Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Whitney Houston is dead?!

Olympia I liked the McCartney song. He has always written his wives love songs and she is stunning, rich, younger-what a life they have. Lifetime has 'The Body Guard" on and couldn't resist. I think Costner was a little in love with the young Whitney. It is amazing how she starred in a film with no acting experience and really did so well. I saw a bit of the funeral but could not watch. It was way more subdued and smaller and less showbizzy than that extravaganza the Jackson family promoted. I think it was exactly what she would have wished, with the exception of No Aretha, for health reasons, I guess. Jessie jackson looked very old and very sad. As the defacto minister to the black comminity, he has seen so much of this in the music/acting industry.

Cissy looks terrible, and from what I read, Whitney seemed reckless to the point of maybe planning this. She was broke, and Clive Davis was paying her bills, as Whitney supported many, including her ex Bobby. She was very generous they say. It is so long ago that she was the blockbuster star, but she threw it away early in life. I see the waste, and the Voice that could have matured and done duets, more movies like the "Preacher's Wife." I love Gospel so I was touched by the choir. It was very genuine, and in Church-no celebrity show-offs. I think she had many people love her but she was her own boss. She detroyed her voice, but it was apparently devastating to her when it failed her. I think maybe it was not a coicidence it all happened Grammy week. To see all the young talent...she thought she could bring her voice back and was trying, but she was in party town. I really think Hollywood has daily horrible tragedies and I am not a fan of most of the actors/actresses and the whole celebrity obsession in America.

I know those doctors who gave her all those sedatives will pay some day. I don't get a buzz from anything and am not an addictive personality, but I can certainly see she did not always "get" that she was not indestructable. Bobby Brown has cleaned up his act, ironically, and got out alive. I am concerned for the daughter. The grandma is old and broken and her mother was her whole life. Well, I think the stories will stop which is good. I pray God helps all who ask. The Houstons have amazing faith in Christ, and they are at peace. I wish I was so sure.

Actually as far as they can tell she did not doctor/prescription shop. It wasn't like Jackson or Elvis. She did have an addiction, and they should have been more cautious, but as far as media reports have been concerned there was nothing truly out of line.

It was a great - rather long - service. Kevin Costner gave probably the best rememberance for her. I did not listen to Jesse Jackson, I needed to shower at somepoint lol. That they walked her casket out to "I Will Always Love You" was perfect.

I, too, just watched the Bodyguard... I forgot how much I love that movie. I adore Kevin Costner. I need to add it to my DVD collection.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    It was a great - rather long - service. Kevin Costner gave probably the best rememberance for her.
    I thought so too Toni, espceially about the makeup. I love the stories he told Whitney about drinking the grape juice after the church services.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    I did not listen to Jesse Jackson, I needed to shower at somepoint lol.
    Toni, I dont think Jesse Jackson spoke during the services.

That they walked her casket out to "I Will Always Love You" was perfect.
    OMG, when those pall bearers lifted her casket onto their shoulders and "I Will Always Love You" started that was very touching.

I continue to go back to my church that was once an affluent part of the city and now is part of the inner city. I go to the service that has gospel singers. Our church consists of 3/4 white and 1/4 black and other ethnic people. Anyhow when they have church services for a black member of the community as they process out the choir sings "When The Saints Go Marching In".....I love that.

I, too, just watched the Bodyguard... I forgot how much I love that movie. I adore Kevin Costner. I need to add it to my DVD collection.
    I watched it too.

I love the stories he told Whitney about drinking the grape juice after the church services.
    that was actually a story about himself. But it was a good story. He was sharing a few of her favorite stories he'd shared with her as they bonded. Their common bond was that they both grew up in their local churches. And both were Baptist (something I have in common with both of them - and Brad Pitt, too!)

Custom Title
    that was actually a story about himself. But it was a good story. He was sharing a few of her favorite stories he'd shared with her as they bonded. Their common bond was that they both grew up in their local churches. And both were Baptist (something I have in common with both of them - and Brad Pitt, too!)
    I didn't watch the funeral but did see Costner's speech by video later on, because I'd read such good things about it. What a deeply moving, generous, compassionate eulogy. That story about Whitney being anxious at her screen test and putting on the wrong make-up was the perfect story to tell at this moment. It reminded me of how much I love Costner. I don't know of any stories behind his time acting with her (and don't want to know), but certainly they felt a chemistry that they were able to convey in the film. Man, she was such a natural in front of the camera as well--the way Jennifer Hudson turned out to be in Dreamgirls. I caught part of the film last night on Lifetime and was so glad to see it again. There was a wonderful balance between the male and female leads, wasn't there? It wasn't one of those films where the guy was always right and the girl was an unfathomable object, but neither was it a movie where the guy was an afterthought. I loved that it ended so ambiguously, too. Because her life was in danger in the film, some of the lines were almost unbearably poignant, much too close to life to be comfortable. When it came out, Whitney was still Ms. Clean, and the element of danger that her character's lifestyle conveyed wasn't something we associated with her. Now, alas, the destructive element in the movie seems prophetic.

Kostner is a master of underacting. He manages to portray so much with a look and a gesture. I think he also has a great eye for potential talent. If he's the one who suggested and stood by Houston, he gave the viewing public a tremendous gift, because the camera simply adored her. In Dances with Wolves, he also gave us an actor who became a favorite of mine thereafter, Graham Greene--not to mention Mary McDonnell, who's shown in Battlestar Galactica, Passion Fish, and The Closer that she wasn't just a pretty ingenue.

As for Houston...damn, everything she was makes her actions over the last fifteen years or so even more painful. She had more than most people have in three lifetimes: an unparallelled voice, literally the beauty of a fashion model, and even acting ability. Any one of those gifts alone would have made her a star in that field, and she had them all. And she threw herself away in the garbage. What an agonizing thought. Skateluvr, when you mention how Bobby Brown cleaned himself up, but she couldn't manage it, I thought about Eric Clapton and Alice Ormsby-Gore. In the sixties, supposedly consumed by unrequited love for another woman, Clapton went on a self-destructive binge lasting several years, involving whatever drugs people take at such times. Along with him for the ride was Alice Ormsby-Gore, the teenaged daughter of an Earl, no less. She loved him and thought he loved her. He got her into drugs. Later he fixed himself up, found several other women (including the one he thought he had loved all along, Beatle wife Pattie Boyd Harrison), had several children here and there (I use that cold phrase deliberately), and made good money writing his autobiography and becoming an elder statesman of rock. Alice Ormsby-Gore never cleaned up. She died broke and alone of an overdose in a rented room. I don't know a stronger way to state the moral of these two stories except to say that the wild side is only glamorous at the point of entry.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Olympia
    I know those doctors who gave her all those sedatives will pay some day. I don't get a buzz from anything and am not an addictive personality, but I can certainly see she did not always "get" that she was not indestructable. Bobby Brown has cleaned up his act, ironically, and got out alive. I am concerned for the daughter. The grandma is old and broken and her mother was her whole life. Well, I think the stories will stop which is good. I pray God helps all who ask. The Houstons have amazing faith in Christ, and they are at peace. I wish I was so sure.
    Rumor is alcohol and Xanax put her to sleep. I don't if Xanax by itself is a sedative, but it definitely is when combined with alcohol. Xanax is an anti-anxiety medicine. Based upon what Aretha said during an interview (that Whitney's tour in Europe was so poorly received), Whitney probably took them to get over anxiety and depression - especially if she was going to perform at Clive Davis's pre-Grammy party.

Until the autopsy results are in, we're all just speculating. It could've also been a stroke or heart attack, etc that had nothing to do with drugs or alchohol.

Also, the rumors about being broke are not confirmed, just speculation. Whitney's house in NJ has been up for sale and the price was dropped the day after her death. Even if she wasn't in debt, with the real estate market the way it is and because there is no source of income, it would make sense to sell the house quickly to avoid having to pay real estate taxes, etc.

Whitney may have supported Bobby in the past, but I would think that stopped when they divorced. He's touring now; so, he's making some money. He's also engaged to be married to the mother of his youngest child. As with any star, she did have an entourage and her SIL was her manager. Also, she likely supported her mother....

I thought the service was very heartfelt and true to Whitney. People were there as her friends, not for the spectacle. Really enjoyed Kevin Costner and the Winan's.

Yes, i too love the Winans-always have-heard their story-so sweet and costner, too, was clearly moved. How could he not fall in love with her? So sweet before all the drugs changed her and the diva stuff that comes with the mad, crazy, fame. I would have lost it to hear thhat ballad sung as she was carried out. I read Zanax, lorazepam, valium all there (and we know she drank plenty acc to many sources). I suspect she got them from different docs in different states as I think all are benzo. Zanax is a bit different chemically but very close.

I heard Cece I think in person (big family-not sure which sister) long ago and she blew the roof off. It was a funraiser and me and my reluctant bf were only whites there, but I worked in a poor multi-cultural agency, so I felt just fine! It was awesome-she lost her dress and track-plane thing and performed with just her pianist. Her voice was as powerful as Whitney, and I wondered why she wasn't super famous, but they do gospel, never did the crossover thing far as i know.

"I believe in you and me" will foever be my fave Houston song. I also listen to and watch her last single from the 2009 album. "I look to you." Beautiful, lower register gone but she looked so well, like Dionne actually, and it seems now it was meant to be her last song to us, with the lyrics and the light from heaven. Just beautiful, the dress, the image she had when Clive was in charge. So mature, but still beautiful. i will remember her this way. And it uplifts me, after watching her sad tour as I did online. In the stuidio, she was still pretty good. Tour was a sad end, for sure.

I never knew that Eric Clapton story. As I have heard said and do believe, "Women mourn and men replace."
    Last edited by skateluvr; 02-19-2012 at 11:08 PM.

All I've read is what heyang has repeated. Alch. and Xanax and that she was NOT doctor shopping.

I wonder how Sparkle will do in the theater in August....... they might push the release date forward..

Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    I wonder how Sparkle will do in the theater in August....... they might push the release date forward..
    I thought they said they were sticking with August?

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    that was actually a story about himself. But it was a good story.
    Looking back at the way I wrote that did lead one to believe that I was talking about Whitney but I knew the story was about himself. I think the point he was trying to make was that they both were a couple of hellyuns.

There is a report this morning from Mike Evans celebrity reporter that Bobbi Kristina got high after her mom's funderal...how sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia
    In Dances with Wolves, he also gave us an actor who became a favorite of mine thereafter, Graham Greene--not to mention Mary McDonnell, who's shown in Battlestar Galactica, Passion Fish, and The Closer that she wasn't just a pretty ingenue.
    He also took another risk with the young man that played Wind in His Hair, Rodney Grant. Rodney is an Omaha Indian, grew up in Macy Nebraska and had plenty of demons himself. He was wonderful in the part, and I appreciated Kevin so much for giving us that wonderful story and taking those risks.

All I've read is what heyang has repeated. Alch. and Xanax and that she was NOT doctor shopping.
    Toxicoloy will show whatever..I heard the 3 meds-never said she was doc shopping, but having homes in a few states makes it easier.

Dee reports her Krissy got high after...the girl is in mt every prayer. What I did see was so moving. Witney had many people who adored her, It was meant to be. But hard to accept even for a fan.

Bobbi Kris says she plans to sing and act like her mother. HMMM. This girl cannot sing and has her father's looks. And talk about the worst career for one with substance abuse issues. Amazing.

Custom Title
    As I understand the cause of death, she probably didn't overdose at all, which makes it extra pathetic. She just took enough of something to stupefy herself and then fell asleep in the bath. And she didn't realize she was trying to breathe underwater. More distressing: there was a whole host of people on the other side of the bathroom door, and they didn't realize she was drowning. It's perfectly natural that things happened that way. Who goes into a bathroom to check up on an adult? It's considered embarrassing and very bad manners. Then when there was no sound for half an hour or so, someone might get anxious and check, but no one would have presumed to supervise a grown woman taking a bath. Just awful to contemplate in every aspect.

Anyone watch Oprah's special with Bobbi K and the Houston family. It was on yesterday. The interview with Whitney's manager and sister-in-law Pat is heartwrenching and quite informative on what actually had happened that day. One thing I did not know was that Whitney was found face down in the water. Oprah makes this remark in a voice over as the interview continues with Pat after commercial.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast