Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 LastLast
Results 601 to 615 of 714

Thread: LADIES LONG PROGRAM Thread

  1. #601
    Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,452
    Thanks for the protocol breakdowns, Mrs. P! I was stunned by how fast Cynthia's spins were, and I am very glad to see them rewarded. Ashley's spiral deserves that +2. It's a great spiral to begin with. It also has genius choreography that lets her reenact one of the macabre scenes from the movie in a creative way. Plus, she gets to demonstrate something close to the hip hop dance style of locking. And she gets to do her evil glare during the entire move (as befitting her character). It is the highlight of the program for me.

  2. #602
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    so what happens now ?
    will they find another competition for Phanuef and Lacoste to battle it again ?
    Phanuef won the LP and the difference is just a fraction of a point and Phanuef's disaster sp

  3. #603
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,068
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Skate Canada announced that LaCoste will go to Worlds.

    There goes all my righteous fury.
    That is great news, she deserves to go.

  4. #604
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    so what happens now ?
    will they find another competition for Phanuef and Lacoste to battle it again ?
    Phanuef won the LP and the difference is just a fraction of a point and Phanuef's disaster sp
    Didn't they announce that Lacoste is going to Worlds already?

  5. #605
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    That is great news, she deserves to go.
    Seconded.

  6. #606
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    beijing
    Posts
    1,910
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    so what happens now ?
    will they find another competition for Phanuef and Lacoste to battle it again ?
    Phanuef won the LP and the difference is just a fraction of a point and Phanuef's disaster sp
    Well, given their equal degree of suckitude at this competition, Skate Canada could probably just do a Rock, Paper, Scissors sequence for the pick.

  7. #607
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609

  8. #608
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,221
    I agree with you BOP.

    Additionally, I'd like to add that the judges already know what Mao is capable of, and that includes 7 triple jumps with a FAB 3axel. Thus, that is what they are expecting. She set the bar so high early on that there is no place to go but UP now, including her jump repertoire. Anything else will be seen as "dumbing down", and Mao is a warrior, not a coward, I fully expect her to go for the 3axel every time out from here on in, especially with the Russians coming next season, and Sochi 2014 two years away...

    I have total faith in Mao, she CAN do it!

  9. #609
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by herro View Post
    Didn't they announce that Lacoste is going to Worlds already?
    sorry I was late
    but great for Amelie she rightfully deserves it !

  10. #610
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Uh, Mao skated much better at Nationals and 4CC last season than she did this season.
    I'm talking overall - the grand prix and worlds were a disaster. However, yes things did pick up mid-season at Nationals and 4CC, but she couldn't sustain it to Worlds

    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    She absolutely should not drop the 3Axel either. Especially since it is now allowed for women as the solo axel jump in the SP. That jump sets her apart and she has far more mileage on it than any other woman in the World. She should definitely keep working on it, as it is a huge benefit if she gets the rotation.
    But, the problem is how often does she fully rotate it? Very rarely. And she has been working on it for many seasons now, and she still hardly ever pulls it off. I think she would be far better off focusing on the rest of her skating - a 3x3 combo, the 3Z, her PCS, etc.

    Had she gone into this competition not attempting the 3A in either program and focused on the rest of her skating, she probably would have won. The problem with having the 3A is that she seems to use up all her psychological energy on it and when it doesn't come off, the disappointment seems to leave her deflated in terms of the rest of her program. You therefore end up with mistakes like doubling out on the salchow, etc. Moreover, dropping the 3A would leave with more time to regain a 3x3 combo and to improve her 3L
    Last edited by Mao88; 02-12-2012 at 01:52 AM.

  11. #611
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    . Here's hoping Amelie Lacoste gets two spots back for Canada, so Cynthia can go with her next year. (:^)
    Highly unlikely. You have 3 Japanese, 2 Americans, 2 Russians, 1 Italian who are certain to rank ahead of Amelie. Then you have 2-3 other Europeans, and 1 Chinese who have the technical goods and consistency to contend for top 10. It's not going to happen with Amelie's also-dismal consistency.

  12. #612
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Not necessarily. IMO, Ashley's TR, CH and IN should beat out Alissa's if they both skate their current programs cleanly. Alissa's LP this season is a dud, whereas Black Swan is actually quite decent.

    YMMV for PE.
    I guess we disagree. I like Ashley's Black Swan program, but I don't think it's wonderful. In fact, I think it's strangely constructed in that her moments of faster/more intense skating don't seem to match the crescendos in the music. It is a vast improvement over some of her other programs (especially the very repetitive Polovetsian Dances routine) but, at least IMO, it strikes me as the program of someone who is using a lot of big, gimmicky arm movements to try to create a connection to the music. To me, even though Ashley does all of that arm work, part of the performance still seems like it's inauthentic/ wanting. Sasha Cohen skated to a very similar selection of music and was far better at integrating the choreography and creating an authentic interpretation as far as I'm concerned.

    That doesn't have a lot of bearing on the Alissa vs. Ashley debate. I agree with you on transitions going to Ashley, but I disagree with CH and IN going to Ashley. Alissa's program can be sparse in terms of transitions and the music can be a bit monotonous at times, however, I do think that the arm movements and her connection to the music fit together better than Ashley's do. I also think the structure of the program makes sense. In the event of 2 clean skates I think Czisny and Wagner's CH and IN would be closer than they should be since some judges tend to confuse a lot of choreographical movement for good choreography. Nonetheless, I still think that Alissa should carry the day on PCS.

    I am not sure what YMMV means, so I can't really offer an opinion on that, but I believe the PE mark would go to whoever skated a cleaner program on the day. In the event of two clean skates, my guess is that Alissa's higher quality in the aforementioned areas would help her here. I am unabashedly biased, however. Hopefully both ladies skate cleanly in Nice so this won't have to be a hypothetical debate!

  13. #613
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Your mileage may vary (opinions differ)

  14. #614
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    I'm talking overall - the grand prix and worlds were a disaster. However, yes things did pick up mid-season at Nationals and 4CC, but she couldn't sustain it to Worlds



    But, the problem is how often does she fully rotate it? Very rarely. And she has been working it for many seasons now, and she still hardly ever pulls it off. I think she would be far better off focusing on the rest of her skating - a 3x3 combo, the 3Z, her PCS, etc
    Contraire, my stats show that Mao rotates her 3axel 80% of the time, including the 2010 Olympics.

    In fact I've been waiting for her to do 8 triple jumps, as she is the ONLY lady in the world allowed to do so because of the fact that she *does* have a 3axel in her repertoire.

  15. #615
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    I disagree Mao should drop the 3axel. She clearly isnt a judges favorite at this point, and she has virtually no chance of beating a decent Caroline at Worlds (especialy in Europe) without it.

Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •