Free Dance Sunday 4:45 PM EST | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Free Dance Sunday 4:45 PM EST

emma

Record Breaker
Toni...what are you watching on/or for whom is Tanith commentating? thanks!

ETA never mind, I'm guessing it's universal sports as that is the one I don't have access to at the moment :sheesh:

Last edited:

jcoates

Medalist
Gregory totally swore after he saw they were in 4th.

But a lot of athletes outside of the Canadians/Americans are mentioning it. So far, Americans have over half the medals and they have the least time from Nationals to prepare.

And that speaks to my post prior to the last one. Americans tend to train their programs with full run throughs and multiple run throughs. Charlie has severe asthma and managed to look in decent shape compared to other skaters. Mine is not as severe as his, but it does affect me when I exert myself. You don't need to train at altitude in order to prepare for altitude. Just do more intense anaerobic training before hand. When I was in college, we played two other colleges in tennis who were based in the mountains while our school was just a bit above sea level. The difference was noticeable when we played away matches at their schools, not just because of endurance, but because the thin air makes the ball fly faster and longer. So we did lots more distance running than normal sometimes with light weights, lots of jump rope for long sustained periods, and we practiced with old tennis balls that bounced lower to mimic the conditions. It's entirely possible to prepare for these conditions and to perform well in them. Of course if your country does have high altitude faciliities, it makes sense to train in them if possible. Besides, Colorado Springs has hosted major events going back to the 50s. They are not new at this.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
This is the second time Mitch Islam has looked completely off balance. He was like this at Canadians a couple of weeks ago (although he didn't make as many mistakes there as he did this time). I'm wondering if something is up with his health. It looked like more than the altitude to me. It's a shame they never got the chance to do this program full out. I think it would have been really stunning.

I was impressed by the Americans, in spite of the fall. They look powerful and have a really great connection for a new team.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Maybe, but in the end, the quality of much of the skating has been disappointing.

More backstage stuff. I'm always afraid someone is gonna just randomly fall while walking on their skates.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I love the backstage cam. So skaters just stand around and look totally uncomfortable. And yet I can't get enough of it.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Kaitlyn is singing along and rocking out to Britney Spears, haha :rock:

EDIT: She was. Has her game face on now!

tulosai

Record Breaker
Am I the only one who thinks that V/M and D/W TOTALLY not acknowledging each other the SLIGHTEST bit is a little awkward? I get that it's a competition and all that ( I very much do) but seriously?

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Am I the only one who thinks that V/M and D/W TOTALLY not acknowledging each other the SLIGHTEST bit is a little awkward? I get that it's a competition and all that ( I very much do) but seriously?

Reading too much into it. Even each team's individual members barely acknowledge each other. There's also almost no acknowledgement between The Shibs and V/M and D/W either.

auser

Record Breaker
Was that Charlie White coughing away during zamboni break? ... that doesn't sound altitude only related

tulosai

Record Breaker
Reading too much into it. Even each team's individual members barely acknowledge each other. There's also almost no acknowledgement between The Shibs and V/M and D/W either.

Yeah I saw that, and think you are right on second thought, though it looked like Maia was smiling at Meryl for sure though Meryl did not smile back. It's all good though :) I'm just looking forward to seeing the skates at this point.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

It seems all skaters are like that at competitions, being tense, serious, and totally focused on whatever they should. It's different after the competitions.

100yen

Medalist
Is it just me or does Alex Shibutani look like he is sick? :no: He was the last one to get on the ice, not looking so well, and coughing during the warm-up.
Hope he is alright!!

missysays

On the Ice
Wonder if Alex Shibutani is ok? It took him a long time to come out for warmup and he looks not well.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Meryl and Charlie (particularly Meryl) look a little out of breath to me already. I hope the long will treat them ok.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Weaver and Poje barely interacted and hung out on their own, and they're with a different coach. I think this is just skater etiquette.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Alex twitted jokingly about breathing as soon as he arrived. Pretty funny and people played along. Who know if he was half serious?

It was reported earlier that Dances were having difficulties while putting on brave faces.

100yen

Medalist
Uh oh Alex just ran off the ice looking very nauseous :no::no::no::no::no:

If Alex feels like he needs to WD I hope they do.