LADIES LONG PROGRAM Thread | Page 34 | Golden Skate

LADIES LONG PROGRAM Thread

hurrah

Medalist
I don't think Mao's weight loss last year is attributable to an eating disorder such as anorexia or bulimia. It was more likely due to lack of appetite caused by grief she felt for what was going on in her family. She's made incremental improvements in many areas of her skating and it will pay off in the end!

joy k.k

Rinkside
I don't think Mao's weight loss last year is attributable to an eating disorder such as anorexia or bulimia. It was more likely due to lack of appetite caused by grief she felt for what was going on in her family.

I think so too.

mary01

Final Flight
I sincerly wish Mao all the best at worlds, I will be rooting for her to snatch the title!

loren

Rinkside
I would like someone who challenges herself technically, like Ashley did 3f-3t in her sp, Mao, 3A, to win Worlds!!! Not, by mysterious PCS!!!

I don't think Mao's weight loss last year is attributable to an eating disorder such as anorexia or bulimia. It was more likely due to lack of appetite caused by grief she felt for what was going on in her family. She's made incremental improvements in many areas of her skating and it will pay off in the end!

I think you're right about the weight. We have to remember that her mother's death wasn't sudden. The poor woman was suffering from a longterm illness, and I know from experience that this can take a toll on one over time. Especially if her mother was getting obviously worse, there's an element of dread that one tries to keep at the back of one's mind so that it doesn't flood one's every thought. The last year of my Mom's life, almost everyone I met commented that my face looked too thin. And my mother was elderly. Imagine being nineteen or twenty and having one's mother that desperately ill.

I do hope that with this good outcome under her belt (a silver is pretty impressive, especially at high altitude), Mao can work on regaining her strength and smoothing out her problems. She's not exactly tumbling to the bottom of the ranks here. She's still one of the world's most accomplished skaters, and she's a splendid (and rare) combination of strength and beautiful artistry. She has the work ethic, the confidence, and the natural gifts. I'm rooting for her as well as for the American ladies!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
What a great triumph for Ashley and Mr Nicks :yay: I'm so, so very happy for them.

Is it possible to watch the interview with Ashley somewhere?

Kudos also to Caroline!!!! and to Mao going for her 3-axel!!!

Congrats to all these three fighters :bow:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Mao skated a very decent program and her high score reflects what she did on the ice.

No one was more shocked than me with Ashley's performance (loved it) cuz it was actually better than her Nationals performance.
The night belonged to Ashley she out-skated her competition, that is sport plain and simple.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao made some mistakes. Ashley skated a near-perfect program. That is why Ashley won. I am not a fan of Ashley, particularly, but she has great programs this year--credit Philip Mills and John Nicks. She also has the competitive fire that has been so lacking in US ladies since Michelle left the scene. The skater who should really be worried is Carolina Kostner. Ashley's long program is more demanding technically than Caro's, especially if she ups it to seven triples. But Ashley will have to repeat what she did here, at least, to make the podium at Worlds.

emma

Record Breaker
Late to the party.....haven't watched a thing yet, but can't wait!!! So, congrats to the medalists! Special shout out to Ashley - she is on a mission this year and so nice to see her do well. Wow, that was a huge score! Mao is a very special skater and I do hope - from reading your comments - that she continues to get those jumps in order. Caroline, wow, what can I say??? This is so great for you!!!!

I am happy for Amelie and hope this whole thing can be used as a source of strength. Hope Cynthia continues to work with Orser and come back strong next year.

I can't believe how the world's ladies comp just get way, way more interesting. wow. can't wait!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I sincerly wish Mao all the best at worlds, I will be rooting for her to snatch the title!

Me too.

But wow, wow, wow! Congratulation to Wagner and Zhang!!!:thumbsup: Never liked Wagner much but so impressed by her accomplishment at Nationals and 4CC!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Philip Mills has done some very good choreography over the years for a number of skaters that I liked. AFAIR, he did some programs for Navarro & Bommentre and Inoue & Baldwin and a lot of others that I do not remember.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Wafflecakes' ignorance is impressive, too. Fitness does not equal acclimatization. There is only one way to acclimatize, and that is to be at altitude and preferably, train and practice there for at least a short while. There is absolutely nothing you can do at lower levels to circumvent this process. Lowland-based skaters (or any other athlete) who don't normally train at altitude but who must compete at an altitude venue, probably best should arrive a couple of weeks early in order to allow their bodies to do this, and to make the breathing adjustments necessary to take in enough oxygen. Obviously, the vast majority of competititors do not have the time or money to be able to park themselves early at Colorado Springs to do this.

I agree. I know it is difficult for every Japanese skater because essentially every major Japanese city is at sea level. Tokyo at only about 15 feet above, while Colorado Springs is at about 6000 feet above. That's a pretty crazy adjustment for any athlete :eek:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
:confused: Not sure that I got the reference to the power of purse.

I think he means Japan's sponsorships, they give a lot of the sponsorships to skating, no ?

although I agree with you, NHK and Cup of Russia has the least inflated scores
I am actually amazed how scores even with the Japanese and Russian Nationals are almost the same in International results not that much inflated
Mao's, B/L Pluschenko at euros , ice dance etc.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I am so over the moon for Ashley, I don't think Mao is in any trouble of losing the World Title to her through politics or any other such nonsense. It's not like Ashley is a judges favorite now or ever. Ashley's worked hard to get to where she is, and it's starting to -finally- pay off. Mao was beautiful on the ice, and I wouldn't have complained if she won. It could've gone either way. Ashley held my attention more/longer than Mao did, but I think that's more the music (Mao's was too quiet for night time lol).

Ashley will still have to skate lights out to get ON THE PODIUM, and we know how she can psych herself up so much that she flops... I'm hoping that doesn't happen (she's in a tough spot, if she doesn't podium will be all over her for not making it, and if she DOES then she'll have insane pressure next year that she may not be ready for and she'll flop then and people will be all over her), but it's a possibility. No need to hurl insults at a skater or fans because she happened to pull it all together. Don't feel threatened for the big prize... it's a new day a month away.

macy

Record Breaker
ashley did SO beautifully. i've never been a big fan of hers but i think she's starting to win me over. she took total command of that program. i just hope she is able to carry this momentum not only into worlds, but into next season. alissa did absolutley wonderful, even better than ashley IMO in her first season with new coaches, then the second season was a little more rough. IMO they are both medal contenders and if both skate well are completely capable of getting 3 spots back. they are the best shots out of the US ladies at worlds right now so i'm glad they both made it. it will be interesting to see what will happen with US ladies now...ashley's back on, alissa is still fighting but who knows when she will retire, caroline making more and more improvements, agnes hopefully getting more consistent, the thought of rachael and mirai retiring, or both of them making a change/comeback, gracie gold most likely going senior next year, and who knows how much the other current juniors will improve over the next few years. i'm excited :)