Free Dance Sunday 4:45 PM EST | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Free Dance Sunday 4:45 PM EST

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Protocals are out:
D/W lost a lot on levels--I've never seen so many level 3s from them in a long time! Their BV was actually less than the Shibs and W/P and even Hubbell/Donahue. The Shibs actually had the second highest BV in the FD today. W/P won on +GOE and PCS, which makes sense given that Alex was not performing at his best.

ETA: D/W got solid GOE. They got a whopping 12 more points that way (all +2 and +3). V/M racked up more +GOE (12.57 points) though.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
One mercy, we won't have to hear US sports or the announcer going on about how many straight victories they had at Worlds. Too reminiscent of the year the Patriots won everything except the Superbowl.

It's been annoying me for some time.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Meryl and Charlie were clearly pacing themselves throughout the whole program, which is what you have to do when playing sports at altitude. They were a tad off in some areas (both step sequences, a little late entering and exiting lifts, the spin could have been better, and their edges were not as deep or held as long as normal) and of course they were late at the end. Overall, a fair result. I'll say it again, the event should NOt be this close to either US or Canadian nationals. USFSA and Skate Canada have to bite the bullet and move up a week each, football or no football.

It's not just football, though. Everything - regionals, sectionals, etc - would need to move up. I'd rather they put 4CC and Worlds back a little more.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Yup, the protocols showed Davis/White lost a ton of levels. Their twizzles were only level 3, the spin, and the circular step sequence. Like jcoates said, their edges weren't as deep as usual, and edge clarity is pretty important when a strict tech panel is at work. The judges still gave them minutely more PCS than Virtue/Moir, though (unlike the SD). However, Virtue/Moir got higher GOE. Hard to forecast judge's preferences based on this, I guess Davis/White still has an edge at Worlds, but it will be close unless someone makes a mistake.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
One mercy, we won't have to hear US sports or the announcer going on about how many straight victories they had at Worlds. Too reminiscent of the year the Patriots won everything except the Superbowl.

Being a Patriots and D/W fan I know exactly what you mean, Doris. lol

lmarie086

Medalist

I know! It's been bothering me as well (I'm still especially sensitive about the Patriots' almost perfect season. 13-1, ugh). Now they can just talk about how they're hungry to get back to the top again.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
At least we shouldn't hear how Judy Blumberg is responsible for everything eville in the world.

I just hope Alex and Charlie are both OK. They both looked really ill after their skates.

IN dumped me just before Meryl & Charlie skated, and only let me back on after watching a retirement commercial. I came in just before the twizzles.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
So is Keegan Messing :laugh:

Every mother crow thinks her own little crow is the blackest.

You have to give us East Coasters the right to like our favorites.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

However, you will have to hear hasty pro-forma rationalizations from V/M ubers who will either

a) State that this guarantees V/M's victory at worlds.
B) Will ignore it and reiterate the commitment the judges have to placing D/W on top.

At least we shouldn't hear how Judy Blumberg is responsible for everything eville in the world.

You're an optimist, I see :)

Serious Business

Record Breaker
There is more than just the altitude at work here. Patrick Chan, who is undeniably one of the best conditioned athletes at the competition, and trains right in Colorado Springs, said (and demonstrated) that it was hard to get air in the arena. He pretty much said it was excruciating after the skate. My guess is something is very wrong with the ventilation in the arena currently. This can be fixed. There have been competitions in Colorado Springs before without anything like this.

figureskate

On the Ice
Can you please stop making posts with links to your website in every thread? Please stop calling this "analysis" as well, because all you ever do is post the scores and give an extremely brief description of the performances (usually just naming elements).

sorry, i did not know that was bothering you, i won't do that again. I hope I was not so intrusive on your pc.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
There is more than just the altitude at work here. Patrick Chan, who is undeniably one of the best conditioned athletes at the competition, and trains right in Colorado Springs, said (and demonstrated) that it was hard to get air in the arena. He pretty much said it was excruciating after the skate. My guess is something is very wrong with the ventilation in the arena currently. This can be fixed. There have been competitions in Colorado Springs before without anything like this.

Interesting point. Were there all these issues when 4CC was in Colorado Springs in 2007?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
On the podium, the medalists were standing for photographing and Scott moved his head to a side from behind Tessa to be better seen. Tall Andrew put his arm around Scott and lifted him up a bit. :laugh: Andrew doesn't just hoist chicks. ;)

tulosai

Record Breaker
This is the first time Virtue/Moir has beaten Davis/White since 2010 Worlds, I believe. Congrats to them! They are my favorite ice dancing team ever and they were pretty good here. I just really, really dislike the Funny Face FD, while I think Die Fledermaus is a masterpiece. So I hope Davis/White makes a comeback at Worlds, because they're losing momentum against Virtue/Moir.

This is exactly how I feel.