of at least 3 rotations, performed correctly, started with different entry edge than the first two
Twizzles, and preceded by a maximum of one step for Set of Sequential Twizzles or a maximum of three small steps for Set of
Synchronized Twizzles;
ƒ clear change of side: both partners cross pattern at least once during the rotations;
ƒ Set of Sequential/Synchronized Twizzles performed side by side in opposite direction (mirror);
ƒ Set of Sequential/Synchronized Twizzles performed following one another face to face;
ƒ Set of Sequential/Synchronized Twizzles performed following one another back to back;
ƒ entrance to the first Twizzle from a Dance Jump (the entry edge for the Twizzle will be determined by the landing edge of the Dance
Jump).

sweetskates1

Medalist
I hope D/W have an amazing FS. I just LOVE their program, it is beautiful!! D/W should win again at Worlds and I hope they will win by a large margin there. I highly doubt that V/M are going to retire. Scott thinks he IS ice dancing and will do everything to get the gold medals. D/W will also continue until they get the chance to win the gold at the Olympics.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I hope D/W have an amazing FS. I just LOVE their program, it is beautiful!! D/W should win again at Worlds and I hope they will win by a large margin there. I highly doubt that V/M are going to retire. Scott thinks he IS ice dancing and will do everything to get the gold medals. D/W will also continue until they get the chance to win the gold at the Olympics.

I'm pretty sure he gives Tessa more credit than you do here.

katia

On the Ice
Hmmm, I don't know WHY some people expect that V/M will retire when D/W will not. Tessa is 2 years younger than Meryl, isn't she?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Hmmm, I don't know WHY some people expect that V/M will retire when D/W will not. Tessa is 2 years younger than Meryl, isn't she?

1. Tessa's had two surgeries. Meryl hasn't had any.

2. V/M have an Olympic gold medal. D/W don't.

3. D/W are the USA's best chance for gold in Sochi. That's not the case of V/M, and some of speculated that Skate Canada spend their political capital elsewhere.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Of course , anyone can wish or hope for anything they like..but I don't think we're going to see a wide margin between V/M and D/W anytime soon , whichever couple wins at any event. ( Barring accidents , which can happen to anyone , but I hope no-one wishes for. ):)

Good result for W/P , but there will be no resting between now and World's with the Shibs right there.( I think the power and emotion of their FD should keep them ahead tomorrow , if they skate well , but it can't be taken for granted , technically. ) I just love all 4 of these top four teams.

I love the P/I and H/D as well. they each have unique qualities that make them very promising for the future. I was glad to see more confidence on the part of P/I.. and hope they continue to skate well tomorrow. ( Their respective FD's are completely different in style , and ... never mind apples and oranges..might be in completely different food groups ). They'll have to really start working for next year after this , and I'd love to see P/I be able to go into it with a bit of silver lining in sight .

This is a treat of a competition , but I , too , hate to see altitude taking a toll.

Last edited:

mmcdermott

On the Ice
And Scott totally hates the Yankee polka dance for next year's SD, so maybe they'll quit to avoid having to do it ;)

On the other hand...

• I don't imagine he'd be complaining so loudly about the SD choices if they had any intention of quitting.
  • Worlds are in their hometown next year, so obviously they wouldn't want to miss that
  • They're getting closer and closer to being on top again. Why would you quit when you're a point or two back?

Anyway, I didn't get a chance to watch but it sounds like they did a much better job with this SD today vs. the last two competitions. I'm sure they'll be pleased that their component marks were higher. If they win the free dance like they (unofficially) did at the GPF they could come out on top.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, no one in the top 4 teams made any major mistakes, which is a good thing, but they all got a little ragged in spots and came off the ice puffing-not as bad as Nan Song last night in men's.

He had oxygen administered.