LADIES LONG PROGRAM Thread | Page 33 | Golden Skate

LADIES LONG PROGRAM Thread

Mao88

Record Breaker
MAO ASADA'S 3AXELS *RATIFIED* FROM 2008-2010:

4 in 2008 = 1 in 4CC LP, 1 in NHK LP, 2 in GPF LP

5 in 2009 = 1 in Worlds LP, 1 in World Team Trophy SP, 1 in World Team Trophy LP, 1 in TEB LP, 1 in Nationals LP

5 in 2010 = 2 in 4CC LP, 1 in Olympic SP, 2 in Olympic LP

The following were downgraded & not tallied up above: 2 in 2008 Nationals LP, 1 in 2009 World Team Trophy LP, 1 in 2009 Nationals SP, 1 in 2010 4CC SP.

Okay, so that's 14 successful out of 19, which means she has had a 75% success rate! :thumbsup: (I was 5% off, my apologies)

***Note: I don't have stats for the 2011 season nor now; will have to add these to my stats.*** :cool:

Since the end of the 2009/10 season, Mao has attempted 15 3A's and only succeeded with 2 of them. Hence, between 2008-2012, 16 successful out of 34 - a success rate of 47.06%. That's far less than the 80% you were referring to and which tallies with what I thought it was.

tampro1

Rinkside
Not necessarily. IMO, Ashley's TR, CH and IN should beat out Alissa's if they both skate their current programs cleanly. Alissa's LP this season is a dud, whereas Black Swan is actually quite decent.

YMMV for PE.

I agree with evangeline. Alissa's program is slow and boring. It makes her seem even slower and highlights her cautious skating. I think it was Mathman who said it was like she's skating to her own funeral music :laugh: Ashley's Black Swan is interesting and keeps you attention. Finally, we have an American lady who skates with attack and consistency! I thought Caroline skated faster and with more attack tonight as well. Hopefully, next season Alissa's team will pick a better vehicle for her strengths. She really is gorgeous and lyrical on the ice. Ashley should now get the marks she deserves and be a contender at Worlds.

skfan

Final Flight
Well...Ashley's arm movements go perfectly with her music. Mao didn't need to do sharp movements during her spiral sequence, but she could've done something.

Thrilled for Ashley! And she just gave a very cute interview. Rather rude questions, though, by the interviewer, trying to get her to gloat.

i respect your right to your opinion, but to me, ashley's arm movements are unaesthetic. even if it goes with the music, unaesthetic is unaesthetic.

as for mao's spiral, i agree that she tilts forward a bit too much in her back--i really do not favor legs hiked up to vertical on spirals--that's not what makes them beautiful--but i have always admired a long held spiral with the arms not waving or flapping. i don't understand what you mean when you said she could have 'done something.' what was lacking or objectionable about mao's spiral? was MK's change of edge spiral lacking because she didn't change her arm position while she spiraled for so-darn-long? not to me. MK didn't even need to change the edge to impress me.

if i may rant a bit. i've always disliked that nicole bobek (a true queen of spirals) would move her arms around and often rest her hand on her hip during her spiral. for me, a good spiral can give the image of flying--i don't need the arm motion, i don't need the skater to do much of anything, because if the skater has a nice edge, decent speed, there's more than enough motion to change the scenery (what the audience member sees) as the skater goes round the rink. unless the camera is zooming in the skater's boobs or boots...

just my opinion :)

Last edited:

mary01

Final Flight
this is sooo ridicoules, Mao should have won eve with the mistakes... eveN through everyone knows that Mao never was the judges favourite and that she always earn every points she gets, this is soo ridicoules when the judges suddenly boost a skater like they are doing... but i would rather have Mao peak at worlds then now!

GOO MAO SHOW THEM WHAT YOU HAVE GOT AT WORLDS!

Last edited:

loren

Rinkside
Judging was really weird...

Ashley's 3-3 getting positive GOEs, Mao getting no 'e' mark on her lutz, etc., etc.,

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Don't post a lot but the whole high altitude thing is ridiculous. High altitude is essentially a fitness test....if you fail that test thats your own problem. Its an excuse and nothing more.

I really don't think altitude has anything to do with what we are seeing.

Elite athletes from sports other than figure skating have had trouble at altitude. Not everyone has the means to train in such conditions in order to prepare for it. It's not necessarily a reflection on their 'fitness' level. They simply are not acclimated to thin air.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

I must again state how horrible the tech panel(s) have been at this event. No edge call on the Lutz and no underrotation call on the toeloop? Those were obvious (the same with Caroline Zhang's Lutz).

Mao is extremely lucky that a stricter caller wasn't at this event because both of her Triple Flips could have gotten a <. I would probably give the benefit of the doubt, but they were both absolutely at least 1/4 turn short. Ditto for her Triple Loop (with which she was gifted by the judges to not receive -GOE for that landing).

This new jump technique is not working for Mao. She is needlessly focusing too hard on the Flip entry when it never received edge calls and rarely received < anyway. As a result of trying to take the entry on a cleaner edge, she is losing height and just making it MORE prone to < calls. That problem seems to have carried over to her Loop, where she is focusing too much on the takeoff rather than just exploding off the ice. In general she also seems to be waiting too long to start rotating.

I'm also highly confused by the changes that have been made to her spins. She is not doing her solo sit spin with the difficult flying entry, dropping the base value by .6, and she changed her final FCCoSp4 to a FCoSp4, which is worth .5 less. I realize she may not be able to do a FCCopSp4 anymore because of the changes to the new rules, although I actually don't think that's true with all of the different variations she is capable of, but there's no reason why she should be throwing those points away on the sit spin. I mean, she's clearly removing the flying entry from the sit spin so that it can be used as a level feature for the FCoSp4, but she could just do a regular CoSp4 with backward entry instead of a flying entry to achieve the level; they're worth the same base value.

And I'm STILL infuriated by the overall choreographic changes that were made to this program towards the end of last season.

This is the worst Mao has ever been at the peak of a season. Not at all what I expected.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
The tech panel was indeed really weird at this event. I found it interesting that they caught Kanako's flutz, but managed not to notice Caroline's, Mao's, or Ashley's.

Wafflecakes

On the Ice
Elite athletes from sports other than figure skating have had trouble at altitude. Not everyone has the means to train in such conditions in order to prepare for it. It's not necessarily a reflection on their 'fitness' level. They simply are not acclimated to thin air.

Ya and whose fault is that? Theirs.....

I have no sympathy for people who do not prepare for competitions.

The fact is that everyone is dealing with the same conditions. If you know you have problems with high elevations its YOUR responsibility to prepare for it. Not to blame it for your performance afterwords.

Last edited:

FTnoona

Final Flight

The fact is that every is dealing with the same conditions. If you know you have problems with high elevations its YOUR responsibility to prepare for it. Not to blame it for your performance afterwords.

Have any of the athletes actually blamed the high elevation for their performances (honest question)? All I've been reading is that posters are understanding that high elevation is difficult to handle and could potentially affect their performances.

evangeline

Record Breaker

The fact is that every is dealing with the same conditions. If you know you have problems with high elevations its YOUR responsibility to prepare for it. Not to blame it for your performance afterwords.

Your callousness is impressive. Not everyone--especially the lower-ranked skaters, many of whom do not receive much funding and were suffering the most at this event--lives in high altitude locations, or can afford to have access to equipment like hypoxic tents. And for quite a few skaters--like Daisuke Takahashi for instance--it was their first time ever competing in such a high altitude location. Moreover, it's not like competing in higher elevations is a commonplace scenario for figure skaters to prepare for. IIRC, the last time an event was held in Colorado Springs was five years ago.

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Your callousness is impressive. Not everyone--especially the lower-ranked skaters, many of whom do not receive much funding and were suffering the most at this event--lives in high altitude locations, or can afford to have access to equipment like hypoxic tents. And for quite a few skaters--like Daisuke Takahashi for instance--it was their first time ever competing in such a high altitude location. Moreover, it's not like competing in higher elevations is a commonplace scenario for figure skaters to prepare for. IIRC, the last time an event was held in Colorado Springs was five years ago.

Thank you evangeline. It seems Wafflecakes missed the part I wrote about not every one having the means to train in such conditions, etc.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Wafflecakes' ignorance is impressive, too. Fitness does not equal acclimatization. There is only one way to acclimatize, and that is to be at altitude and preferably, train and practice there for at least a short while. There is absolutely nothing you can do at lower levels to circumvent this process. Lowland-based skaters (or any other athlete) who don't normally train at altitude but who must compete at an altitude venue, probably best should arrive a couple of weeks early in order to allow their bodies to do this, and to make the breathing adjustments necessary to take in enough oxygen. Obviously, the vast majority of competititors do not have the time or money to be able to park themselves early at Colorado Springs to do this.

skatinginbc

Medalist
I do definitely think Mao should be practicing a 3-3 for the SP. She's giving up points there. For the Long Program, having a Triple-Triple isn't necessary (or even beneficial, unfortunately, with this stupid scoring system of rewarding 2Axel-3Toe more than a real Triple-Triple). This jump layout would be a higher base value than any of the Russian girls:

3Axel
3Flip
3Lutz
--------
2Axel-3Toe
3Flip-2Loop-2Loop
3Loop-2Loop
3Loop
5 loop jumps in a row? I'm not a skater. I wonder if that would bring a high risk of hip injury?

Last edited:

katymay

Medalist
Caroline medaled!! I think Mao is way too thin. She doesn't have the power she used to have. Very happy for Ashley and Caroline!!!

Agree. Mao lacks her former strength, her muscle mass has been eaten away. There is a problem there.

Caroline-what can you say? I never thought she would get much better, but now she has filled out, much better muscle tone and strength, and she is a whole new skater. What fun it has been to watch her emerge this year. I hope Mirai makes a coaching change and comes back next year with the joy and energy I used to love. Caroline is certainly an inspiration, and to be honest, I wish she were going to Worlds instead of Alyssa. Alyssa can be wonderful or...a train wreck.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
indeed Caroline's remarkable comeback from nationals all the way to 4CC was the highlight for me
Ashley is the biggest surprise for 2012 so far.

I dont think we need to discuss Mao's weight as she has went through a lot lately
and didn't she just recover from an eating disorder before

seniorita

Record Breaker
Weeee ashley:yay::yay::hb::hb: I m really rooting for her at worlds, and I m happy for you Trewn, how amazing is for you to see her on the top of podium!!!
Caroline has such an inspiring come back after her problems of growing up, that was a great skate!!!
Mao is not about where she places anymore for me, she is magic, reminds me all the good reasons I became an fs fan:)))

joy k.k

Rinkside
I dont think we need to discuss Mao's weight as she has went through a lot lately
and didn't she just recover from an eating disorder before

Mao never had an eating disorder.

She didn't look as skinny as the last time.
I thought she looked healthier.