Free Dance Sunday 4:45 PM EST | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Free Dance Sunday 4:45 PM EST

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
They missed one lift completely (no levels, likely) and the twizzles. Then they kept running into each other during the step sequences/transitions.

Can we blame Colorado for Donahue's stumble and fall? He was huffing and puffing at the end, unlike her. I get the feeling he's going to get an earful from her when they leave the arena.

lmarie086

Medalist
Why did they even want to hold 4CC in Colorado Springs? I get that it's the USFSA headquarters and it's a nice arena, but man, if it makes the skaters struggle like that it really isn't worth it. I'm sure they could find other arenas in the US to host it. Bummer about Donohue, he's been really consistent all season, which is what makes me believe it really could be the altitude-among other examples, of course.

Better here than at Worlds, though.

Last edited:

jcoates

Medalist
His fall looked more like a tracking issue than anything. Altitude is not everything and I think we are all making a bit too much out of it. It's only one condition they have to deal with. For the Americans and Canadians, I think the bigger issue is that this event is always way too close to their own nationals. It's hard to peak every one to two weeks. As for H/D, they are really being asked to step up for being together such a short time. Those sort of errors are inevitable, another argument in favor of Lynn and Logan.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So far in every discipline so many disaster skates yet all of decided champions and medalists still dazzled us with exciting highest level performances. Such a contrast between the very elites and the rest! It's like the arena is suddenly pumped with oxygen just for the last groups.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I honestly think they should have sent Hubbell/Donahue to Worlds but given Lynn/Logan a chance at 4CCs, although I guess the argument could be made that Hubbell/Donahue need to show themselves again in front of the international judges before Worlds.

Really liked O'Brien and Merriman, maybe they can move up due to the falls of the previous two teams.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
As much as I love Tanith's commentary, I kinda miss Peter's today... when the skating is this labored, it's nice to hear someone just get more and more frustrated so that I don't have to lol

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Gregory totally swore after he saw they were in 4th.

His fall looked more like a tracking issue than anything. Altitude is not everything and I think we are all making a bit too much out of it. It's only one condition they have to deal with. For the Americans and Canadians, I think the bigger issue is that this event is always way too close to their own nationals. It's hard to peak every one to two weeks. As for H/D, they are really being asked to step up for being together such a short time. Those sort of errors are inevitable, another argument in favor of Lynn and Logan.

But a lot of athletes outside of the Canadians/Americans are mentioning it. So far, Americans have over half the medals and they have the least time from Nationals to prepare.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I agree with Tanith, the choreography was disconnected with the music...

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yeah, I don't see how you watch the Chinese immediately after the skate and not think the altitude was contributing.

What a total dud of a program for this Chinese team that was so great yesterday (at least she was). They deserve better everything - music, choreo and definitely costumes.

You see why more ladies don't skate with their hair down. (Even though her hairdo was lovely.) There's enough to worry about without being blinded by your own hair.