How well will Polina Korobeynikova do at this years World Championships? | Golden Skate

How well will Polina Korobeynikova do at this years World Championships?

oksanafan

Match Penalty
How well will Polina Korobeynikova do at this years World Championships?

Polina Korobeynikova's debut at this years world championships is a significant moment as she will be the first of the much talked about Russian juniors to compete for the world title. She made mistakes in her short program on her senior debut at this years European Championships, but then came back with an amazing long program to almost grab a medal. Had she done as well in her SP as her LP, she would have taken the silver medal behind only Kostner. It is also worth pointing out that had it not been her debut, her PCS would have been even higher and she may even have then challenged Kostner for the title.

This years field in the ladies event at the world championships is not as strong as in previous years. Kostner has watered down content. Mao and Leonova have been struggling, with Leonova suffering a knee injury at the EC's. Ando and Kim are not even competing. Who knows which Akiko will be turning up. Alissa always seems to suffer from nerves at WC's. Wagner is on the rise, but how far can she go at a WC's? Kiira, Elene G, the Helgesson's probably have no more than an outside chance of a medal. As for Lepisto, out injured. Polina K cannot therefore be ruled out and I just have a sneaking suspicion that she is a dark horse who could just come through a relatively weak field to win the world title in the same way that Kimmie Miessner did back in 2006. It's certainly a possibility.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This year I think anything is possible :) Certainly Polina is one of many who have to be considered seriously.

herro

On the Ice
This year I think anything is possible :) Certainly Polina is one of many who have to be considered seriously.

Exactly. The top 10 spots at Worlds are so open this year that it will just come down to who skates cleanly on that night. Polina definitely has the capability of snatching a medal if she skates cleanly. She really impressed me with her free at Europeans.