Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 260

Thread: Free Dance Sunday 4:45 PM EST

  1. #241
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    45
    Beautiful dances for the top four.
    Interesting how Virtue/Moir actually won free dance in both face-to-face competitions, GPF and 4CC. And they won by technical score, while Davis/White both times got higher PCS.
    Judges definitely love Das Fledermaus: a spot on Funny Face couldn't beat in program components a laboured Fledermaus.
    I think the levels were right: I for first noticed a lack of complete rotation in D/W spin. But I don't understand the level 3 twizzles.

    Generally, I am not totally persuaded of level calls.
    Let's take the Short dance at this competition.
    Looking at the protocols, only Madison Hubbel and Xiaoyang Yu, the Chinese lady, did correctly the chocktaw in the Rhumba sequence.
    I'm a bit perplexed. Eight of the world class ice dancers attended the competition, and none of them did perfectly the difficult choctaw; only two second tier ladies succeeded.
    Well, everything is possible, but I see some randomness.

  2. #242
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    17,117
    Yes, I'm puzzled by the twizzle call, especially.

  3. #243
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    3,162
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Yes, I'm puzzled by the twizzle call, especially.
    I'm glad it's not just me who didn't understand about the twizzles. I actually went and looked up the levels to try to better understand but was unable to see why they were called level 3/

  4. #244
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    81
    I stand by my right to express my immediate reactions to behind the scenes footage. If I’m wrong - fine, but last time I checked, discussion boards and forums on the internet are just that - places for opinion and discussion, and free expression (unless it’s profane). They are not academic conferences or the Washington Post. I don’t have to cite my sources or worry about expressing just an impression unsupported by facts. I was just watching some behind-the-scenes footage that is rarely accessible to me, and it just SEEMED that something was different. If it’s the altitude or other reasons (like other posters said - waiting for Charlie or whatever) that caused what I saw as some tension in body language- I guess I was wrong. I rarely post anyway, and am hardly involved in gossip or intrigues, I just commented on my IMPRESSION of some moments. Sorry! If you think my comment was “gossip” you should really read some Russian boards. They’re much worse, and often offensive.

    If everything is fine with V/M and D/W - great! My mistake.

  5. #245
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    17,117
    Golden Skate is not just a board, it's a news service. And it has an owner, Paula. We are well aware that other sites have other rules. But at GS, the rules are Paula's rules. If the moderators feel that a comment does not meet Paula's rules, that comment will disappear. If the comment severely violates Paula's rules, depending on the severity of the offense, the moderators have several choices to make. A personal message mayl be sent to the poster, or a formal warning may be issued to the poster, or an infraction will be issued to the poster.

  6. #246
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Golden Skate is not just a board, it's a news service. And it has an owner, Paula. We are well aware that other sites have other rules. But at GS, the rules are Paula's rules. If the moderators feel that a comment does not meet Paula's rules, that comment will disappear. If the comment severely violates Paula's rules, depending on the severity of the offense, the moderators have several choices to make. A personal message mayl be sent to the poster, or a formal warning may be issued to the poster, or an infraction will be issued to the poster.
    Ok, well, I’ll try to adhere to the rules in the guidelines of this forum that I just reviewed and speak only about on-ice events. However, there will always be something, as the original poster who brought up this tangent said, that touches a nerve or may offend someone, without actually breaking any rules. BTW, I’ve read quite a lot of material here in the past that is speculation and completely subjective individual opinion. Would you agree that the news service is separate in tone from the forum? I find it so, and usually read the articles for news, and the forum for opinions...

  7. #247
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    17,117
    Opinion and speculation about skating are definitely encouraged in the forum, provided people do not insult each other, and do not rant, troll, flame, disclose private information about other posters, etc.. Where Paula draws a bright line is between speculation about skating and speculation about competitors' private lives and coaches' private lives.

    The general tone that our journalists use in the articles in the newsletter, and on the front page of the website

    http://www.goldenskate.com

    is meant to be as entirely factual as we can arrange, and are typically based on a journalist attending an event or interviewing a skater or team, or attending a press conference.

    So yes, the front page is definitely different in tone than the forum.

    BTW, thank you for reading the Guidelines!

    If you have changes to request or comments about the website, the forum, the newsletter, or front page articles, we have a Feedback section of the forum that we hope you will use.

    And, of course, you can always PM one of the mods for any suggestion that you would prefer to discuss privately rather than in public in the forum.

    Our goal is improve the website, if we can do it, and we rely on the input of our posters to help us do that.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 02-16-2012 at 11:32 AM.

  8. #248
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistry View Post
    Ok, well, I’ll try to adhere to the rules in the guidelines of this forum that I just reviewed and speak only about on-ice events.
    Which is what qualifies us to speak of Barbara's glare of death: it was definitely an on-ice event!

  9. #249
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    17,117
    Indeed

    Now if skater X publishes a book about her fight with anorexia, or if skater Y says her coach is a sleazebag in an interview, or Johnny Weir has a press conference to come out of the closet, we would discuss all those items because they now have a source.

    But if someone thinks Z's costume looks gay so he must be gay, or if someone things skater W scowled at his coach in the KnC, and therefore his coach is a sleazebag, or if skater Q looks really thin and must be anoexia, that is the kind of stuff we don't do.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 02-16-2012 at 11:53 AM.

  10. #250
    I like pie. Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,728
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Awww, how cute and heart warming. However, it would help figure skating's popularity greatly if these teams care to do a frienemy play for public consumption. Just act like they are bitter enemies and throw a few insults at each other when reporters and photographers are around and never get caught shaking hands behind the scene again. All for the greater good, guys.
    after living through the Evan & Johnny Wars... I don't find the petty bickering all that entertaining...

  11. #251
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The Brink of Insanity
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    after living through the Evan & Johnny Wars... I don't find the petty bickering all that entertaining...
    It also came across as really phony.

  12. #252
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Which is what qualifies us to speak of Barbara's glare of death: it was definitely an on-ice event!
    Whenever I see a paricularly laser look from one of the skaters (with the exception of Babs), I alone know exactly what said skater is thinking of.............

    Spoiler
    Spoiler

    Laundry!

  13. #253
    I like pie. Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    It also came across as really phony.
    meh, I think the fluff pieces were phony... not so much the stupid quips in the media... it was all for attention, though.

  14. #254
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    No. They beat them at the GPF twice, in 2009/2010, and again this year in 2011/2012 season, as well as at Worlds in 2011. They also technically beat them in the 2010/2011 season at 4CC's, but that should not be counted either way, since V&M were ahead in the SD, but withdrew in the FD.

    However, your point that V&M should not be buried prematurely is very, very true. On any day, either of the 2 teams could win, I think.

    However, I completely disagree that the fact that V&M love their Funny Face program (or for that matter that D&W love their Der Fledermaus program) should be what matters to the judges.

    IMO

    That should not matter to the judges at all.

    It should not even matter to the judges whether the judges like the music or not.

    What should matter to the judges is how they skate to their music, and how that skating conforms to the rules, both for TES and PCS.

    If it mattered whether the judges liked the music, I doubt very much that D&W would have won with Il Postino.
    \

    I thought what I was saying was fairly straight forward but apparently not. With reference to D&W's winning streak - they've beaten V&M only twice since the Olympics. That's the only point I was making.

    Also I didn't say the judges should judge it because V&M love it, but because they skate it well.

  15. #255
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    17,117
    I'm still not getting your point then. I fail to see why the 2010 Four Continents, which was a couple of week before the Olympics doesn't count.

    And if you agree that the choice of music doesn't, and shouldn't, count in scoring, then I am even more baffled.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •