Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Short Dance 5:30 PM EST

Custom Title
    Hmmm, I don't know WHY some people expect that V/M will retire when D/W will not. Tessa is 2 years younger than Meryl, isn't she?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by katia View Post
    Hmmm, I don't know WHY some people expect that V/M will retire when D/W will not. Tessa is 2 years younger than Meryl, isn't she?
    1. Tessa's had two surgeries. Meryl hasn't had any.

2. V/M have an Olympic gold medal. D/W don't.

3. D/W are the USA's best chance for gold in Sochi. That's not the case of V/M, and some of speculated that Skate Canada spend their political capital elsewhere.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Of course , anyone can wish or hope for anything they like..but I don't think we're going to see a wide margin between V/M and D/W anytime soon , whichever couple wins at any event. ( Barring accidents , which can happen to anyone , but I hope no-one wishes for. )

Good result for W/P , but there will be no resting between now and World's with the Shibs right there.( I think the power and emotion of their FD should keep them ahead tomorrow , if they skate well , but it can't be taken for granted , technically. ) I just love all 4 of these top four teams.

I love the P/I and H/D as well. they each have unique qualities that make them very promising for the future. I was glad to see more confidence on the part of P/I.. and hope they continue to skate well tomorrow. ( Their respective FD's are completely different in style , and ... never mind apples and oranges..might be in completely different food groups ). They'll have to really start working for next year after this , and I'd love to see P/I be able to go into it with a bit of silver lining in sight .

This is a treat of a competition , but I , too , hate to see altitude taking a toll.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 02-11-2012 at 09:46 PM.

And Scott totally hates the Yankee polka dance for next year's SD, so maybe they'll quit to avoid having to do it

On the other hand...

• I don't imagine he'd be complaining so loudly about the SD choices if they had any intention of quitting.
    • Worlds are in their hometown next year, so obviously they wouldn't want to miss that
    • They're getting closer and closer to being on top again. Why would you quit when you're a point or two back?

Anyway, I didn't get a chance to watch but it sounds like they did a much better job with this SD today vs. the last two competitions. I'm sure they'll be pleased that their component marks were higher. If they win the free dance like they (unofficially) did at the GPF they could come out on top.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Well, no one in the top 4 teams made any major mistakes, which is a good thing, but they all got a little ragged in spots and came off the ice puffing-not as bad as Nan Song last night in men's.

He had oxygen administered.

Quote Originally Posted by Kypma View Post
    I noticed during the slow-mo replays that Tessa missed her blade on the first twizzle rotation of the first set, so that's probably where the level was lost. Had she reached her blade a fraction of a second earlier, they'd have likely gotten the level and, with that extra point, the lead. The teams are *that* close!
    Yeah I noticed that too, but Charlie also had some trouble catching his blade on the twizzles.

Custom Title
    At the Dance meeting when the coaches/skaters were discussing what changes might come after this Olympics, ISU Tech Comm. Chair Halina Gordon Poltorak said they may not have a Pattern Dance in the SD but rather certain step sequences when Moir complained he didn't like Yankee Polka or Finnstep. He commented that any changes made to the SD after 2014 would be too late for him.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Yeah I noticed that too, but Charlie also had some trouble catching his blade on the twizzles.
    Charlie made enough rotations after he caught his blade to get the level. However, they lost some GOE there-but it's less than what you'd lose losing the level & the GOE as well.

KKonas, not that everyone didn't suspect V&M were retiring after 2014 Olympics, but isn't this the first time either Virture or Moir have absolutely said so?

I for one expect to see Virtue and Moir retire after the 2014 Olympics, even if they don't get the gold again. Rarely does an ice dance team stick around THAT long AFTER winning an OGM (except Grishuk and Platov too), and she's been injured.

As for Davis and White, I could see them staying in even if they DO get the gold, since as far as I know, they're both healthy.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Charlie made enough rotations after he caught his blade to get the level. However, they lost some GOE there-but it's less than what you'd lose losing the level & the GOE as well.

KKonas, not that everyone didn't suspect V&M were retiring after 2014 Olympics, but isn't this the first time either Virture or Moir have absolutely said so?
    Well, he didn't say, "Tessa & I are going to retire after Sochi" but his comment was pretty much exactly as I typed it, indicating that that is the plan.
    As far as I know that's the first time they even hinted at making a decision about the future.

Custom Title
    Am I the only one who feels like Virtue/Moir have fiddled too much with their short dance? I really loved it at the beginning of the season, but not so much now. That raw, exciting, hot quality it had last fall is gone. I just wonder if they've reworked it so many times they've lost some of the original spirit.

Meanwhile, Davis/White's short dance just continues to get stronger, in my opinion, anyway. I was struck by how much energy and ease they performed it with. They make this program fun. It may not be the most sensual Latin, and I agree V/M have better hip action. But it's just a great dance--I always enjoy watching it. And Meryl does such a great job selling it. (As usual, I can't understand the criticism of her in this thread--someone called her prim?? C'mon.)

No real opinion about the Shibs vs. W/P. To me, the Shibs' performance level seemed much higher. W/P felt a little flat. But, both teams were good, and they're certainly close.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    Am I the only one who feels like Virtue/Moir have fiddled too much with their short dance? I really loved it at the beginning of the season, but not so much now. That raw, exciting, hot quality it had last fall is gone. I just wonder if they've reworked it so many times they've lost some of the original spirit.
    No, you're not the only one. I think what happened at the GPF spooked V/M a little too much.

Custom Title
    Agreed.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I'll third that. ( OOps, I guess that a fourth..sorry. Late , now )

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    It was never a good Short Dance to begin with. They needed to keep the BRILLIANT opening from their Free Dance last season and they should have cut out the "Temptation" portion instead of trying to turn all 3 pieces of music from their Free Dance last season into a Short Dance.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast