Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Whitney Houston is dead?!

Custom Title
    I'm so glad there's a place to talk about this. I think that a death of someone who isn't just prominent but an artist who has an impact on our lives has a measurable effect on us. We feel a connection to the person, not because he/she is well known but because, as seniorita points out, that person may have brought us to tears or inspired us to dream. Losing a great actor or singer often feels like losing a part of our own past. I've noticed that reaction in myself and others quite a few times. I'm old enough to remember when John Lennon was killed. I felt as though something inside myself had been taken away. I wasn't a huge Houston fan, but I deeply admired her voice (three octaves, I believe) and thought she was just beautiful to behold. As with many of you, her high point for me was her amazing performance in The Bodyguard. The camera didn't just love her; it cherished her. Her face seemed to glow. We forget nowadays that this film was also a bit of a pathfinder: it featured an interracial romance without even bringing up the issue. Well, what man wouldn't look at Houston at the peak of her beauty and fall in instant love with her?

The thought of such an astounding talent being wasted is heartbreaking. There's no reason except ill use for her voice to have shredded into tatters by her forties. As a reality check, Susan Boyle was in her mid-forties when she sang on Britain's got Talent. Streisand is just about seventy, and so is Judy Collins, a folk singer I always loved and heard in person recently. Elaine Page, the British stage star, is at least sixty.

Extra heartbreak: Skateluvr, you say that her daughter is also using drugs? That is dreadful. With parents like that, Bobbi C. never had a chance at a decent start in life. I hope she can be rescued. I think you're very likely right about the cause of death: those powerful drugs can turn on you in a minute. They weaken the body and the heart over time, and any dose can become the overdose that ends things by sheer accident.
    Last edited by Olympia; 02-12-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Banned
    Some celebrity gossip and entertainment news source (TMZ) said that she was actually found in the bathtub, where she presumably fell asleep. It's not clear if she was drown or not, up to autopsy to decide. No illicit drugs were found they say. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    !!!when this happened?
    I remember I learnt Mj death and Ammy's from this forum so I guess this is the third one..I feel sad if she is dead so young from drugs etc, I still remember the first MTV video I saw from her, I m your bb tonight and got amazed by her voice
    And then we went with school to watch bodyguard movie and we were all crying.
    Happened yesterday apparently. It's so sad... yes she was a drug user and it *shouldn't* be shocking, but it still is... 48 is not old...

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Some celebrity gossip and entertainment news source (TMZ) said that she was actually found in the bathtub, where she presumably fell asleep. It's not clear if she was drown or not, up to autopsy to decide. No illicit drugs were found they say. Go figure.
    First, I was shocked when I heard the news late last night while driving home. The DJ only said that she passed away with no other details and the internet had very little information last night.

This afternoon, I read that they fould Xanax in her room and there were also stories of her drinking at a pre-Grammy party. The theory is that she fell asleep in the bathtub as a result of the Xanax and alcohol.

Whitney was a major talent and greatly influenced several of today's current stars. RIP, Whitney.

Her career was cut short due to her drug use. Some will blame her ex-husband Bobby Brown, but she was an adult when they married and made her own decisions. Also, they split up years ago and while they reportedly had amicable relationship for their daughter's sake; so, blaming Bobby Brown seems to be out of place IMHO. Whitney was another person who lost her way and her family, friends and fans will miss her.

Hopefully, this will be a wake up call for her daughter if the rumors are true about her partying. It sometimes takes years for someone to find the will and strength to put themselves on the path to recovery (i.e. Robert Downey JR) and some will also relapse after several years (i.e. Demi Moore). I hope she finds the support she needs to avoid the woes of her mother.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Whitney had a million dollar voice, such a gift. I am as saddened as I was when Karen Carpenter and Michael Jackson died.

Custom Title
    Will be watching Grammys to see how they pay tribute to Whitney's voice

only moving moment was J Hudson trying to sing and doing well, she was really wonderful with shortened version of "I will always love you." Loved it when Dolly sang it, then Whitney took it to the stratosphere. People have reall forgotten how beautiful, strong, perfect her voice was. She should have been where Celine/Mariah still are. Oh, the waste-the waste of the gift from God. Still in disbelief. Xanax plus hot bath/jacuzzi is really bad. I am sad everyone will just remember her as a has been drug addict who did it to herself, but it seemed very complicated, her "addiction" as she said on Oprah to Bobby. He was "her drug." What did she see in him, I wondered, but they had much in common, I read.

Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    Her career was cut short due to her drug use. Some will blame her ex-husband Bobby Brown, but she was an adult when they married and made her own decisions. Also, they split up years ago and while they reportedly had amicable relationship for their daughter's sake; so, blaming Bobby Brown seems to be out of place IMHO. Whitney was another person who lost her way and her family, friends and fans will miss her.
    Exactly. That is not to say she wasn't amazingly gifted. Some of her music is still on the best ever list... but to blame all her troubles on others - or one other - is to totally discredit her ability as an adult to make her own decision...

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    only moving moment was J Hudson trying to sing and doing well, she was really wonderful with shortened version of "I will always love you."
    I thought Jennifer did an excellent job under the circumstances. Matter of fact she gave me goosebumps. You could see she was struggling to maintain her composure.

ITA. Jennifer, who is one of my favorites, did a beautiful job with her tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    I thought Jennifer did an excellent job under the circumstances. Matter of fact she gave me goosebumps. You could see she was struggling to maintain her composure.
    100% agree..... I think the only reason she managed to finish was because of the support of the audience.

Sad to say that there is no one out there with the voice of Whitney Houston right now. Jennifer Hudson comes close, but not nearly as great.

http://silencenogood.net/whitney-hou...w-will-i-know/ Just listening to this track without instruments reminds me of the clarity and brilliance of her voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I'm so glad there's a place to talk about this. I think that a death of someone who isn't just prominent but an artist who has an impact on our lives has a measurable effect on us. We feel a connection to the person, not because he/she is well known but because, as seniorita points out, that person may have brought us to tears or inspired us to dream. Losing a great actor or singer often feels like losing a part of our own past. I've noticed that reaction in myself and others quite a few times. I'm old enough to remember when John Lennon was killed. I felt as though something inside myself had been taken away. I wasn't a huge Houston fan, but I deeply admired her voice (three octaves, I believe) and thought she was just beautiful to behold. As with many of you, her high point for me was her amazing performance in The Bodyguard. The camera didn't just love her; it cherished her. Her face seemed to glow. We forget nowadays that this film was also a bit of a pathfinder: it featured an interracial romance without even bringing up the issue. Well, what man wouldn't look at Houston at the peak of her beauty and fall in instant love with her?

The thought of such an astounding talent being wasted is heartbreaking. There's no reason except ill use for her voice to have shredded into tatters by her forties. As a reality check, Susan Boyle was in her mid-forties when she sang on Britain's got Talent. Streisand is just about seventy, and so is Judy Collins, a folk singer I always loved and heard in person recently. Elaine Page, the British stage star, is at least sixty.

Extra heartbreak: Skateluvr, you say that her daughter is also using drugs? That is dreadful. With parents like that, Bobbi C. never had a chance at a decent start in life. I hope she can be rescued. I think you're very likely right about the cause of death: those powerful drugs can turn on you in a minute. They weaken the body and the heart over time, and any dose can become the overdose that ends things by sheer accident.
    I remember well when John was shot. It seemed the end to my hopes of a Beatle reunion. I was 13 maybe when they broke up, and we were all devastated. They were the band of my life, I might still have my Beatles scrapbook. It is very sad and shocking to lose these artists like MJ, Amy and Whitney because music touches us deeply. More than any one song of Houston's it was her voice. If you want to hear the penultimate version of the Star Spangled banner, only look to Whitney on Youtube. We love you still Nippy, you must be an some amazing choir I hope and pray. And I hope people praya for her daughter who is completely destroyed, having had two 911 visits. This little girl is in for such greif. I wish I could just hug her and ask her not to do any more drugs. :( Grammy song from JHud was amazing- how did she hold herself together? Adele's voice is saved by surgery. She won 6. True Irony here, yes?

Custom Title
    I did seek out Whitney's rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner, and I agree that it is spectacular. Not only does her voice soar, but her face and body language show such jubilation as she performs. At that moment she was the Voice of America. I'm not always fond of the songs she sang--power ballads aren't generally my favorite kind of music--but her voice itself was lovely, stunning. One article referred to it as "majestic," and I think that's the word for it. A million-dollar voice, as Dee said earlier. What an instrument!

Skateluvr, I wish you could hug her daughter, too. You're probably more solid and capable than any of the people who supposedly have been responsible for her care.

Jennifer Hudson did a splendid job on the Grammys. She gave the song just the right amount of power, and just the right amount of restraint. She echoed Whitney's interpretation but did not imitate it, instead putting the stamp of her personality on the song. No one could have done a better job.

You're right that musicians affect us in a profound way, making their deaths personally distressing for us. To this day, if I hear certain solo songs sung by John Lennon, I tear up. Judy Garland can do that to me, too. Thank goodness for people like Fred Astaire! I only smile when I hear him sing--no sadness at all. (Yes, I am an old movie buff.)

I agree Olympia, that Clive gave her power ballads and anthem type songs but how not showcase that voice for all it was. 3 octaves you said? Is that rare? I loved her vibratto, if that is correct word. They are flying flags in jersey at half mast! Controversial. I kind of agree it should be for former governors, senators, presidents, but she meant a lot. You know, she started burning out quite young. She really sang so much from 18, 19 for 10 years. i can't help but think she was a gospel/ Rand B lady who Clive packaged for maximum money and crossover appeal. It is such a shame she did not treasure singing.

imagine preferring Tv/reefer and Bobbi Brown. I heard he isn't welcome at her funeral. I can understand that. The fame monster. Gaga is not a drug addict, like Madonna, the fame is all the drug she needs. Not much talent to me, but she is wise for her age.

Oh, well. Seeing McCartney married for 3rd time, still writing, "Imagine" were John and Paul still a team, what older age gems they might write.

Custom Title
    There's a thought: a few more decades of Lennon-McCartney gems. Gotta love it! I did love the song McCartney wrote for his new wife and performed here, "My Valentine." What did you think of it? She seems very nice, the new Mrs. McCartney. I'm glad he seems to have found someone steady and kind. He deserves the best, our Paul.

Yes, three octaves (at which you can sing each note along the range with fluidity, strength, and control, not squeal or screech) is impressive. Houston's voice is shown at its best with that National Anthem performance. The Star-Spangled Banner is actually one of the toughest of the world's national anthems to sing, because of its wide range, from the depth of "Oh, say can you see" to the height of "And the rocket's red glare" and "O'er the land of the free" (to which Whitney even adds an ornamental higher note). Spectacular.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast