Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 276

Thread: Pairs Long Program 2:00 PM EST

  1. #181
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,030
    Congrats to Sui and Han they were just fabulous and their score WOW!!!!!!

    Congrats to Caydee and John and Marybeth and Rockne, well done!!!

    Shout out to Paige and Rudie I really enjoyed their program.

  2. #182
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    103

    qustionable music choices abound

    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    This music is completely beyond Mary Beth.
    seems to me they arent the only ones with poor music choices . It is so important to chose music that suits the talents and " look" of the team .

    D/R music seems out of sync with their character - she is such a fireball that something much more up tempo would surely be better - slower music surely invites long lines and super stretch which Megan doesnt have - but what she does have is fire and passion which is hard to bring out with this music choice ( her hair and makeup could do with an upgrade too ) .

    C/D music just awful - why go classical when you have such a unique super modern look - take advantage of her " edginess" and create something unique for them not just the standard same old pairs choreography .

    Ans as you say , Rachmaninoff for a pair with a 16 year old ??? The looked more relaxed and skated so much more comfortably to Singing in the Rain .

    Who chooses the music usuaolly - is it the skakers , the coach or the choreographer ( if different from the coach ) ? or does it vary from team to team ?

  3. #183
    Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by gottadance View Post
    seems to me they arent the only ones with poor music choices . It is so important to chose music that suits the talents and " look" of the team .

    D/R music seems out of sync with their character - she is such a fireball that something much more up tempo would surely be better - slower music surely invites long lines and super stretch which Megan doesnt have - but what she does have is fire and passion which is hard to bring out with this music choice ( her hair and makeup could do with an upgrade too ) .

    C/D music just awful - why go classical when you have such a unique super modern look - take advantage of her " edginess" and create something unique for them not just the standard same old pairs choreography .

    Ans as you say , Rachmaninoff for a pair with a 16 year old ??? The looked more relaxed and skated so much more comfortably to Singing in the Rain .

    Who chooses the music usuaolly - is it the skakers , the coach or the choreographer ( if different from the coach ) ? or does it vary from team to team ?
    You are totally spot on with all your suggestions and criticisms! As for who picks the music, from what I've read, I think it's usually the choreographer, but coaches/skaters of course have to agree to it. And there are some occasions where a skater brings a piece of music to a choreographer. A lot of times the music choice is strategically chosen to show off totally different sides of a skater/team: in Marley/Brubaker's case, they want something fun and perky for the SP, but then something sophisticated and grand for the FS. Of course, Mary Beth isn't quite there yet with the sophisticated. Although I don't blame this on her age, just her personal artistic sensibilities aren't currently suited to it. After all, Maia Shibutani won senior world bronze with two very sophisticated performances when she was 16

  4. #184
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THREE MEDALISTS, WELL DESERVED, WELL DESERVED!!!!

    Sui & Han remind me of G&G in terms of being the best pair team in the world at such a young age ; they should easily win Sochi 2014, just as G&G did in 1988 at ages 16 & 20, then again in 1994 as a married couple. (:^)

    Denney & Coughlin can easily compete with the best in the W-O-R-L-D, as they just showed here. Work on that quad throw & quad twist and they too could tie Sui & Han for World Dominance!!!!!
    G/G had glorious skating skills at a young age. S/H not so much. Please watch Katia's skating skills and take a a look at Sui's. Its criminal that they are getting those type of scores for Skating skills. They are the Tim Goebel of pair skating. Sure can to the tricks. But cannot skate. She does have charisma-but what primarly is needed is- skating skills.

    And of course its easier to throw a girl who ways 60 pounds in the air 4 times than its to throw a full grown person. The same can be said for G/G of course, but G/G's were amazing skaters. who were taught how to skate by some of the very best in the business. Once Katia grew there was no more Quad twists by G/G although (they likely also dropped it due to not getting rewarded for it). But it didn't matter because there was more there than just being able to to do some tricks. There was the best basic skating in the world.

    It would be a crime of epic proportions if Sui/Han win gold over V/T or S/S. There's no way in two years time their skating skills will catch up with those teams.
    Last edited by bekalc; 02-12-2012 at 04:46 PM.

  5. #185
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    Seriously, 116 for that program? Am I the only one who thinks the scoring in this competition is just wrong? Over 7 for CH and Interpretation? Stolbova and Klimov got 114 for a much better program at Euros, and they are better skaters than Marley/Brubaker
    As a rule, 4CC tracks higher than Euros (which makes the dance event particularly odd). Indeed, some teams/skaters actually earn higher PCS here than at their own Nationals. We've been complaining about S/H's PCS for years, though. Won't change now that they actually do things better.

  6. #186
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    nvm , I checked the roster list for jr. worlds and Sui/Han are listed
    really wanted Davankova/Deputat to get gold

  7. #187
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,083
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    nvm , I checked the roster list for jr. worlds and Sui/Han are listed
    really wanted Davankova/Deputat to get gold
    Not that it will happen. D/D won't get reward for the many things they do better than S/H.

  8. #188
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    1,607
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Not that it will happen. D/D won't get reward for the many things they do better than S/H.
    Are Sui/Han really going to Jr.Worlds? Why? What's the point? I was hoping for D/D to get the gold too. Are they still junior eligible next season?

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    I know jr. worlds will be D/D debut and will be disadvantaged by PCS but given the other fields
    they have a shot of medaling

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    Are Sui/Han really going to Jr.Worlds? Why? What's the point? I was hoping for D/D to get the gold too. Are they still junior eligible next season?
    this is I think S/H last junior worlds though I wasn't expecting they would compete again and just transition to seniors

  10. #190
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    Are Sui/Han really going to Jr.Worlds? Why? What's the point? I was hoping for D/D to get the gold too. Are they still junior eligible next season?
    Sui/Han are still eligible for junior events next season. But if Pang/Tong and Zhangs get three spots at senior worlds for China this year, Sui/Han will go to senior worlds definitely.

  11. #191
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    Shout out to Paige and Rudie I really enjoyed their program.
    me too! I really like this team, more so than the other two at 4CCs...

  12. #192
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    Are Sui/Han really going to Jr.Worlds? Why? What's the point?
    It's an easy win. I guess if it doesn't make them too tired, why not.


    The top 2 were pretty strong today... The rest, not so much. A ton of sloppiness everywhere. I hope the Canadian teams can get it together or Canada is going to look silly for not sending M-T&M to Worlds after the type of international results they've had recently.

  13. #193
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,744
    Caydee and John should skate to 'She's Got The Look', 'Dangerous', and 'Joyride' by Roxette, all mixed together in a medley. :P

  14. #194
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    G/G had glorious skating skills at a young age. S/H not so much. Please watch Katia's skating skills and take a a look at Sui's. Its criminal that they are getting those type of scores for Skating skills. They are the Tim Goebel of pair skating. Sure can to the tricks. But cannot skate. She does have charisma-but what primarly is needed is- skating skills.

    It would be a crime of epic proportions if Sui/Han win gold over V/T or S/S. There's no way in two years time their skating skills will catch up with those teams.


    I thought their score here was already a crime. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with them winning. They did a great skate for the young kids that they are. The problem is that they skate and look like exactly that: young kids. They bounded across the ice with great enthusiasm and did some great tricks (though I thought the judges must have disregarded the many small flaws on the elements), but they looked junior.

    I think they have amazing potential. She is a natural diva (something I've never seen in a Chinese woman skater) and I think they could well develop into world champions IF she can get through puberty without falling apart and they develop their PAIR skills.

    This is where I think the judging broke down. I'm a fan of the new judging system, but not in pairs. I think COP has helped many of the disciplines, but has made pairs increasingly ugly, slow and not about two skating as one. Because there is nowhere in the scores to take that into account — to judge the chemistry, the pairness of it all, which is the point in this discipline. So you get a couple of kids who make occasional choreographic nods to their music, don't relate to each other at all, but put up huge scores. As it is, their PCS should be nowhere near where it was scored here.

    Grumble, grumble.

  15. #195
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,351
    You may call Sui/Han juniorish, but no Junior or Senior Pairs do a quad, let alone two, but this two "kids". And they are entertaining, getting the audience involved. They can't have these achievements without relating to each other.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •