Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Dance Sunday 4:45 PM EST

I honestly think they should have sent Hubbell/Donahue to Worlds but given Lynn/Logan a chance at 4CCs, although I guess the argument could be made that Hubbell/Donahue need to show themselves again in front of the international judges before Worlds.

Really liked O'Brien and Merriman, maybe they can move up due to the falls of the previous two teams.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I love Frank Sinatra as much as the next person but he didn't fit with the swing music.

As much as I love Tanith's commentary, I kinda miss Peter's today... when the skating is this labored, it's nice to hear someone just get more and more frustrated so that I don't have to lol

Custom Title
    Gregory totally swore after he saw they were in 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoates View Post
    His fall looked more like a tracking issue than anything. Altitude is not everything and I think we are all making a bit too much out of it. It's only one condition they have to deal with. For the Americans and Canadians, I think the bigger issue is that this event is always way too close to their own nationals. It's hard to peak every one to two weeks. As for H/D, they are really being asked to step up for being together such a short time. Those sort of errors are inevitable, another argument in favor of Lynn and Logan.
    But a lot of athletes outside of the Canadians/Americans are mentioning it. So far, Americans have over half the medals and they have the least time from Nationals to prepare.

Custom Title
    Australians are only in 4th place still.

whoops too bad about that lift.

I agree with Tanith, the choreography was disconnected with the music...

Custom Title
    Yeah, I don't see how you watch the Chinese immediately after the skate and not think the altitude was contributing.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    What a total dud of a program for this Chinese team that was so great yesterday (at least she was). They deserve better everything - music, choreo and definitely costumes.

You see why more ladies don't skate with their hair down. (Even though her hairdo was lovely.) There's enough to worry about without being blinded by your own hair.

Custom Title
    The Chinese really are struggling all except for Sui/Han looked like they were about to pass out in the K&C.

Custom Title
    Toni...what are you watching on/or for whom is Tanith commentating? thanks!

ETA never mind, I'm guessing it's universal sports as that is the one I don't have access to at the moment :sheesh:
    Last edited by emma; 02-12-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Their choreography had some nice ideas. I particularly like her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Gregory totally swore after he saw they were in 4th.

But a lot of athletes outside of the Canadians/Americans are mentioning it. So far, Americans have over half the medals and they have the least time from Nationals to prepare.
    And that speaks to my post prior to the last one. Americans tend to train their programs with full run throughs and multiple run throughs. Charlie has severe asthma and managed to look in decent shape compared to other skaters. Mine is not as severe as his, but it does affect me when I exert myself. You don't need to train at altitude in order to prepare for altitude. Just do more intense anaerobic training before hand. When I was in college, we played two other colleges in tennis who were based in the mountains while our school was just a bit above sea level. The difference was noticeable when we played away matches at their schools, not just because of endurance, but because the thin air makes the ball fly faster and longer. So we did lots more distance running than normal sometimes with light weights, lots of jump rope for long sustained periods, and we practiced with old tennis balls that bounced lower to mimic the conditions. It's entirely possible to prepare for these conditions and to perform well in them. Of course if your country does have high altitude faciliities, it makes sense to train in them if possible. Besides, Colorado Springs has hosted major events going back to the 50s. They are not new at this.

Custom Title
    This is the second time Mitch Islam has looked completely off balance. He was like this at Canadians a couple of weeks ago (although he didn't make as many mistakes there as he did this time). I'm wondering if something is up with his health. It looked like more than the altitude to me. It's a shame they never got the chance to do this program full out. I think it would have been really stunning.

I was impressed by the Americans, in spite of the fall. They look powerful and have a really great connection for a new team.

Custom Title
    Maybe, but in the end, the quality of much of the skating has been disappointing.

More backstage stuff. I'm always afraid someone is gonna just randomly fall while walking on their skates.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast