Pairs Long Program 2:00 PM EST | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Pairs Long Program 2:00 PM EST

fairly4

Medalist
congrats to all medalist
for s/h for winning, d/c for coming in 2nd and m/b for coming in 3rd

StellaCampo

On the Ice
Firstly, Sui/Han deserved to win. By including those high base value elements (which are actually undervaluled in pairs skating, I feel), they start with such sky high base value that it would take a poor skate from them AND a great skate from someone else to win. That didn't happen.

Secondly, that they deserved to win doesn't mean they weren't overscored, or that overscoring doesn't matter.

Here's the criteria for Skating Skills

a) Outside the elements, it's all two foot skating. Very much stroke, stroke, stroke

b) They're quick, but it's not effortless. It's the same thing Murakami struggled with and why her SS aren't as high as they could be even though she's fast, so you don't have that glide, that smoothness, that precision, that high skating skill technicians are able to get.

c) There's very little in the way of great edge control that again, we see in the top teams (not here, but in general)

So already, out of the seven criteria, they lack a strong hold with four of them. They did well in the multi-directional skating and showed a variety of speed well, and seemed pretty equal to me. To me, that's around a six. What do you think, skateflower?

ITA, ImaginaryPogue. Sui/Han, and Kanako, alas, have this rather untidy, headache-inducing look. Is it the skating? S/H are rightly rewarded for those difficult elements, which are, however, intrinsically not to do with skating ability, but more to do with circus.

Last edited:

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I think there needs to be a restriction on Pairs that pre-pubescent females cannot compete. Sui has the body of a child, regardless of her age, and is much smaller physically than the adult women she competes against. This gives Sui & Han a huge edge in the throw elements since she would not have accumulated adult bone mass and would be much lighter.

DianaSelene

Medalist
All of those users who are saying that S/H's skating skills are pretty good and they have the power and speed, do you not know the difference between nice, controlled speed and hectic speed? When you see a top class skater, they do everything with speed and power but it is clean and neat. They are not a complete mess on the ice. With S/H, they are quick... OOOOKKKKKK. But it seems more like they are using speed to cover up the fact that their skating and elements are not pretty at all. Of course it takes much more of an effort and maturity to skate to a slower piece and show off your lines and your carriage.

Well, why do that when we can just hectically get through our program and make it look so fast and fun that everyone forgets about our lack of good lines and artistry? Very smart indeed for S/H. They actually look throughout the program that they are trying to catch up to something, whether it is a particular element or the music. They dive into their side by side spins as if their life depends on it. Even on the slow parts of the music, their speed is almost the same as in the quickest part of the program. Let's give them a P/T, S/S, V/T, B/L, or especially K/T program. How will they skate to Claire de Lune? I can just imagine them FEROCIOUSLY jumping into their quad salchow (two-footed almost every time by the way) to that slow, sweet sound, hitting the air with frantic hand movements, and doing painful, over-the-top facial expressions to the last beats.

Now, the score..... 135 :unsure::disapp::scowl: Really? A judge gave them 2+ for their two-footed quad. Many of their technical elements got GOEs that only the world podium would have. V/T got 137 at euros. They were not completely clean, but do we even have to compare them? Or the fact that B/L got 63 for pcs while S/H got 59? :confused: I am hoping this is just because four continents over inflates marks because they are indeed ridiculous. S/H should get AT LEAST 7 points lower in pcs than B/L. Or how about we just put them ahead of S/S and V/T at worlds. After all, their circus tricks are way superior. The 3 flip is so much better than S/S. Their quad twist and salchow are completely clean. The jumps were very well executed (even though it looked like Sui was using all her energy to just be able to get in the air with that 3T-2T-2T.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
All of those users who are saying that S/H's skating skills are pretty good and they have the power and speed, do you not know the difference between nice, controlled speed and hectic speed? When you see a top class skater, they do everything with speed and power but it is clean and neat. They are not a complete mess on the ice. With S/H, they are quick... OOOOKKKKKK. But it seems more like they are using speed to cover up the fact that their skating and elements are not pretty at all. Of course it takes much more of an effort and maturity to skate to a slower piece and show off your lines and your carriage.

I have noticed that their LP has a lot of arm waving and frantic upper body movements to draw your eyes away from they legs and feet. All that frantic upper body movement fairly screams “Look HERE!” and you don’t notice their weak stroking that doesn’t matching, the lack of leg lines, stretch or good posture. In the SP, they are seldom skating side by side, and have a lot of cutesy movements in and around one another which disguises the lack of connection and match in these two. He is so small that the moment she grows, or even the weight gain when she hits puberty will finish them off.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Or the fact that B/L got 63 for pcs while S/H got 59? :confused: I am hoping this is just because four continents over inflates marks because they are indeed ridiculous. S/H should get AT LEAST 7 points lower in pcs than B/L. Or how about we just put them ahead of S/S and V/T at worlds. After all, their circus tricks are way superior. The 3 flip is so much better than S/S. Their quad twist and salchow are completely clean. The jumps were very well executed (even though it looked like Sui was using all her energy to just be able to get in the air with that 3T-2T-2T.

B/L, again? Are you related to them or something? How about B should retire because she's stick on ice and probably going to break her twiggy legs anytime soon in one of these throws. This girl doesn't eat in order for L to throw her successfully? Everytime I look at B/L, she makes me sick.
They are the most boring pair around. It's a joke their PCS is 63. Should be 53 when S/H got 59.

DianaSelene

Medalist
B/L, again? Are you related to them or something? How about B should retire because she's stick on ice and probably going to break her twiggy legs anytime soon in one of these throws. This girl doesn't eat in order for L to throw her successfully? Everytime I look at B/L, she makes me sick.
They are the most boring pair around. It's a joke their PCS is 63. Should be 53 when S/H got 59.

You seem to passionately hate B/L, which is fine. But at least when I comment on S/H, I do not comment on her size, weight, or legs. Just her skating. Also, your word choice is quite unintelligent- "gross", "sick", ugly". I do not go around calling Rachael Flatt that. You know why? Because it's wrong. I will further ignore your hateful, unnecessary, and insulting comments.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've always felt Bazarova / Larionov were underwhelming. She is delicate and pretty, and he is solid, thick and expressionless. She doesn't always land jumps and throws while he is usually steady on the jumps. Their best quality is....that she is delicate and pretty and has nice lines in the air. But as a pair they have no charisma and are about as exciting as tepid tea.

Sui/Han are sloppy but they are fun to watch. And they do tricks B/L could never hope to pull off.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
B&L remind me of T&M. Both are lovely to watch, have incredible matching lines and beautiful skating skills but both teams are a cure for insomnia. So when watching B&L, no matter how boring they may be, I remember that T&M are World and Olympic Champions, and that B&L should not be dismissed lightly, unless of course she continues to make mistakes.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
B/L's lack of charisma is indeed a huge negative when compared with Savchenko / Szolkowy's innovation and creativity and Volosozhar / Trankov's flair and drama. Even Kavaguti / Smirnov are more exciting, despite Yuka's bored expression.

I don't see B/L ever becoming World or Olympic champions given their competition, even if she skates clean.

DianaSelene

Medalist
But here is the key, no matter how boring B/L are, they have the superior skating skills and everything else under pcs. No one can deny that with those boring slow programs, they have a great quality of skating. Are they extraordinary, mesmerizing, etc? No. But they deserve the scores they get when they skate clean which is from 124-128. They don't try to cover up anything with their hands. I can clearly see their edges and footwork without anything in the way.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
You seem to passionately hate B/L, which is fine. But at least when I comment on S/H, I do not comment on her size, weight, or legs. Just her skating. Also, your word choice is quite unintelligent- "gross", "sick", ugly". I do not go around calling Rachael Flatt that. You know why? Because it's wrong. I will further ignore your hateful, unnecessary, and insulting comments.

Let me remind you what you called S/H's elements "circus tricks"
How sweet! How intelligent! How insulting, and very thinly veiled at that.

B/L PCS is a joke. Their P/E should be in the 4s. Definitely should be lower than most junior teams competing.
Their CH is a snoozefest and should be lower than most Jr.
Unless they're INterpreting counting sheep, there's no reason why their IN is that high.

If you're related to B/L in anyway, then it's ok. Mother crow thinks her baby crows are the blackest, we get it. :rolleye:

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist

B/L PCS is a joke. Their P/E should be in the 4s. Definitely should be lower than most junior teams competing.
Unless they're INterpreting counting sheep, there's no reason why their IN is that high.

If you're related to B/L in anyway, then it's ok. Mother crow thinks her baby crows are the blackest, we get it. :rolleye:

Yes, Bazarova is my uncle and Larionov is my aunt twice removed. :laugh:
Good for you, FlattFan. I hope you feel better.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree B/L's IN score should be lower than their other components, and maybe their CH as well. But if a team has a high SS score, their other component scores are kept at a similar level because judges are afraid to score "outside the corridor". I'd give them a slightly lower SS score to begin with, though.

tulosai

Record Breaker

I agree with Diane (perhaps unsurprisingly). This comment (other than the last sentance) is fine. You can dislike B/L, and that is just fine. But saying she doesn't eat and is sickly to the point where she is going to break a leg when thrown is over the top and very rude. Unless YOU are related to her and know her personally you cannot possibly know what she eats and whether or not she is in REALITY sickly, strong, or in between. I will grant that she is quite tiny, and perhaps relative to other pairs skaters she (correctly or incorrectly) appears a certain way to you. However, outward apperance is at best an imperfect marker of how healthy or not someone is. Bigger pairs skaters than her may well not eat and have a problem; she well may not. Unless you want to cite an article, to me your comments went too far.

Again, you can not like them; it is fine. But the tone of your first comment, IMO, was not fine and was further extremely provocative.

I too hope you feel better now.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Sui/Han deserved to win but they didn't deserve nearly as much credit as they got:

1.) The Quad Salchow was overscored. She has already done a full turn by the time he releases her and it was a blatantly two-footed landing. Not one of the biggest throws out there either, for modern pairs skating.

2.) The side-by-side 3Toe-2Toe-2Toe was a disgrace. First of all, both of her 2Toe's were underrotated and didn't get called. Second of all, this should have been -2 GOE across the board for such small, shaky jumps and horrendous destruction of unison.

3.) The Quad Twist again featured her doing a full turn before he fully releases and then she lands on his shoulder, almost like a sack of potatoes. One judge thought that was worthy of +3 GOE.

4.) The side-by-side spin lost unison and became overly separated. Some judges think that is worthy of a +2 GOE. It should have been -1.

5.) She very noticeably loses balance and position on the first lift but there is no penalty, just +GOE yet again in fact.

6.) Positive GOE across the board for the 2Axels, in which she does a tiny jump and he lands on the wrong edge.

7.) She is too far up from the ice on the death spiral and this move features the typical loss of speed and flow from the change-of-hand. Almost every judge gives it +2 GOE.

8.) Their throw Triple Flip was nice, but +3 GOE from almost every judge? So, this was as good of a throw as Savchenko/Swolkowy at their best? I don't buy it.

If you change those grades to what I feel is appropriate, Sui/Han were overscored in the tech mark by 9 points.

Sui/Han deserve to go to dead last:)

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
????

Even BoP said Sui & Han deserved to win. Overscoring never does anyone any real favors in the long run.