Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Free Dance Sunday 4:45 PM EST

Tripping on the Podium Narumi1997's Avatar
    107??? That seems a little low...

skating philosopher
    Looks like D/W lost on TES. They actual beat V/M on PCS. That is an interesting development.

Charlie was a little annoyed with that score looked like, but they were already discussing what it must have been that was the difference.

Interesting. I wonder where D&W lost it. I couldn't tell.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Charlie looked like he was going to die after that.

He had blue circles under his eyes and his face was white as white as White.

skating philosopher
    As others have discussed on the other threads, what you're seeing today is not a reflection of a lack of conditioning. If anything, it's because D/W and S/S are so well-conditioned they were able to get through their FD relatively clean. They not being 100 percent is really a reflection of their reaction to high altitude.

Custom Title
    Wow...what a final flight!!! amazing skating, and way to push through, Alex!!!!

I always fall in love with V/M free dances; but I don't have the knowledge to figure out who 'should' score higher between them and D/W. I'm so impressed with both teams. Can't wait to read all the comments from more knowledgeable dance fans.

For now, congrats to all the medalists!

Custom Title
    The results were fair. Meryl and Charlie are the fastest ice dancers in the world and I am sure the altitude got to them more than it did to the others. This is cruel and unusual punishment for me and all the fans.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    This is the first time Virtue/Moir has beaten Davis/White since 2010 Worlds, I believe. Congrats to them! They are my favorite ice dancing team ever and they were pretty good here. I just really, really dislike the Funny Face FD, while I think Die Fledermaus is a masterpiece. So I hope Davis/White makes a comeback at Worlds, because they're losing momentum against Virtue/Moir.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    As others have discussed on the other threads, what you're seeing today is not a reflection of a lack of conditioning. If anything, it's because D/W and S/S are so well-conditioned they were able to get through their FD relatively clean. Still they're going to suffer depending on how they react to high altitude.
    ??? I'm hoping jcoates can explain this one more.

I had a feeling it was going to be V/M for the gold on this one. D/W skated well, but they've been better too. I got a sense that they were kind of stressed out the whole dance, and if Charlie's asthma was kicking in that would certainly be a distraction. So kudos to them for getting through it, but I did think that V/M outdanced them here.

One thing I've been wanting to see in Die Fledermaus is more mischief in the character presentation from Meryl and Charlie. They're at a masquerade, no? There's going to be some mischief, some cheeky looks-I don't know, I just think there could be more. But I do love the piece for them.

Winning here is great momentum for Tessa and Scott going into Worlds-they just beat a team that hadn't lost since they beat them themselves at 2010 Worlds.

Gotta say though, a little awkward that a good number of the questions in the post-FD interview seemed to involve Meryl and Charlie, rather than how it felt for Tessa and Scott to win here and the such.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Davis/White will still win at Worlds. Virtue/Moir get to win next year.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    ??? I'm hoping jcoates can explain this one more.
    Me too.

I think the ISU is going to have to reconsider holding events in high altitude places...

Custom Title
    I'm actually glad that Davis/White placed second here. I've thought for quite awhile now that they need to look a little bit closer at this FD- add a little bit more interesting choreography in some places that utilizes both people in the couple instead of having so many standing poses for Charlie where he literally turns away from Meryl. They say that they've been working on the little touches of intimacy between the two of them and I don't really see it. They also need to work on their leg action and leg placement in the little waltzy hops that occur throughout this dance. It's a good vehicle for them but they haven't really done all that much change or refinement since the season started.

This will force them to go back to the drawing board a bit and hammer out those small details- there's still time- over a month till Worlds. It's still a good program but this is a wakeup call. They can do it though- I know they can.

Custom Title
    Meryl and Charlie were clearly pacing themselves throughout the whole program, which is what you have to do when playing sports at altitude. They were a tad off in some areas (both step sequences, a little late entering and exiting lifts, the spin could have been better, and their edges were not as deep or held as long as normal) adn of course they were late at the end. Overall, a fair result. I'll say it again, the event should NOt be this close to either US or Canadian nationals. USFSA and Skate Canada have to bite the bullet and move up a week each, football or no football.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast