Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Free Dance Sunday 4:45 PM EST

Custom Title
    Well the dance competition did not disappoint! Kudos to all the athletes cuz the conditions were not easy - As for the results, it will make for an interesting worlds!

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Hehe, Mathman, isn't it a rule on here that people aren't allowed to post links to skating websites that compete with Goldenskate?

Custom Title
    Wow, what a great night!

My first thought was that D/W's FD mark was too low, although I did think V/M might take it this time (they seemed to have a better skate tonight). Scores make sense now with the protocols. It's so close between these two, that the difference will always come down to levels, and today V/M nailed them while D/W did not. It was so great to see v/M finally get the levels they've been struggling with all season. I don't think this changes anything going into worlds, though. Unless someone makes a big mistake, the world champions will be whichever of the teams that gets the most level 4's. The PCS and GOE's are always really close. I'm really happy to see V/M win 4CC again, though. They haven't been healthy at a 4CC since the last time they won (07), so it was nice to see them get that title back. Worlds is gonna be very interesting...

I was also beyond thrilled to see W/P knock it out of the park yet again. It's still unbelievable to me that they've gone from a team prone to disasters in every skate to one that hardly ever makes a mistake in only a year's time. They must be working insanely hard. This FD is a real gem, and they nailed the performance again here. So great! I thought the Shibs skated really well, too, but seeing their program after W/P's really hilighted how simplistic and juniorish they look compared to the Canadians, and that was nicely reflected in the scores (as it was at the GP final). Alex Shibutani scared me, though. He looked like he was going to be sick. I can't say enough how cruel I think it is to hold an event at altitude like this.

I was actually plesently surprised by P/I's levels. 2's on the footwork (not bad considering how tough the panel was) and 4's on everything else, in spite of the fact that pretty much every element was shaky after Islam's fall. Their scores make a lot more sense now that I know they got 0 points for the twizzles. That's like 6 or 7 points right there, not to mention the deduction for the fall and the hits that they took on the GOE's for the shakiness in the other elements. It's been painful to watch their confiednce get knocked down over and over this season, though. I really hope that they go home, take their time getting healthy, and try to put this nightmare year behind them.

Custom Title
    Small medal awards for Ice Dance now on radiocanada

Custom Title
    This poster has the top four FD. Warning: Italian commentators NEVER STOP TALKING.

Custom Title
    Meryl looks so beautiful! Charlie could not make it to the small medals award because he is in 'doping control' (sp) not sure what this is?

Custom Title
    Meryl got two medals since Charlie is not there and two watches for the same reason :D. She is so cute and petite.

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetskates1 View Post
    Meryl looks so beautiful! Charlie could not make it to the small medals award because he is in 'doping control' (sp) not sure what this is?
    Haha...it means he got selected for drug/steroid testing. I'm sure he'll do fine.

As 100yen says, the ISU conducts random drug sampling on all the skaters. Charlie's name was drawn and he had to give a urine sample.

Every once in a while a skater takes some kind of cold medicine that contains a forbidden chemical, then they get in trouble. It is kind of a problem, because if a skater gets sick he can't take a lot of ordinary over-the-counter or prescription drugs for it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    Were you able to find out what was wrong with Alex Shibutani? If he was alright now?
    Yes, Alex has a viral infection. He didn't show up in the mixed zone for a comment and we were all worried about his condition. He says it should not affect his training when he gets home. (I think he should take a week off to rest before going back to the rink. Worlds is still more than a month away.)

Custom Title
    Cute ... Charlie showed up "Sorry I'm late" ... Meryl hands one of the medals she is wearing back to him.

Custom Title
    Reporter says she's been a long-time singles and pairs fanatic but Charlie and Meryl are slowly sucking her in. She asked Meryl to let her know what it is that the judges are looking for in ice dancing.

Meryl responded that there are a variety of elements that the judges are looking for. They choose different elements depending on what goes better with their music. The elements they choose vary. For example Charlie and her have 4 lifts in their FS while Virtue/Moir have three. ect.. The judges grade each element by using GOE.

What advice do you have for aspiring skaters?

Moir: Make sure that you love what you do and that you are skating for the right reasons.
    Meryl: With skating you get to do things that you do not get to do in every day life. Really enjoy it because when else will you get to do it.
    Kaitlin: Anything is possible, believe in yourself. never stop believing.

How long each day do your practice?
    Moir: 3.5-4.5 on ice plus 2 hours off the ice doing ballet. same for meryl. same for weaver/poje.

How do you balance school and skating?
    Tessa thinks it allows you to stay sane and socialize. Education has always been important.
    Meryl believes that taking a year off to focus on skating was pivotal showed them how important school was to maintaining the balance and staying happy.
    Charlie just got to the mini medal ceremony.
    Poje believes same thing.
    Weaver believes that it is a great diversion.

How long do you spend learning one routine?

Moir: Just learning the choreography takes 3-4 weeks but the program is constantly growing. They start in May and start competing in September. It takes about a year to master a program.

Who do you look up to? Who are your role models in the field?
    Tessa: Looked up to Shae Lynn Bourne and Kratz
    Meryl: Skaters outside the ice dance discipline. Charlie has always looked up to Todd Eldredge up to Kristi Yamaguchi and Scott Hamilton.
    Kaitlin: Shae Lynn Bourne and Kratz and Kurt Browning.
    Last edited by sweetskates1; 02-12-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Custom Title
    At every championship and Olympics ISU requires one of the medalists to go to "doping control " which means pee in a bottle to send to a drug testing agency probably here locally to check to make sure there are no illegal drugs/drug enhancement products in his system.

Custom Title
    Thanks very much for clarifying the whole "doping" thing.

Custom Title
    Thanks to everyone who has been reporting on the results, post-competition press conference, and so forth.

Jcoates, your suggestion about American and Canadian Nationals being moved to earlier in the year makes logistical sense, but since that change would step on the feet of football, I fear that pigs will fly before it happens.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast